Low carb foods and substitutes

Options
Morning people,

Help......

I need to lower my carb intake and am at a loss.

Could anyone help me out in understanding low carbs and high carbs.

I get it that high carbs are:
White bread
White pasta
White potatoes

But what are low carbs?

What do people substitute into their diets instead of the high carbs?

Are there any amazing low carb recipes out there that you feel you MUST share with me?

I am re-shopping my kitchen tomorrow for low carb foods and need some ideas!!!

Thanks all,

Doozer xxxxx

Replies

• Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    try more natural fats, like peanut butter made from peanuts (thats the only ingredient), unsalted butter, olive & other natural oils, cheese, etc. they work well in your bod with fruits and veggies to balance everything out. time to relearn things! :flowerforyou:
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great low-carb pasta substitute. A whole cup of spaghetti squash has only 42 calories and 10g carbs, where a cup of white spaghetti has 200 calories and 41g carbs. I use spaghetti squash in casseroles, stir-fries, etc.. pretty much anywhere I'd put pasta.

As for bread, I haven't found a low-carb substitute yet. When I'm making sandwiches, wraps, or burgers, I use lettuce as a wrap for it, but it definitely doesn't taste like bread or erase cravings for bread if you get them.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Are you lowering your carbs for a medical condition other than diet? Do you have a number you are trying to reach?

I have to have a low carb diet due to a medical condition, but it is a trial and error. Depending on your goal will depend on your diet. Foods high in fiber like whole grains, berries, vegetables, help you to stay satisfied longer and keeps your insulin level even. But unless it is a dire medical need, I would suggest taking it slow as I know for me I actually went through "withdraw" for about 3 days. But you can definitely do it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    White bread and brown bread have practically the same carbs, same for other things that come in brown and white - one has the bran removed.

I wouldn't go looking for substitutes personally, as most of them suck. I went from having meat, veg and fries to meat and more veg. Less carbs, less calories, win.

Try to change your diet away from carb concepts like cake, cookies, cereals, pizza etc rather than trying to find a frankenfood replacement or an obscure vegetable alternative that is nothing like the original.
  • debi_f
    debi_f Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog for some great recipes and ideas: Peace Love and Low Carb. There are suggestions for pasta, rice and bread substitutions that really work. The recipes are easy to follow and absolutely delicious!

Here are a couple of the more common subs:

Spaghetti: spiral cut zucchini or spaghetti squash
    Rice: finely chopped cauliflower (this also works well as a macaroni sub if chopped a bit bigger)
    Bread: lettuce wraps, low carb tortillas

I've been low carbing since Feb and have lost close to 60 pounds. If I can do it, so can you!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    a great substitute for white flour are nut flours - almond flour in particular. coconut flour is also very good.

if you're looking for a low carb bread recipe, check these websites:

www.elanaspantry.com
    www.comfybelly.com
    www.glutenfreefix.com

couple things to point out about low carbing:

1) it is hard to low carb without your calories going up. most likely, you will get sustenance from things like meat, dairy and cheese...which have a lot of fat (good fats though) which in turn have high calories.

2) low carb & gluten-free usually go hand in hand...but only if they are NOT using refined sugar. i follow a lot of gluten-free websites because they bake with nut flours which in turn are SIGNIFICANTLY lower in carbs BUT i always substitute any use of refined white sugar with agave nectar/xylitol/stevia. you're still gonna have some carbs but MUCH MUCH MUCH lower than if you used refined sugar.

i will admit that bread is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to replicate with nut flours but cupcakes, muffins, cakes are totally doable and pretty damn tasty.

good luck with your low carb search! hope that helps!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'm with the 'don't try to find substitutes' camp.

More veggies (leafy especially), more meat, more healthy fat is the way to go for me.

It's a bit of a mindset change to imagine life without bread, pasta, rice, etc but once you get into the swing of it you don't miss them really. Well, I don't :)

I don't have a problem with avoiding grains, whole or otherwise, and legumes for general health reasons (not just as a source of carbohydrate) so taking them out of the equation isn't a problem and there is no deprivation involved.

White bread vs Wholegrain bread is like high tar cigs vs low tar cigs for me.

It's way better not to smoke in the first place ;)
  • Onema2012
    Options
    If you're doing low carb/carb cycling for weight loss purposes then, just to be clear, it doesn't actually provide much real benefit. People who are coming up to bodybuilding or physique contests will use carb cycling/low carb diets as a way of reducing subQ water and reducing glycogen stores. It is also beneficial when trying to reduce BF% when already below 10%BF. But since carbs are your bodies favourite source of energy then you're just restricting your energy levels.

Keto diets are also a great way to lose muscle whilst cutting.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    www.holdthecarbs.com if you like to bake :)
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've taken a moderate approach to low carbs, and substituted beans, lentils and chickpeas in place of rice or noodles. This approach requires foresight while at the grocery store. If you buy in bulk (say, at a wholefoods shop) it's no more expensive than rice.

Bread substitutes were too difficult to think about, so I eat it occasionally when the house is short on other foodstuff.

Eggs are really useful, since they hold veges together in omlettes or frittata, and a boiled egg is a convenient portable snack.

Finally, I really LOVE eating mung bean sprouts, which are as satisfying and versatile in Asian cooking as udon noodles, and require less cooking time.

Good luck with it!
  • Kalynx
    Options
    White bread and brown bread have practically the same carbs, same for other things that come in brown and white - one has the bran removed.

I wouldn't go looking for substitutes personally, as most of them suck. I went from having meat, veg and fries to meat and more veg. Less carbs, less calories, win.

