College dorm room snacks?

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
Hey guys, I'm a college student. I have access to multiple dining halls, but I'm headed out to WalMart today to get some snacks for my mini-fridge.

I'm looking for some healthy snacks for late-night studying sessions, or for when I'm in class or busy, and therefore miss the scheduled dining hall hours. Right now, I've got string cheese, yogurt, and peanut butter (I have Wheat Thins already in my room). Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something that's preferably a little cheap, since I'm on a college budget.

I appreciate everybody's help in advance!

Replies

• asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Go down the snack isle they have lot`s of 100 cal snacks! great value brand is cheap and yummy. I love the yougurt coverd pretzles. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • etherealdoll
    Options
    Apples, sugar-free jello, low-cal canned soup, popcorn (I have the Orville Redenbacher SmartPop individual bags and it's 100 cals per bag), and oatmeal!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Get fruits and veggies.

Baby carrots, grapes, apples, cut up bell peppers (dip into hummus), etc.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Cereal is pretty low-calorie for generous portion sizes and usually enhanced with all sorts of vitamins and minerals. I like to eat it dry or mix it in with yogurt. Popcorn kernels are also super cheap and popcorn is loaded with fiber, and it's really not that hard to make it on the stove.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, good quality protein bars, applesauce, hummus, graham crackers or animal crackers/cookies
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Pretzels (check sodium since each brand ranges), raisins, nuts, fruit rollups are only 50 cals a pop, Reduced Fat Pringles 140 cals for 16 chips, and granola bars (chewy or crunchy). I only suggested those since they are easy to store and dont need a frig. Unless you have a fullsize frig, its not like you have a ton of room.

Good luck with school!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Microwaveable rice cooker, brown rice, and some frozen veggies. Cheap good for you and easy. Ditch the crackers and the 100 cal stuff. It's just filler and doesn't really sate you.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Trail mix! Don't buy it pre-made pick up almonds, peanuts, dark chocolate chips, and dried fruit. Mix and enjoy.

Edited to add: high fiber cereal
  • sweetiebrittie
    sweetiebrittie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had string cheese, apple sauce, and yogurt in my dorm mini fridge.
    Crackers and cheese might be a good snack.
    Peanut butter and apples
    Edamame
    Fruit- grapes, oranges, and so on
  • HisRighteousness
    Options
    I'd recommend Lipton green tea (diet, 0 CALORIE) for your drink, and green no seed grapes. We have a Food Lion here. I like to eat the my essentials 45 cal turkey breast and any store brand fruit cocktail in light syrp. I hope this helps :smile:
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Shoot for the protein and the complex carbs, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities to get the less healthy stuff all over campus. Peanuts, fruit, cheese and yogurt, whole wheat bread, even milk and protein powder (protein shakes can keep me going for hours). Avoid the crackers and low-cal snack packs - they won't keep you full and you'll definitely overeat if you're eating them while you're up studying. Things that made me fat in college: alcohol and Goldfish.

Also make sure you stick to coffee, tea, and water - don't buy soda and juice if you tend to drink your calories. Just avoid the temptation.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, here's what I munch on:

100 cal popcorn
    beef jerky
    apples
    peaches
    nectarines
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    chex mix
    pretty much any fruit LOL
    sugar free jello
    low cal pudding
    yoplait fruplait
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies! Whatever is in season or on sale =)
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Get fruits and veggies.

Baby carrots, grapes, apples, cut up bell peppers (dip into hummus), etc.

Oooh, baby carrots! Do you know about how long those last in the fridge?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I love the little mini pretzels dipped in hummus or cottage cheese. They're also good with peanut butter, and so are baby carrots.
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Shoot for the protein and the complex carbs, I'm sure there's plenty of opportunities to get the less healthy stuff all over campus. Peanuts, fruit, cheese and yogurt, whole wheat bread, even milk and protein powder (protein shakes can keep me going for hours). Avoid the crackers and low-cal snack packs - they won't keep you full and you'll definitely overeat if you're eating them while you're up studying. Things that made me fat in college: alcohol and Goldfish.

Also make sure you stick to coffee, tea, and water - don't buy soda and juice if you tend to drink your calories. Just avoid the temptation.

My only drinks are coffee, tea, milk, and water- I'm allergic to soda, so no worries there. :)
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, everybody. Keep 'em coming!

So far, I have:

-Milk (1%)
    -Baby carrots
    -Fudgesicles (my 100-calorie treat, haha)
    -Popcorn
    -Yogurt
    -Cereal (I'm thinking maybe Fiber One...? Mostly to mix with yogurt in case I miss breakfast)
    -Whatever fruit happens to be on sale
    -Red bell peppers
    -Laughing Cow Cheese (maaaaaaaaaaaaybe if I have enough money, though food is a lot cheaper here in WA than it was back home in CA!)
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My daughter is in college. She keeps oatmeal packets in her room. She also has a big bag of 123 cake mix for when she wants chocolate (1 box angel food cake mix, 1 box any other flavor, mix those together. 3 T mix plus 2 T water in microwave for 1 minute = a perfect ~120 cal cake).
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    My daughter is in college. She keeps oatmeal packets in her room. She also has a big bag of 123 cake mix for when she wants chocolate (1 box angel food cake mix, 1 box any other flavor, mix those together. 3 T mix plus 2 T water in microwave for 1 minute = a perfect ~120 cal cake).
    Oh wow, I totally forgot about 3-2-1 cake! Awesome idea.