Weighlifting without a spotter?

Options
This is seriously one of the only things that holds me back from going to the gym to lift free-weights (Free-weights are much preferable to dumb-bells, calisthenics or machines).

does anyone here make use of free-weights without having a spotter? I'm thinking of just going to the gym and just saying "the heck with it"-- and start lifting without a spotter. I know this is dangerous but I guess I don't really have a choice. Is there anyone else out there that does this?

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just find a gym that has a power rack.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler36.htm
    mike
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I never have a spotter. I use the power rack and make use of the heavy dumbbells. I have some great progress the past year. It can be done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Just find a gym that has a power rack.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler36.htm
    mike
    This. Power Racks have safety bar catchers in case you have to dump the weight. Lol, I've put them to good use many times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lift at home without a spotter all the time. A rack is all you need.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also lift without a spotter. Just take time to learn and test your limits. You can get books, read online, watch videos. Once in a while I have someone at the gym watch me try something new. But, there are many things you can do more easily than you may realize. It's always better to have some guidance for form, but it's not always possible. You know what your own injuries are (if you have had any), so be mindful of that.

The way people talked about weight lifting I thought it was somehow more complicated than it is. But, I quickly learned that it is not like juggling barbells while riding a unicycle.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lift without a spotter. I make sure I use a squat rack/power cage for squats. On days that I am going particularly heavy (for me) on bench, I will either ask someone to spot me on my last set or make sure I keep 'one in the bag' so I do not actually go to failure.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I know it's dangerous but I lift heavy at home without a spotter.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, 'heavy' and with no spotter. Film yourself to do form checks if necessary.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a training partner in about 8 months now and I still lift, can't let that stop you. You just have to know your limitations and if you have to be 100% certain about what you're lifting. When in doubt, ask somebody to give you a quick spot. Other than that, I just pray that no tendons or muscles snap in the middle of a bench or squat.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    This is seriously one of the only things that holds me back from going to the gym to lift free-weights (Free-weights are much preferable to dumb-bells, calisthenics or machines).

does anyone here make use of free-weights without having a spotter? I'm thinking of just going to the gym and just saying "the heck with it"-- and start lifting without a spotter. I know this is dangerous but I guess I don't really have a choice. Is there anyone else out there that does this?
    Dumbbells are free weights. Although you can lift more on a bar (particularly with bench press), lifting with dumbbells engages more stabilizing muscles.

If you are lifting heavy enough to be concerned about getting a spotter, do all your warm up lifts and then ask some other iron junkie to spot you for the heavies. Problem solved!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting heavy enough to be concerned about getting a spotter, do all your warm up lifts and then ask some other iron junkie to spot you for the heavies. Problem solved!

Yup. For the most part every set shouldn't be to failure, so it's not liek you'll need a spotter on every set anyway, maybe just the last one or two. But this is also where experience comes into play and knowing what's going on with your body and how to/how to not progress.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Me, too.

Like everyone else says, no spotter, just using the power rack.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the power rack with no spotter. I lift in the 6-8 rep range. If I were lifting close to my 1 rep max, I'd use a spotter. You can also use rest-pause. If you think you have a little left in you but not enough for a good rep, rack the bar for 10 seconds or so then push out the last rep. You'll develop a pretty good instinct for what you are capable of.