Hot Yoga

Options
Has anyone tried hot yoga before? I've taken a couple of classes, and am intending to go back, but I'd love to hear about other people's experiences with it. Yoga is amazing for body and soul, so I am very much looking forward to taking care of myself holistically, rather than just physically.

I am looking to lose weight and tone my body. Suggestions of other exercises would also be welcome!

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Squats deadlifts and pull ups
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I`ll look into incorporating some of those into my workout routines. Thanks!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I did hot yoga religiously for maybe a month.
    My legs thinned out a lot but I don't think I can give all the credit to the yoga since I would do an hour of cardio before which i found really helped me get through the class.
    It is really good if you can get through it all.
    I find it really hard and its horrible if you stop and go back into it. I'm trying to go back into it but dreading it.
    Also very very very expensive where I live.
  • Inrequia
    Inrequia Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a little pricey here too, but there are so many people who swear by it. Maybe I'll try doing some cardio beforehand.

I don't mind that it's hard to get back into.. I'm looking to challenge myself, and figure that it never hurts to try. :)
  • LeonaBlack
    Options
    I tried it once and I loved it. I'll be going again soon!
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it and was always intending to try it until I started practicing yoga on a regular basis. Most of the time the instructors heat up the room a little before class starts and that seems perfect. I don't know if I see a need for hot yoga. I might still try it one day just for the experience.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love it, I go once a week. Thankfully there's a 5 dollar hot class offered where I live. I let that be my exercise for the day. The first time I did it, I was SO sore the next two days in places that I've never been sore before haha. I'm fairly adjusted to it now though. It feels great to sweat so much.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I found ashtanga yoga not only a much better workout, but a lot more of a spiritual experience. Hot yoga just felt...stinky and forced. YMMV. :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Scientifically, I do not see a major benefit to hot yoga. Actually, I could see doing yoga in the snow as actually burning more calories.

Edit: I feel awkward enough in yoga class, I agree with the above poster about it just being hot and stinky this way.
  • blackbeauty43
    blackbeauty43 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My yoga instructor told me that hot yoga is really bad for your muscles and joints cause it makes you push past what is natural for your body and skill level. So I would recommend yoga, but not in a hot room.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The heat helps you stretch deeper, cutting down the time that your muscles need to 'warm up'. Don't know about the calorie aspect of it, though.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Actually, I could see doing yoga in the snow as actually burning more calories.

Mmm. I was thinking that. I suspect that sweating a lot gives people the impression they're doing something good. The purpose of exercise is to sweat, right? :o) Plus when you weigh yourself, you'll find you've lost weight... just not the right sort of weight.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Actually, I could see doing yoga in the snow as actually burning more calories.

Mmm. I was thinking that. I suspect that sweating a lot gives people the impression they're doing something good. The purpose of exercise is to sweat, right? :o) Plus when you weigh yourself, you'll find you've lost weight... just not the right sort of weight.

Spot on, my friend.