Sudden Carb Sensitivity?

Options
Is it possible to suddenly develop a sensitivity to complex carbohydrates?

I've noticed within the last few weeks that I can't eat bread-related foods (pita, pizza, breaded things) or white rice (haven't had the opportunity to test brown rice yet) without feeling nauseated, brain-foggy, and overall "gross" anywhere from 1 to 4 hours after eating. It often pairs with an increased feeling of unfocused anxiety. I initially thought it was a gluten sensitivity, and I'm waiting on the bloodwork from my gastro for that, but if that was the only issue then rice should not cause the same reaction...right?

I'm not really sure what to look out for as I'm figuring this stuff out, but I plan to keep a more detailed food record of what makes me feel crappy and what doesn't. Do any of you guys have similar reactions to complex carbs? Or does it sound more like the beginnings of a gluten allergy? Or something else entirely?

(No, I'm not looking for an Internet Diagnosis - I'm just curious if anyone can relate to this kind of thing, and what they're doing on their end about it.)

Replies

• ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    It's not unheard of to develop a sensitivity to any type of food at any age. Rice might cause the same reaction based upon what it was cooked in. I have the same symptoms you describe as well plus a few GI type issues.The paleo way of eating has really helped and in my case alleviated a vast majority of symptoms. Most of us who follow the paleo way of eating do so for the very reasons you described.
  • EspieReels
    Options
    I recently became unable to eat any kind of cereal grain product or legumes without becoming painfully sick. I've had to cut out all processed foods completely, flour, any grain or legume. As well, I have to be careful with which fruits or vegetables I eat. At this point, meat, fish, eggs, and small amounts of dairy are safe for me, as well as green leafy vegetables and apples. The upside is that when I eat mostly meat & fat, I don't have cravings and need fewer calories to have energy.

I'm doing reading right now on the paleo-diet; I've found it a little challenging to adapt to going without all the foods I used to consider "staples".
  • got2tryagain
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? Just a thought.
  • aristarry
    aristarry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for diabetes? Just a thought.
    No, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue, as I can have sugary things with no problem. It's the carby stuff like bread and certain grains that's been making me feel nauseated and gross. Though the last couple of days I've been staying away from specifically wheat-related foods, and I seem to be feeling a little better, so maybe it is a gluten thing. I guess I'll find out more when I get my blood work back, but it's a bummer either way.
  • aristarry
    aristarry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's not unheard of to develop a sensitivity to any type of food at any age. Rice might cause the same reaction based upon what it was cooked in. I have the same symptoms you describe as well plus a few GI type issues.The paleo way of eating has really helped and in my case alleviated a vast majority of symptoms. Most of us who follow the paleo way of eating do so for the very reasons you described.
    Good to know. I was interested in paleo a while back, and my body tends to respond well to full diet changes in general, so it likely won't be a problem to go mostly paleo now with my carbs coming from veg/fruit and gluten-free things. At least I live in a city that makes GI shopping pretty painless.