started high intensity fitness regime - GAINED WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Results > scale or BF% measurements.

Just stick with your plan and results will come. Worrying about water weight from glycogen is just silly.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I weigh more than I did last summer.

rear-view-1.jpg

DILLIGAF? :happy:
  • Isaacdcm
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me every time Ive started a new type of workout, even if I have been working out.
    Seems to take about 6-8 weeks and all of a sudden a see a big drop in scale weight but meanwhile I see real body changes.

I do like to spend time in Sauna's and I find that consuming very large amounts of water and sweating them out will drop the weight for 2 or 3 days, but it will inevitably return to whatever level of water retention my body seems to think it needs.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just track bodyfat percentage (hydrostatic bodyfat test or another method) along with tape measurements.

My experience is that the scale is no longer practical at a certain point.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can't tell if this is a troll post or not.

You've lost inches, and you're concerned that your scale weight went up?

If you're losing inches while you're scale weight is going up, you've discovered the Holy Grail of fitness.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    U just said all of ur muscles are bigger and more toned.. and your body looks better, right?

Problem?
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    i completely understand what everyone is saying

but..

everyone is also missing the point that i still want to lose weight. fine i wont look at a scale but non the less i still need to lose 5-10 lbs

how can i do that if my body is retaining water and doesnt let me shed fat??
  • Esq88
    Options

If you're losing inches while you're scale weight is going up, you've discovered the Holy Grail of fitness.

im not a troll, thanks
    maybe for a male bodybuilder that is the goal

but for a 20 something girl whos just trying to tone out her arms legs and abs its not the goal to see the scale go up
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

but..

everyone is also missing the point that i still want to lose weight. fine i wont look at a scale but non the less i still need to lose 5-10 lbs

Retaining water doesn't prevent you from shedding fat. You are the one missing the point here. You are hung up on meaningless weight numbers. Do you have any clue what your body *should* weight once you have reached a high percent of lean body mass? Of course you don't, unless you have achieved it before. So just stop being so obsessed with a certain number and concentrate on your fitness.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

im not a troll, thanks
    maybe for a male bodybuilder that is the goal

but for a 20 something girl whos just trying to tone out her arms legs and abs its not the goal to see the scale go up

You simply just don't get it.
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Higher glycogen storage because of higher energy output. Not uncommon.
    Could you explain this for me? I thought it was just me who gained weight after increasing exercise.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You weigh more because you are losing fat and gaining muscle.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

but..

Nobody is missing anything. If you're losing inches and your scale weight is going up, you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time -- that makes you part of a discrete and insular minority of lucky people. Congratulations.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

rear-view-1.jpg

love it when you post this!!!

OP do you SEE this?
    i get what you're saying, but just work hard and your body will take care of the rest..i lost 30 pounds, then for some reason stayed the same weight for 6 months!!! yes it was frustrating, but my body kept looking better and better from weight lifting, then 10 more came off. i would still like to lose more, but now I am just focusing on how I look
  • Esq88
    Options

but..

Nobody is missing anything. If you're losing inches and your scale weight is going up, you're losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time -- that makes you part of a discrete and insular minority of lucky people. Congratulations.

strict scrutiny? LOL
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

rear-view-1.jpg

love it when you post this!!!

OP do you SEE this?
    i get what you're saying, but just work hard and your body will take care of the rest..i lost 30 pounds, then for some reason stayed the same weight for 6 months!!! yes it was frustrating, but my body kept looking better and better from weight lifting, then 10 more came off. i would still like to lose more, but now I am just focusing on how I look

how much do you weigh?
    i cant tell by your profile..looks like your goal is 125, which at 5'7" seems very light.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

but..

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!! That is what everyone is trying to tell you. If I could lose 2-3 clothing sizes and have a rock hard body but my scale would say I'm 20 lbs heavier than my "goal weight" I would fine with that.

I think you need to decide if you want muscles/tone and to look great or if you want your scale to say a certain # no matter how you look.

If you want muscles and a nice toned body keep doing what you are doing and never step on a scale again, if you want the scale to say 5-10 less than stop lifting, eat at a deficit and reach your "goal" weight and be happy not looking as good as you want.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Ok. If you are really interested and serious about lifting, please do yourself a favor and read "New Rules of Lifting for Women." The author does an amazing job of explaining why scale weight isn't a big deal, and how lifting works and benefits you. You cannot really "tone" muscle without actually building some muscle. If you gain muscle THE SCALE WILL GO UP. That DOESN'T mean you haven't lost your 5lbs of fat.

Think of it this way, for an example:

Let's say someone starts out at 135 lbs with the goal of "getting leaner and building muscle" (i.e.: Losing fat and looking more toned). She LOSES 5 pounds of fat, but GAINS 10 pounds of muscle (Obviously over time; this wouldn't happen quickly at all for a woman, but this is for example purposes). The scale is going to say she weighs 140. But she actually has 5 pounds LESS fat on her body than she did before.

You are way, way too caught up on what that scale says. Have your body fat measured.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

but..

Ah, now we've pinpointed your misunderstanding. Nothing is preventing your body from shedding fat. The water/glycogen has pretty much nothing to do with fat loss.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options

but..

strict scrutiny? LOL

We might be able to be friends after all. :smile: