P90X Questions

Options
Hey everyone! So one of my goals is I want to complete the P90X workout program. I just have a few questions for those of you who have done the program:

-is it possible to do this program while still overweight?

-which schedule did you do, and what results did it give you? weight loss? body fat percentage? inches? success stories?

-any advice you could give to somebody interested in trying the program?

Thanks for any help!!! =)

Replies

• running4myfuture
    Options
    Bump.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you wont necessarily lose tons of weight because its a lot of strength training and you have a eat a lot to build muscle

that being said, if you stay on the fat shredder diet plan the whole time (which suuuuucks) you can lose more weight
    but even if you dont lose as much weight youll gain enormous amounts of strength and stamina that are really beneficial
    and yes you can do it while still overweight, a lot of the workouts can be pretty intense so you might want to try to lean program first or just modify
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do the program while overweight. You just do your best, and you WILL get stronger.

I did and am currently doing the classic program. Did not see weight loss, but did see inches lost, which is what matters most to me.

"Just do your best...and forget the rest." :happy:

Good luck to you!
  • running4myfuture
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I can live with not losing much weight if body fat percentage/inches/general appearance/strength/stamina all improve. Is this program good for that?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm currently going onto the third week of the P90x program.

So far, I've definitely lost a bit of weight for it, and my body looks a lot better. I'm not following the P90x nutrition plan (where you eat 2000+ calories and very high protein), but trying to eat sensibly with high protein (1500 cals a day). I'm doing the regular p90x six days per week.

Some things I've learned:
    - It's OK to do the program when you're overweight. I'm not sure how overweight you are, but I'm about 40-50 lbs overweight and it's completely fine for me (although I've always been very active). If you're very overweight, I'd suggest modifying the "plyometrics" day by doing cardio X instead, as it's less rough on your joints.

- I personally think it's important to do the entire program - 6 days - with the routines in that order. A lot of people will skip yoga or kenpo, but I don't think you're getting as much out of it. I feel like every workout is there for a reason.

- The program is good in that if you follow it, it forces you to work out for 60-90 mins 6x a week. And you have a great feeling of accomplishment when you're done!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any more questions. Or add me if you'd like support on your p90X journey!
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others here... I have only been on p90x for 6 days and I love it! It's great to get a great work out in. I'm over weight by 20 pounds but I do not have the luxury of youth either, I'm 52 and I am very impressed with the program, I feel stronger than I have...ok in this week I increased my pull ups by 1 ( I use 2 bands on my pull up machine) but it was an increase. It took me over a year to get up the nerve to try it...so glad I did, I am so motivated to do this everyday but I think I'm taking one day off.

I am not doing the nutrition they suggest either and my calories are low so I need to boost my calories by adding another protein drink to my diet and probably a multi vitamin.

I have not seen any weight loss but my body feels firmer...I'll keep you posted on my progress if your interested. Please add me if you'd like.
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you have a good level of fitness go for it, if not do p90 first this will give u a base physique.
  • mets86champs
    mets86champs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I completed the P90X workout last fall, and I'm about to start it again. I started out doing just whatever i could, and slowly I was able to do a complete 90 minute daily workout. I lost 25 pounds in the 1st 2 months. Didn't lose anything in the final month, but continued to see body changes.

I didn't follow the beachbody meal program. I cut my calories back to 1300-1500 per day. I didn't read good things about the taste of the beachbody shakes, so I substituted whey protein shakes.

Do the classic workout, in the order they recommend. The results come from working the different muscle groups daily. Once a day for 6 days a week. REST on the 7th day. Record your workout (# of reps, weight used etc...). You'll see better results if you do.

If you get to a part of the DVD that you can't do, fast forward through it, don't rest. There will be parts of the dvd that you either can't do, or you're done a minute before Tony and the others are.

Good Luck
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If you have a good level of fitness go for it, if not do p90 first this will give u a base physique.

So what's the difference in P90x and P90??
  • The_Dude
    The_Dude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I made it 70 out of the 90 days on P90X before I aggravated an old injury.

During this time I followed the diet plan and workouts exactly, except for 3 food cheat days and I skipped the cardio workouts one week as I was on a ski trip where I snowboarded 5 days. I still did my strength training that week.

I lost over 20 lbs, quite a few inches and my body fat % dropped about a 1/3. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think I lost over an inch each in all the areas I wanted and kept the same measurements in the areas I wanted. IE. chest and arms staid close to the same but waist, stomach, hips, thighs all dropped over an inch each with the biggest decrease in my stomach.

When I started P90X I had not been doing any formal exercise previously but was in decent shape from doing lots of wakeboarding.
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think you should start it. Don't worry about you weight or what you can or can't do. Sit down and watch the videos first to get an idea of what you're in for. Then start slow. If you have to start with 5 or 10 lb dumbbells, start with them. When you're doing Ab Ripper (most exercises are 25 reps) if you can only do 5, do 5. Then next week maybe you'll do 7, then 10, then 20.

Don't feel like you have to do it all to the max in 90 days. Most people I know who've done it successfully have done multiple rounds of 90 days and keep improving each time.
  • HydroTerra
    Options
    I am currently on day 50 of my first round of P90X. When I started I was 30lbs over weight and very much out of shape. It was definitely tough but I just did what I could (100%) and little by little each day I could do more. Now I can ALMOST keep up with all the videos. I am using the percentages from the P90X Nutrition plan but using MFP to track my daily intake and I have lost 17lbs, 7% body fat, and 6.5 inches off my waist. I have also gained 7 lbs of muscle in the process. All in all, I would say it is working as advertised. Feel free to add me for support and/or questions.