water water everywhere

Options
jaj68
jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
I am really struggling to drink water, just plain old water. I was a caffeine free diet coke fanatic....but I have limited it down from way too many a day.....to maybe one a week.
But I am struggling with the whole water thing. I added some lemon juice. I am not a coffee drinker or a tea drinker. I don't want to drink my calories so I stay away from juices and milk.
I have bought flavored water for when I can't take one more ounce of water.....but I know that isn't much better than pop since it has artificial junk/sweeteners.
Anyone else have this problem? and how did you overcome it?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    a glass of water with a meal three times a day would do me.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I personally have GROWN to love water but a suggestion I would give wld be to try something like Crystal Light (or generic); no additional calories but great taste
  • abuch912
    abuch912 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you tried Crystal Lite? I find that helps and its low cal
  • Ang_Quark
    Options
    Tbqh, I'm a bit of a desert creature too. I try to drink water when I'm eating and during/after I work out because those are the times I feel most thirsty. That ~averages to about 6 cups a day.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The Grape Crystal Light on the go packets have been my go-to since cutting out soda and upping my water intake. I use a 1/4 packet each time I fill up my 23 oz water bottle and its been great. It gives a great flavor and is easy to carry with me so I can fill my water bottle anywhere or just buy one if I'm in a pinch and I'm good to go. My co-worker just told me she does Crystal Light and will add it to seltzer water if she wants a fizzy drink and its really good as well. I plan to try that soon.

Something I want to start trying soon is creating my own flavored water. You fill a pitcher with water and then add in slices of your favorite fruits or things like cucumber and let it seep into the water to give it a subtle flavor.

I used to never drink water and would drink 2-3 sodas a day and a vitaminwater as well. I'm up to at least 80oz of water a day and enjoying it! The box of 10 of the Crystal Light packets are $2.89 where I live, but I get 4 uses out of each packet so it breaks down to $.07 a bottle for me...so much $$ saved from buying all that soda as well!
  • alycat06
    alycat06 Posts: 75
    Options
    I know this sounds very, very simple, but I use a cup with a straw. I have it at my desk at work, and it makes drinking the required amount so much easier. In fact, I am now averaging 16-18 8oz. cups a day. I now LOVE it -- can't get enough. I am also a Coke Zero addict, which I found that I consumed a lot more when I drank with a straw. Now I don't. Again, I know this sounds simple, but it's what worked for me.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    try putting some cucumber slices and a couple of crushed mint leaves.
    its much flavorful and refreshing
  • jaj68
    Options
    as far as the Crystal light. I thought anything with the artificial sweeteners was supposed to be almost taboo?
    I thought I remember reading that using the artificial sweeteners makes you still crave sugar. That is why I have tried to rid my diet of them. But I crave something with some flavor.....not just water.
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have not done any research to the amount of water your body actually needs. However I do know that water is a by product of chemical reactions in your body, of course not enough to supply the needs of your body which is why we have to drink water, and we get water from the foods we eat. With that said I don't "try" to drink a certain amount of water, I drink when I am thirsty. This seems to work for me. I am not saying you shouldn't try to get in a certain amount of water, I'm saying I don't. My urine is pale yellow and I have no signs of dehydration. On a typical day I would say I get 6-7 cups of water.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my first blog post was named exactly the same thing with exactly the same topic lol :huh: This is what I wrote

Try some water with:

lemon or lime
    mint leaves** and lemon or lime
    mint leaves with cucumber
    other citrus like oranges or tangerines
    sliced berries
    strawberries and rosemary (stolen from another website mwahah)
    a splash of your favorite juice
    a splash of flavored seltzer water

But I really just got used to water by itself. There's no easy way to start liking water except to just drink it plain all the time haha.
  • jaj68
    Options
    hhaha.....I knew I liked you cupcakeharpy!
  • snappled
    snappled Posts: 48
    Options
    Yeah i really didnt like drinking water either. I would only drink it at work and nowhere else.

what i do now is drink water when i eat subway which i hope will be everyday now

I also add onions to my sub so that way i NEED to drink some water.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    If you have a smartphone or an iPod touch, there is an app I got recommended by a friend for the very same thing.

It's called "Water Your Body." They do have a free version. It calculates how much water you need to be drinking and then goes out (sounds like a faucet) every two hours to remind you to drink. You input how much you consumed etc..
  • jaj68
    Options
    no smart phone here, or ipad.

I found a quiz online that tells you how much water you should drink, based on climate, weight, activity level,..and a whole bunch of other things.

My amount to drink daily was 123.5 ounces.....3 liters. hmmmmm

I still don't know about drinking Crystal light. I really thought we were supposed to stay away from artificial sweeteners.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    Generally, yeah, artificial sweeteners like that or aspertame are huge no-nos.

Do you have any relatives or friends with gardens? Specifically gardens with fruit or mint? Take some mint leaves or fruit as others have suggested and toss those in your water.

And pleeeeeeeease stay away from the MiO flavor things. Definitely not good for you.

If none of those ^^ work out for you, the only thing I can say is monitor your water intake...best advice I have for you.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    hhaha.....I knew I liked you cupcakeharpy!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Owning a Sodastream and making my own seltzer has completely saved my water intake.
  • katiefly86
    Options
    I'm a huge sweet tea fan, and when I started I too hated water. I find that drinking it really cold helps me to tolerate it better. Good luck!!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    buy a drink bottle. Take it everywhere. sip from it frequently.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Iced herbal tea! Celestial Seasonings makes many delicious caffeine-free fruit flavors that are so good. You could sweeten with stevia (a non artificial zero cal sweetner that is from a plant), if you crave a sweet drink.