nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Who'd have thought!!

Replies

• brh2010
    brh2010 Posts: 9
    Options
    Who'd have thought!!

What bread? I get wheat every time and it doesn't have anywhere near 1.3 grams of sodium...I hope.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    anything cheese or deli is bound to have high sodium
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    When I get Subway I order the wheat bread but according to the subway website even the six inch italian herb and cheese bread with turkey and veggies has less sodium than that. Ordering pepperoni, salami, cheese, bacon or chipotle southwest sauce will increase the sodium levels.

http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=1&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1
  • nixism
    Options
    I had the plain garlic bread... I'll opt for wheat next time!!!
  • nixism
    Options
    1350 showed for the bread alone. I had only veges, NO cheese and NO meat.... so it was the bread... unless MFP is wrong??
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options
    WOW! 1760 according to subway.com for six inch roasted garlic bread only!! Butter and garlic salt...?

http://www.subway.com/Menu/Product.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&ProductId=1&MenuId=35&MenuTypeId=1
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    But that is how Jared lost weight.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's high in sodium, but in the greater scheme of things I think Subway can be pretty healthy compared to most fast food

My chicken in Italian bread 6" is:
    380 calories
    60g carbs
    5g fat
    25g protein
    880 mg of sodium

Nothing wrong with that - I can still keep within my recommended 1500 mg per day limit whenever I have one
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't think the sodium is in the actual bread. I think it's in the other stuff like the salad to help it keep. It's not fresh. They store it in these tubs and when a tub runs out they just go out the back and get another and every so often they get more tubs delivered. I only see them baking the bread. I have never seen a person out the back or whatever actually cutting up tomatoes and onions or anything like that. I think there is a factory that does that for them and the sodium would be added there.

I don't know if Subway uses MSG either. But they might.

Edit: I just googled it and yes, Subway does use both MSG and Aspartame on their food.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    According to their website, roasted garlic bread has 1260 mg of Sodium in a 6 inch sub. Most of the others are less than 400 mg. Thanks for pointing that out. I've never had the roasted garlic and will definitely steer clear of it with this knowledge.
  • puppylove3
    Options
    I get their sub way salad and put my own dressing on it and it smells and taste just like the sub without the bread.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't think the sodium is in the actual bread. I think it's in the other stuff like the salad to help it keep. It's not fresh. They store it in these tubs and when a tub runs out they just go out the back and get another and every so often they get more tubs delivered. I only see them baking the bread. I have never seen a person out the back or whatever actually cutting up tomatoes and onions or anything like that. I think there is a factory that does that for them and the sodium would be added there.

Edit: I just googled it and yes, Subway does use both MSG and Aspartame on their food.

Yea if you throw a bunch of sauces in your sub its gonna be a pile of sodium. Sodium generally not bad because if you workout a lot you lose a lot of sodium when you sweat. I haven't been to subway in a while but when I go I just keep it simple. Since I'm cutting now I rather keep things simplified for better results and consistency.
  • knw32183
    knw32183 Posts: 47
    Options

I work at Subway and we do cut our own tomatoes onions and cucumbers. Everything else comes pre packaged, so no idea what happens before it gets to us.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I love bread, but I've been skipping it completely and ordering their salad with spinach and lots of veggies plus avocado. Keeps me happy! I also only get a little bit of chicken, no cheese, and no deli stuff.
  • kjloiselle
    kjloiselle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked there, all the veggies, except the lettuce are prepared on site. Some stores will do it all in the morning, while others will do several bins throughout the day. No preservatives are added to any f the veggies. THey are merely prepared and placed in the bins fresh everyday. The meats all come prepared (except teriyaki where we add the sauce) and we divide them all up into servings, but again we don't add anything to it. If there are added msg etc. then thats done in production which is highly possible.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Who'd have thought!!

844 grams of sodium in a 6 inch wheat club. That's according to the MFP database.
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Subway has a sandwich builder on their website where you can enter in what you got and it will spit out your nutrition info.

I have found that sometimes people accidentally mis-enter things on MFP
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know I should count sodium but between counting calories, carbs, protein, fat, fiber and sugar I'll go bananas if I start into sodium! All that counting and I wouldn't have time to get to the gym lol

At least Subway has that awesome sub builder thing on their website. It makes me choose them rather than a restaurant where I wouldn't have any idea what I'm eating. Hopefully we can get some guidelines in place to make it mandatory for restaurants to inform the public. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure and information is the key to that prevention. Can't be healthy if you aren't informed.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked there, all the veggies, except the lettuce are prepared on site. Some stores will do it all in the morning, while others will do several bins throughout the day. No preservatives are added to any f the veggies.

Like I said. I've never actually seen out the back but since 2 of you have worked there. I'll take your word for it. All I have seen is when they tubs run out. They go out the back and get new tubs. And I've seen them baking the bread in the morning.

I just assumed that was where the sodium was because it is used as a preservative, and MSG and Aspartame are both flavour enhancers. I just know that other places like Mcdonalds for instance, do a lot trippy stuff to their salads and it wouldn't have surprised me if Subway did it too.

I just know there is a lot of sodium in Subway and it's probably the only thing that puts me off eating there more.
  • lightheartedangel
    lightheartedangel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Usually when I go there, I get a 6 inch veggie delite on the 9 grain honey oat bread with extra spinach, tomatoes, black olives, pickles and *very* easy honey mustard. It's tasty and low cal. I know there's going to be a little bit of sodium, but I just deal with it and move on.