Bread & Tortillas

Options
Anyone found a great low calorie bread (that doesn't taste like cardboard) and tortillas?

Replies

• ppahler
    ppahler Posts: 16
    Options
    Sara Lee Delightful bread is actually pretty normal tasting. It is 45 cals per slice. It is usually a little more expensive than regular bread, but I think its worth it. As far as tortillas, I'm still looking... They do tast like cardboard! For now I just eat the small soft taco size...
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Kroger has a lite wheat bread that I like. 80 calories for 2 slices, and is just like normal bread!
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Orowheat has these 100 calorie sandwich thins that are really good. For tortillas, I've switched to corn. I nuke them to make them soft.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh and mission thin corn tortillas- 40 calories per tortilla.:smile:
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I like the Sara Lee Delightful better than Kroger light.

I use the Oroweat Sandwich Thins in place of hamburger buns. Both of these can be found at Costco for cheaper than grocery stores.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas are lower cal and IMO better. If it's still too stiff after you nuke it for 10 seconds, sandwich it between damp paper towels and try again. I got addicted to corn tortillas on a mission trip in Honduras and flour's never done it for me since. I've even made them on the pancake griddle to get my hot corn tortilla fix. :laugh:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If anyone has found any of these or anything like it in Canada - Toronto area to be specific, I would love to know....so far I haven't found any of these low cal breads
  • geoshe
    geoshe Posts: 1
    Options
    Arnolds sandwich thins in a bunch of different flavors. 100 calories and a lot of fiber. So many creative things you can do with them.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The Orowheat Sandwich Thins (100 cal) are awesome. They are really good with a turkey burger, tuna salad or just regular sandwich.

Corn tortilla definitely. If not, I think Mission makes a low cal tortilla.

Kroger has an awesome light bread that is 80 cals for 2 slices. They are a tad bit smaller than a regular loaf, but they have great flavor. They are made by Mrs. Bairds so they may have one too.

I don't know if you have one in your area or not, but if you are trying to cut expenses, both the bread and sandwich thins can be purchased at the Mrs. Baird's bakery outlet. The factory is here in Fort Worth so I have access to several in this area. The loaf of bread is about 89 cents and the sandwich thins are $1.70 for a package of 16 or $1.09 for a package of 8.

I hope this helps.
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Nichols has a bread that is 35 calories per slice, they have white and wheat and it tastes great.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee Delightful bread is actually pretty normal tasting. It is 45 cals per slice. It is usually a little more expensive than regular bread, but I think its worth it. As far as tortillas, I'm still looking... They do tast like cardboard! For now I just eat the small soft taco size...

Exactly, We use the Sara lee Delightful too.

Tortilla's? We use Mama Lupe's Fajita size. I think they're like 66 or 70 calories each.
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    my favorite tortilla is josephs flax oatbran and whole wheat tortillas. Only 70 cals and low carb and i love them!
  • ppahler
    ppahler Posts: 16
    Options
    Weight watchers also has a bread at 45 calories a slice. It is high in fiber too.
  • cnbenton
    Options
    I also love the Oroweat (Arnold's in the East) Sandwich Thins. Just enough bread to make you feel like you are haivng bread but only 100 calories for the whole bun and it is regular bread so I don't have to eat the yucky light stuff. I get them at HEB or Costco. I also saw that Earth Grains has a new sandwich thin that looks very similar, but I haven't tried it yet.

For tortillas I like the Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas. 120 calories for the medium soft taco size, which is a little high, but good nutrition with 11g of fiber and 5 g of protein. And they taste really good! I use them to make personal pizzas. They crisp up really nice in the oven.

I also like the La Tortilla Facotry Smart and Delicious Soft Wraps. The Tomato Basil is sooooo good! Only 100 calories for a huge wrap, 12 g of fiber and 9 g of protein. I like to make a wrap with some homemade hummus, avacado, tomoato, and chicken breast. Yummy!

I just got some of the Nature's Own 100 Calorie Multi Grain English Muffins. I noticed that Thomas's also has a 100 calorie english muffin. I haven't tried these yet but I will post after I do and let you all know how they are.

