talking myself out of exercise

Options
Im so used to working out 6 days a week and my body craves that feeling of working hard, whether it be lifting or cardio. I feel good afterward and I like to see the calorie burn in my diary. On my one rest day, I ALWAYS fight myself to actually rest. I'll have to talk myself out of exercise because I catch myself thinking "Well, maybe just s short cardio today." And sometimes I give in. I keep telling myself that resting is just as important as the exercise. Some people think Im obsessed and addicted to working out. I just feel like Im dedicated and committed to my health.
Anyone else have a hard time with actually resting?

Replies

• Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I to have this "problem" I walk 10 miles a day and do some Jillian Michaels DVD's. I just cant take a day off. No matter what I am told, its like it calls to me. Sat/Sun would be great days to pick one to take off, but they are my best days! HAHA, Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!!! I am just going to keep doing what I do, at some point- I will rest ;)
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with doing less intense and small amounts of exercise on your rest day. I definitely think that it should not be as intense or long in duration as your normal workouts.
  • davisrl0
    davisrl0 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well, to me, its pointless to get all dressed in work out gear and only do "a little" that will only get me like a 100 calorie burn. (That's just *my* feeling...not at all knocking people who DO exercise a small amount on rest days.) I do know rest is very important to let your body recover. I do like being lazy...old habits die hard!!! But on rest days, I find myself sitting around THINKING about exetcise all day! lol
    But on this particular morning, my upper body is sore from previous lifting this week so there would be nothing smart about working my upper half today. And Im going to attempt a long run tomorrow, so I want to save my legs and not strain them today. Yet I still sit here and think about what I COULD be doing, other than playing on the internet and sipping coffee.
  • davisrl0
    Options
    I to have this "problem" I walk 10 miles a day and do some Jillian Michaels DVD's. I just cant take a day off. No matter what I am told, its like it calls to me. Sat/Sun would be great days to pick one to take off, but they are my best days! HAHA, Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated!!! I am just going to keep doing what I do, at some point- I will rest ;)

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"...I LOVE this saying. Ive seen it quite a few places and I just want to shout AMEN!! when I see it! lol

I choose SUnday to rest because I spend so much time preparing myself and the kids for the up coming week of school/work (lunches prepped, bags packed, laundry folded and put away, etc., it all takes so much time). Sunday is designated for that and not much time to exercise. Swapping it up this week though. Resting today, running tomorrow. Somehow it will just have to be worked in the schedule!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it at times. It was really hard for me when in Jan. 2011 I reversed the diabetes type II I had. For the first 5 months or so I didn't wanna take a day off. It was mostly fear. Doctor said I could become diabetic again and have to be on meds if I went back to my old habits. I didn't want that so out of that fear I didn't take days off.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm saving up all my rest days to use when I'm dead
  • davisrl0
    Options

LOL! This made me chuckle. Im going to go ahead and assume you dont take any rest days... ;)
  • MyTime1207
    MyTime1207 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have to work out every day but I give myself distractions so I won’t give in. I’ll go to a movie or hanging out with friends helps. Also, knowing that it is good to rest your body always works for me.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What's a rest day? Lol!

Seriously, I understand the concept of taking rest days when lifting but I've never thought of taking rest days from cardio too. Is it really necessary?
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Im so used to working out 6 days a week and my body craves that feeling of working hard, whether it be lifting or cardio. I feel good afterward and I like to see the calorie burn in my diary. On my one rest day, I ALWAYS fight myself to actually rest. I'll have to talk myself out of exercise because I catch myself thinking "Well, maybe just s short cardio today." And sometimes I give in. I keep telling myself that resting is just as important as the exercise. Some people think Im obsessed and addicted to working out. I just feel like Im dedicated and committed to my health.
    Anyone else have a hard time with actually resting?

I'm exactly the same way.

In my view, if you are performing high intensity, low volume exercise, there is no reason why you can't recover in 24 hours and work out again. This is especially true for those of us who sit behind a desk most of the day.

For instance, I strength train every day (or nearly every day) and it's because I only do 8 different exercises, for a total of 11 - 17 sets, mostly for 7 repetitions. By way of example, I'll do one set of deadlifts, squats, shoulder press, bench press, and tire flips, and two or three sets each of pull-ups, dips, and decline push-ups.

I don't need a 48 hour recovery for that routine.

I feel more athletic working out every day in the way described above.

You better believe that there are plenty of laborers -- construction, farmers etc. who work out much harder than I do each day.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use to find it hard to rest, but your body needs rest in order to repair, rebuild and to get stronger... since doing more weight training I have upped my calorie intake and dedicate at least 1 day to rest. I have a dog, so even on my rest days I take him out twice a day. So I still get minimal exercise,
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options

*THIS* sounds familiar!

I have a really hard time even thinking about a day without some sort of exercise now -- a far cry from the couch potato I once was. I'm considering tomorrow to be a "rest day," but that is only because I'm skipping my kettlebell workout and only doing an hour on the elliptical.

I'm even starting to panic about when I go to Florida in October... how am I going to survive a week without my kettlebell??? :sad:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If I feel like I need a rest day, I'll take one but otherwise, I plan to do something 7 days/week. Do something different? Like yoga? I wanted a lighter day the other day so I did water aerobics. I love being in the water and I can always go in the spa once I'm there so it was a good choice.