How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• dldnvr
    dldnvr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As I'm sure many of you find, I find it almost impossible not to peek. So I changed the way I weigh in to go with the flow. I get on the scale most mornings when I get out of the shower. I have a wi-fi scale that records the weight. There is a free site, trendweight, that records the 'Data' (can sync to fitbit site if you have). *I do not work for and am not promoting this site, heh.

TrendWeight uses that weight data to form a staticial graph of weight over time. For me this works really well, I explain the bigger reason below. Rather than look at the actual weight for a day, I look at trendweight. I tend to platau often, usually for 5-10 days then lose a bit. Since the graphs and anaylsis use weight over a longer peroid of time (two week min) they are not really changed by the normal day to day weight changes, So I'm not bothered by them.

If I actually look at the 'Data' I can see that just in the last two weeks there was a period that if I had weighed in once a week I would have seen a .5 lb weight increase (would be bummer if only thing i was going on).

Also I was able to see a while back that my trend had gone from the nice 1.7-1.8lb per week loss trend was edging up 2.2,2.3,2.4 so I knew I was not eating enough of my replacement calaries.

*Reason I really like: This is great for Maintenace once you reach your goal (This is What we all hope for, right!). You don't have to weigh in everyday, but you should get on the scale some. You can see your weight trend over time and know if your starting to move out of your goal range without having to worry about what the scale says one day. If you start to move above your goal range, time to refocus a bit before things start to get out of hand.

Any thoughts or anyone else using?

https://trendweight.com/help
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every morning when I got up after using the bathroom. Was always told that was your true weight. But I got to a point where it would fluctuate, and I'd get discouraged. One day I was one weight, the next day I was down 3 pounds, and 2 days later I was up 2 pounds. It got so frustrating that I decided to stop focusing so much on the numbers, and go based on how I feel and how my clothes fit. It's still tempting in the morning to stand on the scale, but I figured I'll do it once a week or so. That way when you do see it drop, it's a better feeling of 'hey, this is actually working.'
  • MyTime1207
    MyTime1207 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Every Monday morning.
  • schillewis
    schillewis Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Every Friday Morning. Then I log it here and let it go. I know I'm doing well by how my clothes fit. When I pull on shorts that are loose right out of the dryer or realize my bra isn't cutting into me, I know *this* is working.

Good luck!!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    every time i am in my bathroom. but i only record it once a week.

Thank goodness I am not the only one.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually on Saturday morning...every once in a while I'll get on a kick where I weigh myself every couple days but that usually leads to irritation since it varies so much and I don't do it for long.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it every morning and night because I feel so curious and excited since I've finally started to lose a couple of pounds. I also do it every time I'm at the gym since their scale is more accurate. Maybe I'll hop on the once a week bandwagon, I don't want to become obsessed!
  • The_new_mee
    The_new_mee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every friday morning, sometimes I can't help it and weigh myself mid week well.
  • Mountainbiker2015
    Mountainbiker2015 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Twice a week but I peek in between sometimes which is not a good thing. I record it twice a week too. I have learned it is best to weight myself first thing when I get up in the morning for accuracy.
  • GlowingG
    GlowingG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - the official weigh in is weekly at the Alizonne clinic. Here's a good article about weighing: http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/08/24/regular-weighing-may-help-weight-loss-and-its-maintenance-but-theres-a-few-things-that-need-bearing-in-mind/

If you weigh daily, then you do need to be phlegmatic!

Ali
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was weighing daily but only recording it once a week, on Thursdays, but I found that if I was happy with the number on the scale on any particular day, I would end up eating more since I wasn't worried about maintaining my deficit. So now I'm just strictly once a week.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Once a week, same time of day.. that's the most accurate
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week... but... now I only weight once a month, maybe. I really don't know what I weigh right now. I'm okay with that. I think I'm mentally better off if I pay attention to other things- like my strength gains from lifting, my cardio health, my ability to hike and toss children around, and the way my clothes fit.

The scale is just a number. It tells me very little about who I am or how I'm doing health-wise.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week first thing in the morning. :smile:
  • chipmunkcheeks76
    Options
    Every morning, and sometimes in the evening - but I take the mornings reading as accurate. I panic if I don't know my weight.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    btw I know nobody mentioned it but I am OCD about the scale..and had scales reading different numbers etc. A girl on on thread said she took her weights and found where the scale said what they weighed so she gets an accurate reading. OMG what a huge difference this has made. I wanted her to get an award. I finally found "the spot" for my scale. PS ..I cheated and looked today and had lost another pound. I usually weigh on Monday am but I "felt" lighter today and wanted to find out. ;)
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm making the move to once a month. That way I focus more on fixing my behaviors and less on obsessing about a number. I really like to obsess about that stupid number, when it isn't what I want to focus on for the time being.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for once a week, to try and keep an eye on it :) For me it is Sundays when I get up (after the morning routine of course!)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    everyday, once in the morning after i wake up, after i visit the facilities and w/ no clothes, and record the number, haha
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I weigh myslef most days as soon as I wake