started high intensity fitness regime - GAINED WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Muscle weigh more. I agree. Have your BMI measure.

I think you mean to say BF%, not BMI. BMI is meaningless for most people, as it does not take body composition into consideration at all.
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    Use a site like this - http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html - to calculate an estimate of your body fat percentage. It's not exact science or anything, but it will put you in the ball park.

For me, at 134 pounds and approximately 20% body fat, I have about 107 pounds of lean mass. That's my bones, organs, muscle, etc. That means I have 27 pounds of fat.

Ideally, you want to keep as much lean mass as possible if you lose weight. Some loss is inevitable. Let's say I wanted to get to 120 pounds. If I kept all or most of my lean mass, I'd have to have around 10% body fat at 120 pounds. That's not sustainable or healthy. I can't weight 120 pounds now without losing muscle. And I worked too damn hard for this to lose it.

On the other hand, about 10 years ago, I had a jaw joint problem and couldn't eat normally, and lost a lot of weight. I was only about 120 pounds then. I also didn't have as much muscle then, and lost more of it in the process. Any article of clothing I have from that time period fits me now at 134 lbs.

I'm about 15 pounds heavier, and the same exact same frickin' size. But much better shaped and less jiggley. :smile:

here are my results:

Body Mass Index: 20.9 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.39
    Percent Body Fat: 19.6%
    Lean Body Mass: 103.7 lb

Your weight is in the normal range.
    You do not need to lose weight.
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1855 Calories per day
    Your diet should contain at least 97 grams of protein per day.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Body Mass Index: 20.9 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.39
    Percent Body Fat: 19.6%
    Lean Body Mass: 103.7 lb

And those are some damn good numbers!

But that means, to weigh 120 pounds, you'd have to either lose muscle (not a good option) or have only 13% body fat, which is also not a good option. That's like the bf% of female body builders during competitions... even they don't have it that low during their "off season."

(Also keep in mind that these are only estimates, but still 120 is really, really low for a taller woman.)
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options

my goal is something like this:

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2200000/Angels-banners-victorias-secret-angels-2285385-400-267.jpg

Yes they are thin but they are also muscular (and not overly muscular in my opinion like the photo that was just posted)

I hope you realize that even those models have said that keeping their body like that is a full-time job. It is what they are paid to do as models. They have said that the average person can't look like them. I really wish I could find you this quote...
  • Corosa
    Corosa Posts: 7
    Options
    You sound like me. Haha. I lost 45lbs through strict diet and intense cardio with moderate body sculpting with weights... I just recently started CrossFit, and I have gained 3 -4lbs in a month since starting. What I am doing, to rid my glycogen stores and keep lean muscle is a ketogenic diet. This depletes your glycogen and makes youe body use ketones for energy which comes from fatty acids in your body. It.is not easy. You will feel like **** when you transition, and the scale won't go down fast beecause you are replacing fat with muscle, which weighs more.
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    You sound like me. Haha. I lost 45lbs through strict diet and intense cardio with moderate body sculpting with weights... I just recently started CrossFit, and I have gained 3 -4lbs in a month since starting. What I am doing, to rid my glycogen stores and keep lean muscle is a ketogenic diet. This depletes your glycogen and makes youe body use ketones for energy which comes from fatty acids in your body. It.is not easy. You will feel like **** when you transition, and the scale won't go down fast beecause you are replacing fat with muscle, which weighs more.

please please elaborate on this ketogeniic diet
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    hello all, im here for some advice:
    :noway:
    Oh god, you obviously don't care what anyone is saying so I'll just say what you want to hear:
    "yes sweetie, it is fat, the scale going up means that you need to lose weight! Stop eating, avoid sodium, ignore that you can see your abs it's fat!!"
    :laugh:
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Fail
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Keto runs will deplete those glycogen stores; however, from everything I've read, a keto run should not be a long-term lifestyle type of diet. So I would assume that once you come off the keto run and replace your glycogen stores, those few pounds she gained from glycogen storage may return. Not to say that the keto run is ineffective; it will definitely burn fat pretty quickly. But the glycogen stores will come back once you begin eating carbs again.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    what a freakin waste
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Head bangs against wall.
  • pinkbullets
    pinkbullets Posts: 15 Member
    Options

