General Do's and Dont's?

Options
Just a quick question,
I don't really know that much about dieting, some 'rules' i've heard about dieting have turned out to be untrue, so I was just wondering, what are the general do's and dont's when it comes to dieting?

Thanks

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Generally eat less junk and exercise more covers it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out any food groups entirely
    Don't get so wrapped up in this you can't think about anything else
    Don't freak out when the scale does whatever it wants to
    Don't compare yourself to other people
    Don't beat yourself up when you enjoy a meal out or a party (track it and own it)

Do eat less than you burn
    Do track everything you eat (everything)
    Do exercise of some kind more days than not
    Do aim for protein and fiber at every meal to keep full on less
    Do get 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies daily... different colors is a plus
    Do drink plenty of water so that you pee clear at least once a day
    Do enjoy your life!
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Most of the "rules" I think you're talking about are not scientifically founded by more fad things that people come up with and think, it works for me so it must work for everybody!!!

As stated, the basic rule to lose weight is eat less move more. You need to expend more calories than you consume. Of course it is possible to cut calories down and lose weight without exercise, but exercising is very good for your heart and makes me feel good.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Generally eat less junk and exercise more covers it.

This and....here's my two cents

DO: research healthy meals (breakfast, lunch dinner and don't forget snacks)
    log every day no matter what - accountability is the key to your success.

DON'T: rely on MFP or MFPers to do the work for you.
    expect to eat out every day and still lose weight
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Most of the "rules" I think you're talking about are not scientifically founded by more fad things that people come up with and think, it works for me so it must work for everybody!!!

As stated, the basic rule to lose weight is eat less move more. You need to expend more calories than you consume. Of course it is possible to cut calories down and lose weight without exercise, but exercising is very good for your heart and makes me feel good.

^^^^^ This
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    DO exercise.
    DON'T eat more calories then you burn up.
  • clickybang
    clickybang Posts: 10 Member
    Options

This is a great list - I'm going to 'borrow' it for my filofax to remind myself during the day, thanks :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Appropriate calorie deficit for the amount you have to lose. IE, you can't lose 2 pounds a week when you only have five pounds to lose. When in doubt, choose a lower amount. Better to lose weight slow and steady than try to lose too fast, get burned out and quit.

Good nutrition and adequate protein. Lots of fruits and vegetables, and treat your protein goal as a minimum to pass, not a maximum to stay under.

Eat mostly food that's purchased close to it's natural form. IE, chicken breast not chicken nuggets. But your body is resilient enough to handle the occasional pizza. :happy:

Find a regular exercise you enjoy. And lift some weights even if you don't enjoy them. And rest at least one day a week.

Track your progress through fitness goals, how clothes fit, measurements and photos, not just the scale.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Don't give up.

Don't think this is a temporary solution until you get to your goal.
  • jadieee123
    Options
    Thanks guys this is really great advice :)
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    DON'T think of it as a diet. Diets are temporary.
    DO think of it as a life style change. You need to be healthy forever.
    DON'T stress when you go over your calories... it happens and there is always tomorrow.
    DO drink plenty of fluids.
    DON'T lose too fast.
    DO remember that you are beautiful no matter what.
    DON'T freak out when you've lost 20lb and you don't see a difference... others do see it and if they are nice they will tell you.
    DO take before, during, and after pictures. You don't have to share them with anyone, but they help you stop freaking out when you don't see a difference.

DO watch your sodium. It makes you retain water and then makes the scale do scary things... like make you cry. When that happens drink TONS of water!
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Do remember that everyone's body is different and what works for one person may not work for you.
    Do remember that there WILL be good days and there will be bad days.
    Don't beat yourself up over the bad days.
    Don't reward yourself with food for the good days (think of non-food rewards).
    Do set small goals and larger goals. Make them both achievable (Daily short term can be drinking 8 glasses of water or cutting out sugary beverages, weekly can be eating out only one day, monthly can be to lose X amount of weight, etc).
    Don't expect the weight to come off over night. It will take time, patience and dedication.
    Do use MFP every day and log everything you eat.
    Do use your friends to support and cheer you on.
    Do ENJOY your weight loss journey. It doesn't have to be miserable if you learn to supplement foods and eat your favs but in much smaller portions.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Mine?

Do not eat an entire chocolate cake.
    Drink an A$s load of water.
    PORTION CONTROL (I have issues)
    Eat veggies, LOTS of veggies.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Oh and eat lots of protein, it will make you feel much fuller ;-)
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Mine?

Drink an A$s load of water.
    PORTION CONTROL (I have issues)
    Eat veggies, LOTS of veggies.

Mmmmm... chocolate cake
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Don't get so wrapped up in this you can't think about anything else
    Don't freak out when the scale does whatever it wants to
    Don't compare yourself to other people
    Don't beat yourself up when you enjoy a meal out or a party (track it and own it)

Do eat less than you burn
    Do track everything you eat (everything)
    Do exercise of some kind more days than not
    Do aim for protein and fiber at every meal to keep full on less
    Do get 5-10 servings of fruits and veggies daily... different colors is a plus
    Do drink plenty of water so that you pee clear at least once a day
    Do enjoy your life!

bump!!!^^^^^^ this
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    DON'T stress when you go over your calories... it happens and there is always tomorrow.
    DON'T lose too fast.
    DON'T freak out when you've lost 20lb and you don't see a difference... others do see it and if they are nice they will tell you.
    DO take before, during, and after pictures. You don't have to share them with anyone, but they help you stop freaking out when you don't see a difference.

DO watch your sodium. It makes you retain water and then makes the scale do scary things... like make you cry. When that happens drink TONS of water!

bump^^
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Do remember that everyone's body is different and what works for one person may not work for you.
    Do remember that there WILL be good days and there will be bad days.
    Don't beat yourself up over the bad days.
    Don't reward yourself with food for the good days (think of non-food rewards).
    Do set small goals and larger goals. Make them both achievable (Daily short term can be drinking 8 glasses of water or cutting out sugary beverages, weekly can be eating out only one day, monthly can be to lose X amount of weight, etc).
    Don't expect the weight to come off over night. It will take time, patience and dedication.
    Do use MFP every day and log everything you eat.
    Do use your friends to support and cheer you on.
    Do ENJOY your weight loss journey. It doesn't have to be miserable if you learn to supplement foods and eat your favs but in much smaller portions.

^^ This too!
  • Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    DON'T lose too fast.

This /\
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I love this.

I came in here expecting to see some stupid bull about "don't eat after 8PM" or "don't skip breakfast" or "eat 6 small meals", or " no carbs at bedtime"...I was going to RAGE...

but somehow all the SMART people gravitated to this one thread all at once.
    :heart: