Recommendations for Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
Hi! Can anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor? I'm looking for something with calories too! Thanks!

Replies

• Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Polar T4 or T5. It told HRM and calories and I always felt it was accurate. I loved it but the battery ran out (after 4 years) and the chest band had to be sent back to the manufacturer to be replaced (I think they've changed that now). That was about $90. I was going to buy another one, but ended up splurging on a Nike GPS watch and bought a Polar chest strap to go with it. I'm embarrassed to admit what I spent on that but I'm loving it.
  • pip670
    pip670 Posts: 3
    Options
    HI I use a Polar FT7M - designed if the main effect of your training is fitness improvement or fat burning. It also displays calories burned and comes with comfortable textile transmitter and coded heart rate transmission to avoid cross-talk - very easy to set up and mid range price wise - my reckoning it does the same as the Polar FT40.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a chest strap, you're good! But I use a Polar. I can't remember which model and the watch doesn't say. I think it was around 130 bucks.
  • djmed
    djmed Posts: 5
    Options
    I recently bought a MIO Drive+ Petite and I love it. It does not have a chest strap, which most people will recommend, and supposedly the technology is such that one is not needed - which for me was a bonus. The price was also great at $60. A lot of people seem to like the Polar T7 which I would have had to purchase online and it was more than double the price.

So far I like it, its relatively easy to use. The calories burned seem to be a little higher than the online site I was using previously to find out my calorie burn. I don't need an exact number...not sure you could get an exact number...ballpark is fine for me.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you have to occasionally stop and touch the watch to read your HR monitor, it is not as accurate as a chest strap. I'm assuming that's how the MIO is, the one I looked at was like that. But maybe yours is different.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. The FT4 is also pretty good.

The FT7, you can change the batteries yourself. The FT4 might now too although I'm not certain. Just remember to figure out how often you need to wash the strap and stick to it. As often as I sweat during my workouts, I have to wash mine every 3rd one (more often than weekly as recommended).
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor? I'm looking for something with calories too! Thanks!

I have a Polar RS300 and love it! It measures calories burned and heart rate - also has the capability of setting 5 heart rate zones for zone training, which comes in very handy for me. I previously had a Polar FT7, but the RS300 seems more accurate for me.
  • amcanzo
    amcanzo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 which has a cute little white watch and a chest strap. I got it @ Target for about $60-$65. I really like the New Balance product especially since they stand behind their products (my husband had a pedometer that the clip broke, it was like a $30.00 product but we'd only had it a couple of months. All they asked was that I send a picture of it broken and they shipped us a brand new one within 2 days :bigsmile: )

I used to have a Polar FT1 - the most basic of basics but I really :love: my new one!
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4, and I really like it. If you don't mind it not having a GPS function, I'd say that it's a good HRM for the price. The chest strap is really inconspicuous underneath your clothes, and the wrist part just looks like a watch. I've had mine for a short time, but so far no problems to report!
  • Iric1783
    Iric1783 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT4 and I like it..Tells you calories etc and the chest strap is comfortable, I also wear the watch part as an actual watch for everyday use...