for those who are at their goal weight

Options
I am reading the weigh down work shop what they reccomend is to take notes on how the person who is at their goal weights eats the kinds of things they eat as well as portions. implement it. I am 5"4 inches tall and 189 pounds. my goal weight is 130-134 pounds. if there are any ladies who are at that weight I would like to note what foods you eat, portions and your calories so I can do this on myself. would appreciate female friends who have reached their goal weight to help me and give me that push so I can reach mine too. I opened my diary so would love advice suggestions etc as well. including advice on work outs.

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I still have 7 kg (15.5 lbs) and am 5"4 to go to my goal weight, but am too looking forward to see what you girls eat as well, anyone care to share?
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've got less than two pounds to go until I reach my goal of 140. However, I'm considering lowering my goal to 130. You are welcome to peruse my diary - it's open. You are also welcome to friend me.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am one pound from goal, 5'3', and a little over 130 pounds. However, I do things a bit differently than others, as I eat a larger deficit during the week and spike my calories on Saturdays to be able to eat what I want or crave. It has worked great for me because I am busier during the week and don't care so much about my choices. I would highly advise weightlifting in your plans rather than just focusing on eating, because you may be hit your goal weight, but not look the way you want without the strength training aspect.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same things I ate all along. I don't think there is a magic subset of foods that help you to lose or maintain. I still do not trust myself on portion sizes or on knowing when I am truly hungry or full. I don't think anything inside you really changes when you reach goal weight. If you overate before, you are likely to do it again. I am working on listning to the signals of true hunger but in the mean time (for however long it takes) I will still track calories, just like I did while I was losing. The only difference for me is I get more calories. Kind of depressing, I know, but that's my experience anyway.

As far as how many calories you need, that is different for everyone depending on age/height/weight/activity and goals.

ETA: if I could offer one piece of advice from my experience, losing the weight slowly and not depriving yourself (too much) is the way to go. A moderate deficit of 250-500 cals per day as you approach your goal is sustainable and allows a seamless transition into maintenance. Not sure if that is the kind of thing you are looking for but hope it helps!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 134 pounds, 40 years old. Maintaining about the same weight for over a year.

I'm eating just a little tiny bit below maintenance, maybe 150 calories below, because I don't log my food on weekends and that gives me enough buffer that I can enjoy myself if I'm invited to a bbq or birthday party or want to have a glass or three of wine.

So I'm set at 1600 calories, and eat most of my exercise calories, so I'm typically around 1800-2200 cal, depending on exercise. I eat about half my calories for breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack, and the rest for dinner and an evening snack.

Typical day? I love bagels for breakfast with a diet soda... I don't drink coffee but love caffeine. Morning snack is often fruit, sometimes a protein shake. Lunch depends... ideally, I'd cook something like chicken or fish with vegetables. But if I don't feel like making a mess, I'll have a microwave dinner (lean cuisine, smart ones) or a sandwich or wrap. If it's a microwave dinner, I typically add a sprinkle of shredded cheese to up the calories, fat and protein. Afternoon snack, when I have one, is more fruit, sometimes some beef jerky, sometimes veggies with a dip, sometimes pretzels, sometimes some kind of goodies like mini-cupcakes. Dinner is a big meal. A typical dinner might be 6-8 oz of chicken breast cooked with some kind of marinade or sauce, a large serving of frozen vegetables, maybe a small baked potato with a tbsp of ranch dressing, and some rice or pasta. Evening snack is most often a glass of chocolate milk.

Overall, I aim for 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein. Minimum of 100g of protein. I lift weights 2-3 times a week, and run 3 times a week.
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I am 5'2" and 130lb, and am at my goal weight. Since the beginning I cut down on a lot of cookies, candies, cakes, etc. My main goal has always been to control portion sizes, and not completely cut out foods, because, inevitably, the foods you want to cut out are your favorites (cookies!). I don't eat at a lot of fast-food places anymore, basically the occasional Subway or Chick-Fil-A. And while I look at my daily calories, I use that more as a guide. I focus more on my weekly calories. If I go over one day, I don't beat myself up too much. I just resolve to do better the next day, and maybe put in a little extra exercise. Good luck on losing those last few pounds, I know they are always the hardest.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am at the goal weight I'm accepting for right now (at 5'2", I'm keeping my weight at 135-136). May try to go a bit lower, but during a recent First Place 4 Health session at our church, I lost 7 inches and 5 pounds and am gonna practice maintenance for a while.

First Place is a biblically-based weight-loss program helping members acheive a balanced life physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. We've learned weight loss isn't just a matter of what we feed our body, but also what we feed our minds as well. You can learn more at http://www.firstplace4health.com. This could also help you in your ministry:)

My calorie goal (although we don't count calories) is 1400-1500 coupled with 150-200 mins of cardio plus strength training exercises a week. Please check out my diary for the past several days (Thursday was an unusual one, tho) - it shows the balance of lean protein, low-fat dairy, fruits, veggies, healthy oils and whole grains that follow the First Place plan and provides the variety of nutrients to keep us healthy - it's absolutely delish!

