Good Idea... Bad Result

Options
I've been trying to get more fibre into my diet, since i've been a bit 'sluggish' of late. Had the great idea of adding some psyllium husks to my dinner of tomatoey, beany ratatoulle-type stuff. It's just fibrous husks, low calorie, massive fibre boost, what could possibly go wrong??
Result: awful.
it made my entire dinner into a slimy, gelatinous lump. despite this dinner containing many textural elements, it was like they were all trampled into a jelly-like pile of slimy sameness :(

Replies

• Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    haha doesn't sound too good at all from your descriptions! I just try to add as much fruit and veg into my day and get around 20-30g fiber per day :)
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    And it tastes awful too. You'll also get better results by increasing your natural sources of fibre i.e.,fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, etc. .
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    well, it's wierd, but my bathrooming habits have declined since i started my most recent run at this healthy eating thing!
    i'm definitely eating more veggies, more raw foods, and more beans than i used to, so i would have thought healthy eating = healthy habits, but nope.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My dietitian told me that drinking fluids helps with this alot :) If you've just changed your diet give it time
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    but i'm doing that already too! much improved diet and 31ml of water per kg each day for the last month!
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I suffer from IBS could always try Fybogel get in orange flavour and make it into a drink and straight down the hatch!

My diet before doing it the MFP way was fat free the only fat in my diet was from meat which I only eat extra lean and other natrual fats, but now with adding a little bit of olive oil to my diet I've found I no longer need to take Fybogel things happen on their own. I still eat fat free apart from the little olive oil as too much fats trigger an IBS attack so kind of a balancing act :smile:
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I've actually found I eat TOO MUCH fiber in a day. Made pumpkin oatmeal and pea soup for the week. Try eating a golden delicious apple a day.... they're high in fiber.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Lovely.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Can I suggest wheatgerm? I sprinkle a little (2 tsps?) on my oats in the morning, it's tasteless and work rather wonderfully. Just looks and tastes like really finely chopped up wheat or grain. Can also be added to yogurt, the jar says...?
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I really like trying to eat a half a bag of frozen veggies with every meal, or at least a whole bag every day....These are the 1.50, to 2.00 bags of veggies you get at walmart in the frozen section. If I cook eggs, I eat them with half a bag off vegies...chicken, etc... You'll get plenty of fiber. Especially if you go with straight broccoli.

Just a tip, cooking them in frying pan tastes much better than nuking them :)
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sometimes cooking ends in disaster! Hope you had a good laugh and had something else that night.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would've recommended adding beans. I eat about 50g fiber/day. Just lots of veggies, beans, some fruit, some whole grains, etc.
  • rebbiebear
    Options
    Oh dear. That sounds rather nasty. There are lots of good ideas to increase fiber in your diet listed here, but a good ol' standby is Orange flavor Metamucil. They make a sugar-free smooth kind that tastes a bit like the Tang of old. The only caveat is you mix it and chug it within a few moments or else it all settles at the bottom. And you don't want the stuff at the bottom. :noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind, when you're eating more nutritionally dense food and exercising more, you're going to use more food as fuel, and less will be eliminated as waste.

That's something I noticed big time with my dog. A better quality dog food that isn't all corn-filler and empty calories means that he has smaller and less frequent poops.
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Please also note that all fibres are not created equal (though each is beneficial in its own way). Do some research on soluble fibre vs. insoluble fibre and the benefits of each. ;)
  • satxtrap
    satxtrap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I use psyllium almost every day. The trick with it (for me anyway) is to mix it in with either a glass of orange juice (makes it pulpy which I like) or to take a bottled water with a flavor packet and mix it in with there.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    That must have been quite a surprise! OOPS!

Ground flaxseed is also good for adding fiber, along with healthy fats and a bit of a nutty taste. Maybe try that next time?
  • 126siany
    Options
    I've actually found I eat TOO MUCH fiber in a day. Made pumpkin oatmeal and pea soup for the week. Try eating a golden delicious apple a day.... they're high in fiber.

Oh, that soup sounds really good! If you get a spare minute, could you post the recipe in the Recipes section?
  • 126siany
    Options
    well, it's wierd, but my bathrooming habits have declined since i started my most recent run at this healthy eating thing!
    i'm definitely eating more veggies, more raw foods, and more beans than i used to, so i would have thought healthy eating = healthy habits, but nope.

If you consistently come in way under your fat goal, it can also bind you up. Just something to consider.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Have you tried benefibre? It doesn't change textures at all! Could be worth a shot :) Or if you want to stick to the psyllium - they do sell capsules. Either one, be sure you are getting tons and tons of water! Or.....it will/can bung you up :P
    And start small in doses - and bump it up slowly. I found too much too soon, NEGATIVE RESULTS :(