I need food ideas for my wife's lunch.

Options
I do all the cooking in our household, including packing a lunch for my wife. She just started a new job where she is constantly on her feet with no real chance to sit down and eat. I started out making her a rollup with a tortilla stuffed with various things like turkey, olives and cheese or tuna salad and various other things. Then I would cut the rollup into bite sized rounds so she could eat them on the go. Can you suggest other things she might be able to eat a bite or two at a time? She also takes things like carrot sticks, nuts and fruits to eat along with the main course, but I want to spice up her lunches with some energy boosting finger foods.

Any ideas?

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Slice up some cheese for her...also a great snack is dried cranberries and almonds. You can also try apple slices- I just take and cut it really thin.its good and I like the crunch I get from it!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are a great spouse! How about nuts, easy to eat fruit like grapes or fresh mandarine orange sections, dates, cubes of chicken breast, premade PB sandwiches on small crackers, cream cheese or PB on WW mini bagels. Then there are things like small cans of V8 and individual containers of greek yogurt.

I don't know what her job is, but it seems like everyone deserves at least 15-30 minutes to sit down and eat lunch...
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Slice up some cheese for her...also a great snack is dried cranberries and almonds. You can also try apple slices- I just take and cut it really thin.its good and I like the crunch I get from it!

If you pre-slice apple, you can keep it from browning by placing it in a container with a couple of teaspoons of orange juice and shaking up the container to coat the slices with the juice. You can also use lemon juice but may want to dilute it a bit with water to cut the tartness.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    She like sushi rolls? Because, hell, I'd be your wife if you'd roll sushi for me. :laugh:
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    This link is actually for ideas on lunches to pack your kids, but there are so many good things on there it might help.

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=994282131&k=cBdZY
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This link is actually for ideas on lunches to pack your kids, but there are so many good things on there it might help.

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=994282131&k=cBdZY

This is awesome!!!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Apple slices and peanut butter
    Ants on a log (celery, peanut butter/PB2 for lower cal, raisins)
    Mozzarella sticks and grapes
    carrot sticks with low cal ranch (package of hidden valley ranch mix, 1/4 nonfat milk, 1 cup greek yogurt, ) so yummy the best low cal/low fat ranch I've ever had!
    tuna and whole grain crackers
    Fruit and greek yogurt parfait sweetened with agave or lower cal splenda
    Half a whole wheat bagel with low fat cream cheese
    Celery stick filled with Tzatziki Yogurt & Cucumber dip
    air popped popcorn with olive oil spray and salt
    fruit salad (strawberries, melons, bananas, apples, grapes, etc.)
    raw almonds, cottage cheese, strawberries and/or grapes

Some of these aren't finger foods, but they are healthy! I hope this helps!
  • onefournine
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. We have no trouble finding fruit and nuts/nut butters for her to take. She is all stocked up on those. I am looking more for main dish ideas. Sandwiches and rollups only go so far. Soup is probably not a good idea either, ha ha. I just read a recipe for chicken coated with greek yogurt and parmesan cheese, then baked in the oven. I could maybe cut those into bite size pieces and include some pita chips or whole grain crackers. Keep them coming.
  • rox2112
    rox2112 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! Tons of great ideas to take to work!
  • onefournine
    Options
    My wife is a nurse. She just started her masters/doctorate program, so she had to quit the hospital where she was working, and move to an urgent care clinic where the schedule is much more flexible but the work is "pedal to the metal" so to speak. Once she becomes a doctor, I have been promised that I can pursue my dream of opening a pottery studio. So doing the cooking, laundry, cleaning and dog walking is not at all selfless on my part. I look at pottery supply catalogs while I wait for the dryer to stop tumbling. :)
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Humus and carrots
    Deli sliced turkey sandwhiches
    Avocado wraps
    peanut butter apple slices
    granaloa bars
    greek yogurt
    mozzarella sticks
    any fruit
    sushi
    apple sauce
    parfait
  • veracalore
    Options
    Hey Amigo,
    I'm an executive chef. The answer here is a bento box. Amazon has some great ones. They're little multi-compartment japanese lunch boxes that you can throw in the microwave at work. They are really snazzy especially if you get some cool chop sticks to go with it. Mine was about 18 dollars. Bento preparations are really easy, can be done the night before in most cases, and are the perfect portion for a lifestyle change. There are a number of great books to get you started (Kindle editions are like 3 bucks). Here's one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Simple-Japanese-Recipes-ebook/dp/B008WVLR10/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1345877736&sr=1-1&keywords=bento+kindle

Examples of middle of the plate stuff are smoked salmon, beef teryaki, tofu, steamed shrimp, lean pork, really cool little omelette things (Okonomiyaki), etc. The emphasis is on sexy presentation and they give you easy ways to make it happen. I've recommended bento to many customers with no culinary talent and they have all loved it. Its a great way to make something really special on the cheap.