Want to Get My Mojo Back

Options
Hi,

I just joined today and this is all very new to me. Basically, I've always had to watch my weight but had always kept it fairly under control with keeping active. But 4 years ago my husband and I separated and I went from a stay at home mom (for 9 years) back into the workforce, at first part-time and then full-time. The year leading up to the divorce I actually lost about 20 pounds, probably due to stress. Since then, though, I've put it all back on and then some...

I have just found it really hard to stick to an exercise plan. I work 65 miles from where I live, so I drive 25 minutes to the train and then have an hour on the train after that. And that's if I catch an express train -- the local tacks on another 25 minutes of train time. After getting home and dealing with dinner, homework, baths and bedtime for the kids -- well, I'd rather collapse on the couch with a glass of pinot than hit the elliptical at that point.

After taking a recent vacation (by myself!) I looked at the pictures and realized that I really, really didn't want to look this way anymore. I'm tired of finding reasons to leave the room when people bring out cameras. And I wouldn't mind going on a date again sometime in this lifetime either :wink: but just haven't felt good enough about myself to sign up on any of the on-line dating sites.

I've been a lot better lately about packing my lunch most days -- now I just need to get serious about consistently exercising. I'll be 47 in a week, so it's definitely more challenging to lose weight than it used to be, but I know it's possible.

So any moral support, friendly suggestions about what works for you, etc. would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the rambling...

Replies

• migdalp
    migdalp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! I have under active Thyroid and that has increased my weight even more than after having my girls. I re started this journey of loosing lbs since Feb and till recently restarted counting my calories on here. It's been hard!!! I have lost like 20 lbs now, but only because I increased my days to the gym. That is what I think and what has helped me also is the skinny rules by Bob Harper from the biggest looser show. I started exercising very slowly and all of a sudden it has become an obsession, lol. I actually enjoy it, where months ago I had no interest at all.
  • lindab405
    lindab405 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    20 lbs is a great! I'll be ecstatic when I can say that I've lost that. Exercise is definitely a key factor for me too - I just have to get back in the routine! I prefer to be outside, if possible, so I'm looking forward to these next several months when it's not too hot and not too cold.
  • DRNESTER
    DRNESTER Posts: 32
    Options
    Sounds like you're taking the steps to get serious about things...CONGRATS AND WELCOME! Im great with supporting ppl...add me if youd like. =)
  • westie007
    westie007 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can be in your shoes re work and travel time and mojo lol. I have been on the site for a week and find it a brilliant tool. Feel free to add me as a friend. Take care and enjoy,
  • lindab405
    lindab405 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Sending you a friend request now!