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/2200000/Angels-banners-victorias-secret-angels-2285385-400-267.jpg

Yes they are thin but they are also muscular (and not overly muscular in my opinion like the photo that was just posted)

I hope you realize that even those models have said that keeping their body like that is a full-time job. It is what they are paid to do as models. They have said that the average person can't look like them. I really wish I could find you this quote...

Not to mention, they're also more than likely photoshopped in certain areas.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Not to mention, they're also more than likely photoshopped in certain areas.

Those models also probably weigh more than they look like they do. They have muscles, so they're going to weigh more.

Agree with the head banging though!
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Higher glycogen storage because of higher energy output. Not uncommon.
    Could you explain this for me? I thought it was just me who gained weight after increasing exercise.

Glycogen is basically carbs stored in muscles. It's used for energy. When you train with weights you demand more energy from your muscles. So they have to store more carbs in them. This will weigh you down.
    Interesting. Whenever this happened in the past, I would gain, get discouraged and give up. I was at that point this week because it was happening again. Now, I know not to give up as this is normal after all. Thx!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Like everyone's said... screw the frickin' scale. You are the only one who sees that number. And your doctor, but your doctor generally only cares if you've very over or very under weight.

I was really skinny in high school, then quite thin again in my early 30s when I couldn't eat from a jaw problem. As I mentioned before, I can't weigh what I weighed then again. I have a lot more lean mass. But that lean mass doesn't take up more space.

Here's a picture of me 10 years ago and now. I was 120 pounds then. I'm 134 now.

P6170004-copy.jpg

Here's me more than 20 years ago, and again 20 years later, in the same pair of jeans. 110 pounds in 1991. About 132 in 2011.

1991-2011-copy.jpg

(The really sad part? Those were considered low rise jeans then!!!!)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

1991-2011-copy.jpg

(The really sad part? Those were considered low rise jeans then!!!!)

That's my favorite one you've ever posted. Reminds me of the pics of Staci from NerdFitness....

gotta go find that one now. another good example for this thread.,,
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    here's the article about Staci.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

OP:
    read this whole thing please.
    Pay attention to the pic at the end that shows her LOOKING WAY BETTER and SKINNIER but WEIGHING MORE.

This is the point everyone in this thread is trying to make to you.

Seriously, right now I am 122 and barely squeezing into size 5 jeans...if I could slide into a 3 effortlessly and was tight and firm all over, I would not give a crap if the scale said 140....screw the scale. the mirror and the measurements are what matter.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    hello all, im here for some advice:

i lost 25 lbs in the past year by eating healthy and doing mild cardio. about a month ago i kicked it into high gear and decided to start weight training
    i am in my 4th week and see a MAJOR change, my abs are peaking, my biceps, triceps shoulders are much more defined.

about the 2nd week i saw that the number of the scale kept going up (although im still eating right and staying at the right calorie intake) - in the beggining i would drink 2-3 protein shakes a day and have now changed that to 1 protein shake a day and went from gold standard whey to hydro whey (same brand) + i incorporate high intensity cardio now before lifting weights.

the number just doesnt budge. On a given day I'm 4-5 lbs heavier than i was when i started.

i did my research and saw many wrote about weight retention when starting a new fitness regime.

I need advice on how to get this number down. Its been almost a month shouldnt my weight be stabilizing out?
    (P.S i DID NOT put on 4-5 lbs of muscle in a month thats physically impossible)

So your abs are peaking, your new program is working great, and you're looking better each week? Wait, what's the problem here? Throw your scale away and keep doing what you're doing. Lose your obsession with a number that no one knows but you.
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    Its gotta be muscle and water weight