Cardio and Weights....Have a big weigh loss goal..Help!

Hey everyone! I have a question regarding cardio and lifting weights. I saw the thread about lifting weights and how it is much better. I do agree that lifting weights is great, but I am a little more focused on the scale. My weight now is 185lbs and I want to be 160 by X-Mas and 145 by Valentine's day.

I just got a treadmill and love my cardio, but what I've been reading I am definitely going to pick up weights. I know this may not make the scale move like I want it to, but my question is if I mix cardio with weights will that help the scale and the inches?

I have dumbells and I am thinking of getting a kettlebell. Anyone have any good moves with freeweights? Any success stories with weights and cardio? Thanks for your advice!

Feel free to PM me if that is easier. I am really getting serious about my weight loss and am ready to hit it hard and be committed 100%.

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Cardio will give you the number you want, weights will give you the body you want.

What would you rather the number or the body?

Do both for health. There are people who will say 'cardio isn't nedded' which is true for weight Los. But it's essential for health. What's the point at being at 145 if you can't walk 12km?
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    weights are not better than cardio
    cardio is not better than weights

A good BALANCE of the two and a healthy diet is the best option. You will get fit and have a good body.

Its not rocket science its quiet simple too many people over analyse at the end of the day most of us wont be competing in the Olympics so how much do we need to micro manage.

I found eating clean made a huge difference when I started.

THERE SHOULD BE NO WEIGHTS VS CARDIO ARGUMENT - do both for best results.
  • spokie1
    spokie1 Posts: 23 Member
    Bump
  • 3ohoqg.jpg
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    weights are not better than cardio
    cardio is not better than weights

A good BALANCE of the two and a healthy diet is the best option. You will get fit and have a good body.

Its not rocket science its quiet simple too many people over analyse at the end of the day most of us wont be competing in the Olympics so how much do we need to micro manage.

I found eating clean made a huge difference when I started.

THERE SHOULD BE NO WEIGHTS VS CARDIO ARGUMENT - do both for best results.

What super monty said ^ :drinker: the only thing I would add is if your serious about weights you need to lift heavy

stronglifts 5x5
    new rules of lifting for women
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    For weight loss, the most important thing is your overall diet. Diet, diet, diet. All of the cardio in the world will not help you if you eat back those calories, and then some. You need to rethink your relationship with food. And develop a new way of eating that is sustainable long term.

But yes, exercising helps, too. Regarding weights v. cardio, the key is to craft a program that works for you. One that you'll continue to do, every day, for weeks, months, years... So you need to enjoy what you're doing. Otherwise, you'll eventually stop, and be right back where you were, only more frustrated and depressed.

You will find many success stories here that involve weight lifting. You will find many others that took up running, probably starting with the C25k program. And of course there will be those that do both. Again, whatever works for you. But just do something. Everyone is different, there isn't ONE path to success.

But again, keeping in mind that diet is still the key. Diet, diet, diet.... :-)

Good luck.

--P
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Mixing them will help a lot. My BFF does both cardio and weights + healthy diet, and she lost a lot of weight quickly. It slowed closer to her goal but she keeps dropping clothing sizes...so maybe as you get closer to your goal stop looking at the scale and more at the clothes?

Also if your not a gym person check out Jillian Michaels videos that use some weights (like 30 Day Shred, or Ripped in 30). Its something you can do at home with hand weights.

Good luck!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    What super monty said ^ :drinker: the only thing I would add is if your serious about weights you need to lift heavy

stronglifts 5x5
    new rules of lifting for women

Oh, and this! Lifting is a great option, but please do it right. And that means lifting heavy. Doing high reps of low weight is going to be pretty much useless. Also, consider using a trainer in the beginning, to ensure you have proper technique.

--P
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Do both and find what it is that you like and enjoy to do. The most important thing IMO is that you do some form of exercise or fitness activity more days that not. There's many choices to accomplish your goals. :smile:
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Hey everyone! I have a question regarding cardio and lifting weights. I saw the thread about lifting weights and how it is much better. I do agree that lifting weights is great, but I am a little more focused on the scale. My weight now is 185lbs and I want to be 160 by X-Mas and 145 by Valentine's day.

I just got a treadmill and love my cardio, but what I've been reading I am definitely going to pick up weights. I know this may not make the scale move like I want it to, but my question is if I mix cardio with weights will that help the scale and the inches?

I have dumbells and I am thinking of getting a kettlebell. Anyone have any good moves with freeweights? Any success stories with weights and cardio? Thanks for your advice!

Feel free to PM me if that is easier. I am really getting serious about my weight loss and am ready to hit it hard and be committed 100%.

It is ESSENTIAL for you to do both. First, building muscle will help burn fat. Also, just so you know, unless you are eating a lot, you will not bulk..so don't worry about that.

Here is what I would advise (without knowing schedule, diet, goals, etc.). Do resistant training 4 times per week. Right after each workout, do 30 minutes of HIIT cardio! You will burn more fat that way, plus you won't have to spend 45 minutes or more doing steady state cardio.

I understand the above information is vague, if you need or want further guidance, let me know.
  • tracylee679
    tracylee679 Posts: 189 Member

It is ESSENTIAL for you to do both. First, building muscle will help burn fat. Also, just so you know, unless you are eating a lot, you will not bulk..so don't worry about that.

Here is what I would advise (without knowing schedule, diet, goals, etc.). Do resistant training 4 times per week. Right after each workout, do 30 minutes of HIIT cardio! You will burn more fat that way, plus you won't have to spend 45 minutes or more doing steady state cardio.

I understand the above information is vague, if you need or want further guidance, let me know.

So does this essentially mean that you only have to workout 4 days a week? Just trying to clarify...I am a busy mom of 4 and work full time so working out only 4 days a week would be awesome for me? Also how do you split the strength workouts for the 4 days? Sorry I have so many questions...

Tracy
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    It's thread like this that remind me there are REALLY good people here. After dodging the 'will this glass of water make me fat' threads, solid advice this keeps me sane!
  • Stuptuous.com has tons on info on this topic. I found this post particularly informative.

http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    3ohoqg.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Because building muscles burns way more calories then fat, even while you're resting.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Do both. Lift weights, don't lose weight and no one will see the muscle. Do cardio, don't lift weights-thin but soft.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Since you have a lot to lose, like I did, and are interested in cardio and weights, like I was, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND P90X. Also good as you are a beginner and Tony Horton is an excellent trainer. I'm in the last week of my first round and lost TONS of inches, which is what you should be most focused on, and made serious gains in body sculpting and muscle definition. I also lost 23 lbs during this time, but that's mostly down to diet.