Runners... Looking for an app

Options
justal313
justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
I think maybe it's time to start interval training as my distance gets a little longer but the only increase from speed I see comes directly from the lack of a need to start walking durning my runs.

I'm hoping for an app that will not only tell me to speed up and slow down but specifically to speed up/slow down to a specific speed since I'm looking to do my interval training at the gym and then my running outside on tera firma.

Any suggestions?

I have an iPhone if it makes a difference to your suggestions.

Replies

• Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo for just about everything I do outdoors. I just checked and it does have interval training on it, although I've never used it. It might be worth giving it a shot.
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ALLSPORT GPS is a good app...there is a free and purchase version so you can check it out for a while to see if it meets your needs.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have downloaded an app called BeatBurn Treadmill, created by lolo. You can use it inside on the treadmill or outside, I use it outside as I don't have access to a treadmill and love it. You can use your own music or go with what they play. Tells you how fast to go and when. You can also pick how long you want to work out as well. You have to pay for it but I think it is worth it.

Check it out and let me know what you think. If there is anything else out there I would be interested.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The best I have come up with is Nike + Run. It won't tell you when to speed up, but it will tell you how fast you are going and you can set the frequency of the feedback. I find their Run app to be much more accurate than the others I have tried (like MapMyRun).

The problem you will face is trying to use it on a treadmill since the GPS is the primary measure of your speed based on distance traveled and time. The sensors for the program should still work based on footfalls, but I am not positive on that. You can always just use the basic Nike+ app for that. I prefer the treadmill settings myself.

Interested if anyone has found a better program out there myself.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I used PodRunner intervals. He uses beats per minute in the music to increase/decrease your speed. For something more fun, I'm also playing with "Zombies, Run!" app for iPhone. That one has zombies chase you at various points through your run. :laugh: you either have to outrun the zombie mob, or drop items you have collected to distract them.
  • clgnemesis
    clgnemesis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo too as well as runkeeper. both work well I like the 1/4 mile updates on runkeeper better. Check out this article: http://lifehacker.com/5607322/five-best-mobile-fitness-apps it had a good overview of them all.