One more suggestion, if you don't mind paying shipping, Western Bagel can be ordered online. They have a product called the Alternative Bagel which is lower calorie, higher fiber and higher protein. They also have Alternative English Muffins, and Alternative Pita. All of which can be ordered off of their website: www.westernbagel.com

Cari
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Lately, I've been eating Tumaro's Low in Carbs tortillas. They are only 100 calories each with 8 grams of fiber (I use the multi-grain ones). They don't contain any HFCS or artificial sugars.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I also love the Oroweat (Arnold's in the East) Sandwich Thins. Just enough bread to make you feel like you are haivng bread but only 100 calories for the whole bun and it is regular bread so I don't have to eat the yucky light stuff. I get them at HEB or Costco. I also saw that Earth Grains has a new sandwich thin that looks very similar, but I haven't tried it yet.

I love those Oroweat Thins too! I just discovered them at Wal-mart...really good!
    For tortillas I like the Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas. 120 calories for the medium soft taco size, which is a little high, but good nutrition with 11g of fiber and 5 g of protein. And they taste really good! I use them to make personal pizzas. They crisp up really nice in the oven.

I like those as well, but I make burritos for dinner, and the burrito size has 21g of fiber! :noway: I find that they are too expensive though. It stinks, but I will buy the flour tortillas (a 10 pack for $1.39) instead of the high fiber tortillas (8 pack for almost $5) just because of the price. Sometimes I'll splurge and get the high fiber ones, but not very often.

One more suggestion, if you don't mind paying shipping, Western Bagel can be ordered online. They have a product called the Alternative Bagel which is lower calorie, higher fiber and higher protein. They also have Alternative English Muffins, and Alternative Pita. All of which can be ordered off of their website: www.westernbagel.com

You can also get Alternative Bagels at Wal-mart, it's usually near the dairy section. Those are yummy too!
  • cnbenton
    Options
    You can also get Alternative Bagels at Wal-mart, it's usually near the dairy section. Those are yummy too!

Wow! Had no idea you could get the Alternative Bagels at Wlamart! I'll have to check for them there.

Cari
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    For tortillas, my favorite is the Ole Mexican Xtreme Wellness/ low carb/ high fiber tortillas. 71 calories and 12g of fiber and they do NOT taste like a lot of the low-carb tortillas. I can only find them at Kroger in with the Mexican foods (not in the refrigerated section like a lot of the tortillas). The La Tortilla brand ones aren't too bad, but do have more of a *low carb* taste to them.

I buy the Santa Fe whole grain tortillas for my dh and kids at Sam's club. They are really soft and good also! 100 calories and 7g fiber in them.

I am not a huge bread eater, but I do like the Brownberry/ Arnold's breads. The double protein is good. My family loves the 100% whole wheat bread.
  • momie0205
    momie0205 Posts: 232
    Options
    The Orowheat Sandwich Thins (100 cal) are awesome. They are really good with a turkey burger, tuna salad or just regular sandwich.

Corn tortilla definitely. If not, I think Mission makes a low cal tortilla.

Kroger has an awesome light bread that is 80 cals for 2 slices. They are a tad bit smaller than a regular loaf, but they have great flavor. They are made by Mrs. Bairds so they may have one too.

I don't know if you have one in your area or not, but if you are trying to cut expenses, both the bread and sandwich thins can be purchased at the Mrs. Baird's bakery outlet. The factory is here in Fort Worth so I have access to several in this area. The loaf of bread is about 89 cents and the sandwich thins are $1.70 for a package of 16 or $1.09 for a package of 8.

I hope this helps.

I have been by the plant it smells amazing. The kroger brand is 89 cents? I have been buying the mrs. Bairds 100% wheat I think and it is double that if not more.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My favortie brand is Healthy LIfe. They make all different breads that are 35-50 cals a slice. The are also filled with tons of fiber, no HFCS either. They make english muffins that are great too!
    I am not sure if they are sold nationwide, I live in Chicago....