Feel free to friend me. I will look at your diary and make comments later.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I eat portion sizes that are pretty much standard, but have added things like sliced avocados, apples and bananas to my meals ( not all at the same meal). I still track all my calories.. will continue as long as I live probably.

I am a fan of the 50-100 calorie addition - I rotate a dark chocolate square, almonds and dried gogi berries.. it helps round out the calories when I don't eat enough.

I try to eat low fat protein, greek yogurt and non starchy vegetables as my mainstay. My big vice is coffee with fat free half and half.

Because the low fat protein takes away hunger pangs, and with the Houston Sweltering Summer rendering me slightly nauseated, I find it really hard to get all my calories in. So I am just shooting not go below the bottom of my healthy range till the weather cools.
  • carla_54321
    carla_54321 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at my goal weight for over two months. I am still figuring out how to eat in order to maintain and not lose. Weird problem I know but my losses are continuing despite generally eating all my calories. I don't trust myself to eat on hunger as that's what led to my weight gain in the first place. As I switched to maintenance I found I added more treats. My diary is open.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here! It seems those who are at or close to their goal have lots in common, basically, to eat a good variety of healthy foods, eat enough, to enjoy an occasional treat, and balance the wiser food choices with exercise!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and within 4 pounds of my goal weight of 130. You can feel free to add me if you like or just feel free to view my diary. It's not perfect, but I have basically been maintaing for a few months.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", started at 220 pounds and am in my goal weight range (125-130) now. My diary is open so you're welcome to look through for ideas.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 140lbs. I've lost 100lbs and have maintained this for 6 months.

I'm a vegetarian and try to eat wholefoods/clean diet as much as possible. I do allow myself to have occasional treats. This stops me binge eating. I aim for at least 100g of protein. I don't pay much attention to my other macros. I workout 5 times a week. Mainly strength training and yoga.

Feel free to add me. My diary is open to my friends (although this weekend I'm taking a break from clean eating!)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 126 pounds (my original goal was 130-135) and have been at maintenance for about 3 months so I'm still playing around with my calories. I try to eat around 1800-2100 calories a day. I do cardio 2-3 days a week, a core class 1-2 days a week and try to lift 2-3 days a week. I have not cut anything from my diet and will be the first to admit I don't eat as "healthy" as some people! For me it is about portion control. I now eat 1-2 pieces of pizza instead of 4-5. My diary is open if you want to peek:)
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've been at goal weight for nearly three years. While in losing mode, I ate low fat 'diety' foods. Once I reached my goal weight I was 'skinny fat' - blah! I started lifting weights and eating full fat, natural carb, high protein foods. I increased my calorie intake from 1300 to 2000 since I was building muscle and getting more fit. I needed to fuel my body! More muscle = MORE FOOD! yay!

Doing that caused my body fat to reduce and my clothes smaller - ALL within staying the same weight.

I dont log exercise, though I lift 3x week and run 6 miles. I must maintain at least 1600 calories and limit to 2300 daily to stay where I'm at.

My macro is set at 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. I'm 5'8 and 145lbs

Feel free to add me, my diary is open for view :)
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just eat the same way I've been eating when I was trying to lose weight, but I make my work outs harder. I do however work out only four or five days a week opposed to the six I was doing.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2800 so at goal weight i'd eat anything I want at or near 2800.
    Why worry about food so much?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I've been at my goal weight (130) for a year. My maintenance is supposed to be around 1800, but I routinely eat at 2000 or just over. I lost my weight with around a 100 calorie deficit. Typical day:

Breakfast: 2 eggs & whole wheat toast, coffee with 2% milk and sugar (I have this almost every day), maybe a tomato or 1/2 cup greek yogurt on the side

Lunch: 50 grams salmon & light cream cheese on whole wheat bread with a big spinach salad (maybe 3 cups), with olive oil & balsamic vinegar. Or like a 6 oz steak and that salad, maybe a piece of whole wheat bread. Or a chicken souvlaki on a whole wheat pita with lots of tomatoes.

Dinner: 1 cup pasta, 1/2 cup tomato sauce with 1/2 cup of some kind of meat & 1/2 cup veg (like ham & mushroom, chicken & asparagus, shrimp & spinach). If my gut's up for it, I might have another salad as well.

Evening snack: natural PBJ on 1 piece of bread & 1/2 cup milk, or 3/4 cup oatmeal, or 2/3 cup cereal & milk.

I don't have a big sweet tooth, but might have a square or two of chocolate now and then, or some nuts.

I like lentils, so have them in salads or soups sometimes. If I'm lazy I'll get 'lean' versions of breaded chicken or fish (baked, never fried), or pizza (one walk-in slice). That's maybe a couple of times a week.

'Bad' stuff: I might have a couple of drinks on a Friday or Saturday. Every now and then (not usually more than 3 x a month) I'll get something like McDonald's. I just get the crappy thing I wanted instead of their wraps or whatever.

I'd say I follow guidelines about 70-80% of the time. If I've gone over my calories by really a lot for several days running, I adjust my intake moderately (like maybe 50 cals less) and add a bit more activity over the next days. I don't beat myself up about it.

This sort of eating is sustainable for me. I never feel deprived.