I chickened out :-(

Options
I went to the gym today determined to do the workout that is outlined in New Lifting Rules for Women...I had my logs ready to go, I had reviewed the workouts....and I got to the gym and felt like I didn't know what I was doing! So I made an appointment with one of the trainers to go over the workouts with me so I would be a little more confident. The only good news is that I didn't completely chicken out on still getting a good workout in....I was there quite some time and burned over 900 calories! So far that's the most I've ever burned. I also added in the strength training exercises I had worked on with the trainer previously. So today wasn't a complete waste, it just wasn't the workout I planned.

Anyone else have this last minute fear/embarrassment/change of mind? Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nah, maybe just start small? Go in there and do something simple in addition to your normal workout. Do some curls or something. Next time you go try some shoulder presses. Next time you go...etc.. Eventually progress to the harder stuff like DLs, squats and more.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you weren't confident of what to do with the equipment you did the right thing booking in for help/
    You probably saved yourself from a bad injury.

you'll be fine
  • DREXENDELSANGRE
    DREXENDELSANGRE Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Excellent, glad you still took advantage of the opportunity while you were there.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do this on after labor day. I've read the book and I'm terrified. But, I'm just going to go in there, pick up a weight/hop on a machine and do it!!!! I'm sure the music blaring in my ears will help.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    You got this!! The looks of awe you get from the testosterone crowd when you start rockin deadlifts and squats will help boost your confidence!
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    At least you asked for help! II agree with a previous poster who said you probably saved yourself an injury.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You got this!! The looks of awe you get from the testosterone crowd when you start rockin deadlifts and squats will help boost your confidence!

Yeah my husband couldn't believe some of the things that were in the plan...but he is excited for me too, which helps. I think I will bring him one day so he can see me in action :-)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Some of the things in the book are a little odd, but i'm proof that it does build muscle! ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did the same thing my first day in the free weight section. I went and did squats in the squat rack and I felt like I was all over the place and had no balance at all... and I was just using the bar by itself. Then I went to do bench presses and the 45lb bar was too much for me at the time and I only did like 2 reps and was like "OMGGGGGGGGGGGG WTFFFF" (I didn't know they had a 35lb bar, too) So I just gave up and went and did something else at the gym instead. The next time I went to the gym I actually stayed there and went through my whole workout as planned though.
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I read a bunch of different stuff about lifting for women and had the same thing happen to me when I got to the gym. I also used a trainer to get orientated, and it's something I don't regret at all! It was nice to have someone observe whether or not I was using the correct form (Something hard to do at times since you can't see yourself!)

But that's awesome you didn't let it get you too down and went out and worked out anyway!