Help.. Im new

Options
I'm new here and after a bit of encouragement and motivation In the way of good news stories... How has this worked for you? I'm 22, with fibro, m.e, hyper mobility amongst other illnesses. I have approx 40lbs to lose

I am concerned about limiting myself to 1200 calories a day but desperate to loose weight, been doing slimming world on and off for years and tried WW too looking for a change.

If I exercise it gives me more daily calories, do you increase your food intake or stick to your original limit?

Bare with me I'm learning

Thanks xx

Replies

• yelsel58
    yelsel58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    go on success storys in the community section lots on there with piccys hun
  • theloppi
    theloppi Posts: 18
    Options
    I think it's best to eat the calories you burn when you exercise. Your body needs them! Also if you eat TOO little it can stall and slow your weightloss down.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • Pomroy89
    Pomroy89 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks x
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and after a bit of encouragement and motivation In the way of good news stories... How has this worked for you? I'm 22, with fibro, m.e, hyper mobility amongst other illnesses. I have approx 40lbs to lose

I am concerned about limiting myself to 1200 calories a day but desperate to loose weight, been doing slimming world on and off for years and tried WW too looking for a change.

If I exercise it gives me more daily calories, do you increase your food intake or stick to your original limit?

Bare with me I'm learning

Thanks xx

I used this last year to lose 40 pounds and was very happy with my results.

You do not have to limit yourself to 1200 calories. If you set up your profile aiming to lose 2lbs per week, then MFP gave you a 1000 calorie per day deficit. If you drop it down to 1lb per week, it will only give you a 500 calorie deficit. You can play around with it and find a calorie goal that you can live within. As long as you have a deficit, you will lose--it's just a question of how quickly you'll lose.

There is raging debate around here about whether to eat your exercise calories. I usually eat back at least half of them. If I'm sure of exercise calories burned, I eat them all back.

MFP aims to keep you at a consistent calorie deficit whether you exercise or not, which is why it adds exercise calories back into your daily goal.
  • Pomroy89
    Options
    go on success storys in the community section lots on there with piccys hun

Thanks auntie Lesley xx
  • Pomroy89
    Options
    I think it's best to eat the calories you burn when you exercise. Your body needs them! Also if you eat TOO little it can stall and slow your weightloss down.

Thanks for the reply Hun x
  • jammer1964
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I recently joined too, and it's been awesome. The people here are incredible at giving support and motivation when you need it.

Add some friends ... they help keep you focused and encourage you when you need it.

Good luck!
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great site for motivation and inspiration lots of great success stories. Whether or not you eat back your exercise calories is a personal choice some do some don't. I generally don't unless i need them for a special occasion, but I really don't think it's a problem if you do unless you are over estimating the amount burned.

Try to make the 1200 calories you eat good protein, and veggies and fruits nuts. Don't forget the water and try to take a 30 minute walk everyday to start. Sometimes when you are new it helps to just concentrate on one thing at a time, and others like to dive in head first!

Good luck!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back most of my exercise calories... this site was designed to already give you a caloric deficit without exercising... so when you exercise, your deficit increases... therefore, they suggest you eat back those earned calories. I've been logging in and following MFP for about a year and a half and I've lost nearly 90 lbs. It works... just be consistent!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    IMHO...I try to vary my calorie intake. Some days I eat all my exercise calories, some days I do not. I don't like to let my body get too used to things!

Friend Request (FR) me if you'd like.
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome. We are all here to learn and be encouraged and make friends. Feel free to ase any questions you have, I may not have the answers but we can learn them together. I sent you a friend request.
    Take care,
    Doni
  • songbird1960
    songbird1960 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Focus on your health first and making healthy choices with food, drinks and getting exercise whenever you can. The rest will take care of itself. For me, its been a learning experience just to track what i eat and be aware of the calories, sugar and fat that i eat during one day. I am much more conscious of what i put in my mouth an have found myself saying "no" to food and YES to getting moving. All to say ...be kind to yourself and listen to your body