Nothing Hurts Like Tooth Pain :(

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Got some sort of infection in one of my teeth that has had a cavity for sometime and needs a root canal done. I cannot describe the agony, especially on laying down(due to blood pressure change apparently). Codeine hasn't helped, ibuprofen hasn't helped, mouthwash hasn't helped, I have no idea how to deal with another sleepless night, really affects mental state and is just in general lonely when you live alone.

Anyone else experienced this sort of dreadful, sharp shooting all round your head and jaw, tooth pain ?

Replies

• DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    no but i hope u feel better soon (hugs)
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're in pain. Have you tried calling your dentist's (or doctor's) after-hours number? He/she can call in a prescription for pain meds and antibiotic to help get you through the night or weekend until you can get in there. Otherwise I thought of orajel or whatever that thing is called that you put on a baby's gums. It might dull it a little, but I vote for calling the doctor..
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I feel your pain. I had a tooth infection and double ear infection all at once when I was pregnant with my youngest son. I was in absolute misery. I would wake up in the middle of the night literally screaming because of the pain. I went to the dentist and he gave me an antibiotic which helped after a few days, but my double ear infection lasted 2 months. Definitely go see a dentist as soon as possible so you can get rid of that infection! Another thing I did was take a water bottle, filled it up with hot water and laid on it.. It helped. Hope you feel better soon!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    That's terrible, I'm sorry.

When I get jaw pain from clenching during a migraine I find an ice pack helps a bit. I haven't found a medication that works.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain seriously, right now in fact.
  • icreate
    icreate Posts: 60
    Options
    save that tooth :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I'd rather vaginally birth triplets!! Tooth pain is HELL! I am so sorry! Any chance you have Vicodin??
  • amy32lynn
    amy32lynn Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    go to the ER,,,,,,,,,, they can hopefully help!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has helped me is antibiotics, vitamin C, teas, and some type of purified water. I'll take an ibuprofen as soon as it starts, along with huge doses of C, and it seems to keep it at bay until I can get rid of the infection. I have recurring toothaches (because I don't have money to get all the dental work I need done), so I totally sympathize. I'd rather go through multiple births in succession, or go back to suffering hellish cramps than feel any sort of tooth pain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Try some Ambesol, but make sure to see a dentist soon. Infections in the teeth and gums can spread throughout the bones in your mandible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I really can sympathise. I had an abscess in one of my teeth earlier this year which refused to clear up (and another last yeah - great few years, lol). I ended up having to take 3 different lots of antibiotics one after the other and I was in agony for weeks before my tooth was OK for the dentist to work on it.

The only thing I found that worked (and I'm not saying this is a great plan for long) was codeine (I have lots of it thanks at a decent strength to a wrist injury), paracetamol and ibuprofen all at max dose spread through the day (I took the paracetamol and codeine together - basically making my own co-codamol) - just make sure you write down somewhere what you took when and keep the paracetamol and ibuprofen 2 hours apart (doctors/dentists always tell me this - am assuming it's so you don't suddenly run out of all pain relief at once). I'm sure it really wasn't great for my organs but it's the only way I could get even an hour of relief. Washing your mouth out with salt water may help too but really the only thing you can do is get to the dentist asap - even an emergency one so you can start treatment of some sort asap. The 'good' news is eventually you will get so exhausted you'll sleep for a bit. Sleeping more upright helps too (keeps the pressure down) and I kept a wet, cold facecloth over the sore bit of jaw. Mind, pressing on the jaw/tooth and sobbing like a baby also helped briefly. Toothache really is the worst thing.
  • quiggley
    quiggley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try Clove Oil it really works they sell it for Tooth pain in a tiny bottle with some cotton balls but you can just buy the regular oil cheaper and do it yourself.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My son had that a few months ago and is still undergoing the treatments for all the things they found. But they got him the temp filling on the one that was hurting as soon as possible until they could do the root canal, which was just a few days ago. But at least the filling stopped the pain until the insurance approved the referral for the root canal. But you mentioned that ibuprofen didn't work...they gave him a 400 mg prescription on the emergency visit after doing all the x-rays and scheduling the repair work within the week. But that didn't work for him...so they upped it to 600 mg 3 to 4 times a day the next day and that gave him enough relief that he could get by until the rest of the work could be done. So I don't know what dosage you've taken -- but you might try upping it and seeing if it works better --- then get theeself to the dentist ASAP!! Prayers for pain relief go with you....I know my son was truly miserable during his incident!
  • Mootpoint
    Mootpoint Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Had this earlier in the year. The dentist advised a routine ( though I suspect you should ask your dentist first) of paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately at four hour intervals. It helped a little - but the pain was horrid. Couldn't sleep or eat for about three to four days. Ended up going to the emergency dentist who cleaned it up and gave me a very fast-acting painkilling injection!

I would reiterate that you get yourself to the dentist quickly, though. :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Try some Ambesol, but make sure to see a dentist soon. Infections in the teeth and gums can spread throughout the bones in your mandible.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    This. Tooth pain is hell, but if it spreads throughout your jaw, it goes way beyond hell.

If you aren't averse to it, swish a little hard liquor over the tooth like mouthwash, alcohol is a pretty good antibiotic on its own, I've used that trick for a tooth infection until I could get to a dentist.
  • Shy_girl89
    Options
    Yes i feal u i had the same thing the pain would wake me up at night and drive me mad crazy!! I had waited so long for the root canal my teeth was infected anyways .then it started hurting sometimes then .. All the time!!! I didnt really have money for dentist so i would put some oral b gel . It frezzes the pain a lil but at the end nothing would cut it i had to go consult or i would rip it out myself ! So i went to the dentist and the told me it was 50/50 chances if i did do the root canal for it to come back and its really expencive! So i decided to just take the tooth out it was in the back and now i feal great! Omg the pain ..
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try to get some vicodin prescribed. I've had the exact problem and vicodin was the only thing that worked...codeine for some reason doesn't really help with tooth pain, vicodin can at least take the edge off.

good luck!
  • coops9999
    coops9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I swear by salt in lukewarm water swirled around in there and a dose of Ibuprofen. The water has to be warm, but not too warm, about the same as your body temperature. I know a few others who use a warm tea bag held in the area of the pain, but I've never needed to try it as the 'saline solution' has nearly always worked for me.... Good luck!
  • coops9999
    coops9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Shygirl_89

I hope this doesn't break any rules, but I too was put off by the cost of dentistry here in the States, I'm originally from the UK, but found a discount plan offered by 'Careington' and found a dentist that accepted the plan and the costs are reduced by a decent margin considering the monthly cost of the discount plan. Maybe worth looking into? I also should state that I do not work for them in case this is deemed as a sales pitch....
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Glad but not glad to know I am not alone this experience. I was put on antibiotics but waiting for them to kick in and worrying the pain will continue in spite of. It seems to come and go and spreads up the side of my head and round my jaw. It is just so crap that it hurts the worst when laying down. Can hardly sleep standing up.

Am using ibuprofen as I don't like taking codeine as I already take temazepam to sleep and they can interact. Codeine didn't work anyways.the dentist did put an emergency filling in but it came out within thirty minutes of being put in so no use at all.

Really going I can get some sleep as I am utterly exhausted.