55 and really out of shape Very discouraged with self

Options
Need to get started again. Went on recent vacation and could not keep up. Short of breath. Out of shape. Need a kick in the butt.

Replies

• kgates121
    kgates121 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, there are many small things you can do that will add up to increased energy. Everyone gets down once in a while. Walking helped me to have more energy. I have a ways to go to meet my desired weight, and to get their my goal is to get moving 45 minutes each day.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Pat yourself on the back for coming to this website and addressing your health. That's a very positive thing.

I'm 56 and would like to lose 20 more pounds. I lost 26 pounds doing Weight Watchers but I hit a plateau and decided to do something different. I love the tracker system here and the message boards.

Maybe we can encourage each other along the way.

Send me a friend request if you would like that.

Ann
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    One small step at a time. Every good meal, every extra walk is a step in the right direction.

I keep feeling I have a lot of mileage behind me but a lot still left to go. And if I give up now I don't even want to think about where I'll be at 70.
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Probably the first thing you should do is schedule an appointment with your GP for a FULL physical. Tell your GP about every ache, pain, concern you have. Make a list before you go. If possible, get your bloodwork done (make sure to include hormone and vitamin) levels before your appointment so you don't have to go back for results at another time. You may want to request x-rays of chest and any joints that are of particular concern as well. Attend to all issues and ask for a referral to a multidisciplinary medical weightloss clinic (they will want a copy of all recent bloodwork and test results, medications, etc.).

Once you are with the weightloss clinic, and make sure it is multidisciplinary, you will find many resources there as well as many options to begin to attain your goals. Sometimes, just making a start in the right direction will disipate your discouragement. You will have Doctors, Nurses, Behaviourists, Dieticians, even Social Workers to support you.

I started out at 240lbs and chose surgery as a tool to assist me with my goals and I am down to 183lbs in 9 months. I was much like you when I started out (it was the looming of my 50th birthday in 2010 that started me on my journey). The sooner you start the process the sooner you will start to feel better about your self.

I wish you love and luck, be strong, and by keeping your eyes on your goal that is the direction you will travel!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is also a group for women 50+ you might want to join. They are "50 something females" under the Community tab in groups.
  • judygorham
    Options
    I am 61 and feel much the same way as you. I have returned to my pal after 15 months,gained 50lbs.Started a weight loss clinic and have lost30lbs. I also feel so much out of shape and get discouraged with going backwards for awhile, wasting time. I need the support I get with my pal.With every lb. my breathing improves ,my walkingpace and distance improve. I can do this.We can do this. keep on striving. I would like to add you as a friend.
  • snyderali
    snyderali Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so encouraging. I am getting excited just by reading all your post. What strong a healthy women you all are. I guess I am not in this by myself. Best of luck to all of you. Let's keep this up together!!!! beautiful women!
  • Awesomom
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! We have ALL been where you are which is exactly why we came here. Congratulate yourself for taking that first step and be encouraged with that!! Then take the next right step!! Find a buddy who can be an accountability partner for you. If you have a friend in the area who is looking to lose weight or get in shape, make a commitment to go walking together. Start small. Walk to the mailbox. Then the next day, walk to the neighbor's house, then stretch it a little further the following day, and so on. You get the idea. This way, you will build stamina and endurance. Before you know it, you will be walking miles and feeling SO good about yourself!!!
    How do I know??? Been there, done that Hon!! I recently did something that I never thought I would do. I joined a gym!!! This was after I've been walking for a year. Yesterday when my husband & I were at the beach, we played Frisbee. While we were playing I actually ran to catch some of his throws. This 55 year old Mama hasn't run in many years!!! I was so excited about it. I'm telling you this so that you know that that there is hope for the future. I started my journey at 318 lbs. I still have a long way to go, but God is good & He is showing me a new path to health!!!