Try to change your diet away from carb concepts like cake, cookies, cereals, pizza etc rather than trying to find a frankenfood replacement or an obscure vegetable alternative that is nothing like the original.

LOL "frankenfood" love it.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    If you're doing low carb/carb cycling for weight loss purposes then, just to be clear, it doesn't actually provide much real benefit. People who are coming up to bodybuilding or physique contests will use carb cycling/low carb diets as a way of reducing subQ water and reducing glycogen stores. It is also beneficial when trying to reduce BF% when already below 10%BF. But since carbs are your bodies favourite source of energy then you're just restricting your energy levels.

Keto diets are also a great way to lose muscle whilst cutting.

Rubbish. Once your glycogen stores are depleted your body then switches to burning fat stores. When you change to low carb eating you immediately start depleting your glycogen stores so you initially lose a lot of weight. You also get what's known as carb flu as your body adjusts. Once you're in ketosis, your body will become super efficient at burning fat as there's very little else to burn. If you keep your carbs low (typically under 50g per day for ketosis) then this state will remain. If you want to come off your low carb way of eating (why?) then reintroduce carbs gradually and yes you will initially put on weight due to glycogen stores being replenished. BUT you will not put on the weight you lost from burning the fat. That is, unless you return to the way of eating that made you fat.
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Guys thank you so much!

I am doing this more for medical reasons as I have PCOS but here in the UK the whole "low carb" movement has not really taken off the ground. It has recently come to my attention I should be lowering my carbs because of my PCOS and I know very very little. What I have taken from your really lovely, supportive and helpful comments are:

- Peanut butter (nuts being the only ingredient.....may plod to Holland and Barrett)
    - Olive oil (I currently use things such as fry light)
    - Unsalted butter (again currently using a low fat alternative)
    - Spaghetti squash (I have heard of this! I am going to order one with my shopping this week and try it!)
    - Lettuce instead of tortillas (yep - good idea. Again I am going to give it a go)
    - Whole grains (LOVE whole grains.....would anyone recommend any in particular for any health benefit reason?)
    - Berries (I adore blueberries and strawberries)
    - Finely chopped cauliflower (Macaroni substitute - my husband is a big rugby player who loves his pasta and sauce. This way I can join him but use cauliflower! ACE!)
    - Leafy veggies (I hear you....going to order some spinach etc)
    - Beans, lentils, chickpeas (Made my first dahl last night and it was lovely! Totally up for these)
    - Mung bean sprouts (this will be a health food shop buy but anything is worth a go once!)
    - Eggs (YES! I never order them and I really do think I need to - especially for protein contents!).

Guys - thank you so so much for these....keep them coming!

xxxxxxxxx
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Almond butter is another option.

Whole grains are not low carb - quite the opposite.

Salted butter is fine, low carb dieters need salt as carbs retain sodium.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Guys thank you so much!

I am doing this more for medical reasons as I have PCOS but here in the UK the whole "low carb" movement has not really taken off the ground. It has recently come to my attention I should be lowering my carbs because of my PCOS and I know very very little. What I have taken from your really lovely, supportive and helpful comments are:

- Peanut butter (nuts being the only ingredient.....may plod to Holland and Barrett)
    - Olive oil (I currently use things such as fry light)
    - Unsalted butter (again currently using a low fat alternative)
    - Spaghetti squash (I have heard of this! I am going to order one with my shopping this week and try it!)
    - Lettuce instead of tortillas (yep - good idea. Again I am going to give it a go)
    - Whole grains (LOVE whole grains.....would anyone recommend any in particular for any health benefit reason?)
    - Berries (I adore blueberries and strawberries)
    - Finely chopped cauliflower (Macaroni substitute - my husband is a big rugby player who loves his pasta and sauce. This way I can join him but use cauliflower! ACE!)
    - Leafy veggies (I hear you....going to order some spinach etc)
    - Beans, lentils, chickpeas (Made my first dahl last night and it was lovely! Totally up for these)
    - Mung bean sprouts (this will be a health food shop buy but anything is worth a go once!)
    - Eggs (YES! I never order them and I really do think I need to - especially for protein contents!).

Guys - thank you so so much for these....keep them coming!

xxxxxxxxx

Quick tip as you're in the UK... don't get your peanut butter from H&B... Waitrose has an essential wholenut peanut butter that has NO added sugar just whole nut. It's fab and the whole jar costs £1.40. And as someone else said, none of the grains are low carb :( Mind you, if you don't need to go ultra low carb (50g or less a day) then you can incorporate some whole grains now and again. Loads of info on the net about carb values of foods..... research, research, research. :bigsmile:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is not easy because you have to eat something besides meat, fish, nuts, low fat dairy and beans (high protein). I suggest switching to whole grains, lots of veggies, but in particular, asparagus, artichokes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, broccoli and and the like. Fruit is great, but veggies are better in terms of calories. Then add in the beans and you should be in good shape. MFP carbs are TOO high. Try to keep your carbs and protein even.

Friend me to look at my diary.
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Guys,

Thank you for the continued input - keep it coming.

I am not planning to go below 100 carbs at present as I want to see how I go - so I can have some whole grains (NOT large amounts).

I will be going to Waitrose - thank you!!!!!

John - I have sent you a friends request!

....and yes I am off to research research research!!!!!

:-) xx
  • Kalynx
    Options
    Doozer good luck, keep in mind that low fat alternatives will contain preservatives and things that are not good for any human. they do not act the same inside your veins/vessels, liver, heart, heck everywhere as natural fats. natural fats carry the nutrients and stuff that your body needs to heal, grow, reshape, etc. :) artificial fats will harm your insides...(so I have read, in many sources).