Eating back calories

Options
I am sure this will have been posted before. I am quite new here and enjoy reading the different articles and responses. Lately I am a little concerned when it is being stressed that calories or at least some of them should be eaten back. Does this mean that I should be doing this actually on the exercise day.
Thank you

Replies

• CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am sure this will have been posted before. I am quite new here and enjoy reading the different articles and responses. Lately I am a little concerned when it is being stressed that calories or at least some of them should be eaten back. Does this mean that I should be doing this actually on the exercise day.
    Thank you

I tend to 'eat back' exercise calories on the same day... in other words if I exercise I allow myself to eat more that day. Conversely on days I DON'T exercise I eat less. Having said that however I think most people average their calorie intake over a week.... so if you are under for a few days during the week you can treat yourself a little on the weekend.

Most don't 'carry over' calories to the next week however. On Mondays I start the weekly calorie count from zero again. :bigsmile:
  • Tyke2806
    Options
    I tend to eat back te calories but over the course of a week. Has definitely worked for me!!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Cheers, that makes me feel a little better as it is sort of what I have been doing. Its a little scary when you hear the term 'starvation mode'.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    I use it as a daily "Bank Balance" if I deposit calories in by exercising that allows me to withdraw calories out if I need them. I don't carry calories over to the next day but start with a clean sheet every day. I find this keeps me on track.

You have to eat some calories back otherwise you go down to silly un-healthy numbers.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Cheers, that makes me feel a little better as it is sort of what I have been doing. Its a little scary when you hear the term 'starvation mode'.

'Starvation mode' is a much disputed concept around here.

As I understand it if you under eat - a lot - your body's metabolism begins to slow (that's bad) and you start to store fat (really bad). Most people try to eat close to their recommended calorie intake so that the body keeps happily metabolizing because it knows it's going to get fed.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have not really done exercising for such a long time so am building up slowly and really didnt want to do anything stuipid.

There is lots of really good advice on here tho and I do enjoy keeping up with things.

Thanks