Yoga with glasses?

Options
This might be kind of a silly concern, but I'd love any input anyway.

My roommate really wants us to sign up for yoga classes. I'm totally on board with trying something new and adding more physical activity to my week, but I'm a little nervous about bending and twisting around with glasses on my face. I have no interest whatsoever in trying contacts, since the thought of poking myself in the eye every day scares me half to death. I could probably see the instructor and my surroundings okay without glasses, but depending on the size of the room, I wouldn't be able to be farther back than the second or third row.

So, is there such a thing as a glasses-wearing yoga-doer? Would any poses make them fall off?

Replies

• danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily go to classes for Yoga... but I do DDPYoga at home nightly and I am a 24/7 glasses wearer wearer with no issues. Yeah, sweat gets on them, but that will happen no matter what exercises you are doing. Give it a go, you aren't going to be making any sudden movements that will make you lose your glasses. I think that you will be alright

Edit: Wow, my grammar is horrible in that write up!!:ohwell:
  • hullygee
    Options
    Thanks very much! Sweat isn't a problem--they're always dirty anyway! xD I'm glad to know someone out there isn't having any problems with this. Also, I thought your grammar was fine!
  • housemamma
    housemamma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just finished my yoga class today while wearing glasses. They got a little steamy and crooked, but didn't fall off. Give it a try!
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yeah... dirt is always a problem. I looked into Lasik but unfortunately, I'm on the very tail end of the candidates and the docs told me "you might still have to wear glasses afterwards"... umm... no thanks! So, I will stick with the glasses... oh well! :smile:

Sports, will be a whole other issue for me. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Right now, it is just leaning out and trying to get more flexible. I wasn't a yoga believer until i tried the DDPYoga... Holy CRAP
  • Jjmcgaffey
    Options
    Mine slip around on my face too much, so when I do yoga or any exercise I take them off. If I need to see the instructor, I'd go to the front row - ask to be there if there's no space, or just go early. But I don't do yoga regularly. You might try with them on and with them off, and see what's most comfortable for you.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do yoga, and I have to wear glasses all the time. No issues here!
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses but I take them off during yoga. My eyes are mostly closed anyway while I'm doing it, so it's easier just to take them off.
  • BBEAU88
    BBEAU88 Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't usually have a problem doing yoga with my glasses on. If the glasses are already a bit loose, then they'll probably slip around more when you sweat, but I've never had mine fall off. :) It might also depend on the intensity of the yoga class you're doing. The vinyasa-style ones I've done have caused me to sweat more than the hatha-style (but that's in my own personal experience).
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I wear glasses and do yoga. I am very short-sighted, so wouldn't see beyond a few inches of my nose if I removed my glasses. I've had no problem with doing yoga and wearing my glasses. I do upside down poses too. I suppose it depends on how well your glasses fit - I've had mine fitted well, so they don't fall off if I bend forward, and they don't jiggle around if I run. You can always go to your optician and ask them to adjust the arms and the nose piece of your glasses if they are loose.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a cute chunky pair of glasses that I can't work out in or do yoga in. They don't fit quite right and slide off way too easily. But I have another better fitting pair that don't bother me while doing any of those things. I also find that wearing a thin elastic headband over them holds them in place really securely when doing more high impact stuff.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Before I got my contacts I worked out out in glasses. Okay, I didn't do yoga, but I did run, and my glasses did start to slip down my nose as I started to sweat, but you can always push them back up. I don't think there'll be too much trouble. Glasses are made to be functional. :)
  • cxa27
    cxa27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about hot yoga, but I've done yoga in the studio and at home while wearing glasses and never had an issue. I also run, walk, do circuit training, and more in my glasses. Yes, they get dirty, and yes I've sweat on them, but it's never been a problem. I experience far more discomfort getting sweat in my eyes than I do getting sweat on my glasses. :)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I wear contacts for exercise (all other times, glasses), but occasionally I forget and it's no big deal. Granted, I'll take them off for shoulder stand and plough, because it smashes my boobs into my face... yeah, good times.
  • hullygee
    Options
    I have a cute chunky pair of glasses that I can't work out in or do yoga in. They don't fit quite right and slide off way too easily. But I have another better fitting pair that don't bother me while doing any of those things. I also find that wearing a thin elastic headband over them holds them in place really securely when doing more high impact stuff.

Wow, I never would've thought of a headband! xD I'll keep that in mind if it's an issue.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My glasses would slip off slowly... slowly... woops there they go, while I'm doing down-dog. You could always just try it, and bring an old-fashioned sweatband, that would keep your hair back and your glasses pinned on if it proves to be a problem.

And I think there's gadgets you can get to hoop the glasses behind your ears more securely.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wear my glasses if I am having one of those days when I just can't handle not having my glasses on (my eyes will start to have a twitch), but otherwise I just don't wear my glasses (because it influenced my alignment if they start to slip and sometimes they do fall off) and I sit as close to the front as I can. At this point I know all the yoga poses so well, that in a way it really doesn't matter if I can see the instructor or not because I already know how to do it. On a side note, even if you can't see the instructor, you can see the people around you, if they are experienced and doing it well. Often in a yoga class there can be participants that are as experienced as the instructor. I'm also a dancer, so usually I dance without my glasses. I even perform without them. My eyesight is not that bad and once I get to performance I have an entire bodily understanding of what I am doing and where my body is in relation to everyone else.
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I go to yoga twice a week, And I have to take my glasses off. If I don't they fall off anyway. I don't find it an issue. I'm pretty nearsightened, but I can see well enough without the glasses to enjoy the class. Plus, since I can't really see anyone else, I can really focus on myself and not compare to others. :smile:
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Wow, I never would've thought of a headband! xD I'll keep that in mind if it's an issue.

I agree! A headband is a brilliant idea! Thanks!