Mind v Body DIsconnect?

Options
Casey45
Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
Yesterday I happened to grip my knees when I was sitting down and suddenly realized they are much smaller than they used to be. So too my elbows. What is remarkable is how surprising that felt. Seems my deep down self image has not adjusted to the new, real me. I guess that's why I keep looking in the mirror and window reflections I pass to check myself out. Constantly it's with a sense of surprised wonder. Is that really me? Maybe so many years of being obese carries a long term shadow in my internal self? Anybody else have a similar disconnect going on?

48 down, approximately 15-25 to go (depending on BF ratio, health and fitness, anyway you measure it though, I'm getting close)

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Great job ...... keep working it ....... and yes, we get so used to seeing ourselves one way, that it takes a while to get used to the "new" person .......

Enjoy your happy, healthy new lifestyle :drinker:
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I do. Walking up to my front door, you walk facing a big window. I used to look down or turn my head, now I look at myself and smile a little. The smile gets bigger as I get smaller.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I lost 150 lbs and legit didn't realize I had lost any weight at all until I went clothes shopping for the first time in two years. Now I think I'm a little overconfident in how I see myself, and it's always a shocker when I get an unflattering photo and realize I still have work to do. :noway:
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The other day I was telling someone whom I just met that I had always been heavy - saying it in a manner that conveyed that they obviously already knew this (or could guess this from my current state). Well, the look of surprise on her face was great! It was clear that my statement, matched with my current appearance, caught her off guard. It was kinda a wake-up call that I am no longer obese or even overweight, and that yeah, I look good! And that I may still see myself as that round little ball, but others - especially those people I'm just meeting - do not!

I'm sure it'll take a while for this disconnect to go away entirely, if it ever does. But I do feel that the healthy weight is here to stay, so I've got time! :bigsmile:
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have lost a similar amount and still have a similar amount to loose! But I always refer to myself as large to people I meet! I run clinics and one of my patients said to me the other day Ill call the next patient in for you save your little legs I said " not really little" and she said your jokeing arn't you? I thought actually they are quite little now I think your perception of yourself takes longer to change then your body! x
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes! My brain is definitely still many pounds heavier than my body. I am still constantly surprised when I get a "flash" of my true appearance.

I heard someone else on MFP theorize that it is about a six-month lag time between brain and body -- so Hang in there!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    YES! big time... it just won't sink in. At my biggest I didn't see how big I was and am totally shocked looking back. Now is the opposite I feel like I'm the girl I was at my biggest. certainly takes a long time to catch up! x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!