Natural peanut butter

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I am looking to try different natural peanut butters...I have tried this one http://www.naturallymore.com/nutrition.html and while it was really good, I don't like the separation issue. :laugh: I can never mix it properly, so one spoonful is all oily, and the other is dry and hard as a rock!

Are there any tips on how to get it to mix easier? Has anyone had a natural peanut butter that you don't need to mix? I wanted to try the one I did because it also has omega-3 and flaxseed in it, plus it has less fat and was inexpensive.

I'd be willing to also try almond butter or cashew butter if anyone has a recommendation on some brands.

Replies

• McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I like Krema natural PB - it doesn't separate like the other natural PBs do. Never tried any of the other nut butters though.
  • robdawg
    robdawg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love natural peanut butter too and had the same issue with the separation. You would get to the bottom and it was like concrete. My wife suggested that I stir it all up when I first open a new jar, and keep it in the refrigerator. I have no problem with separation now. Its like the colder temps congeal the peanut oils and keep it mixed perfectly. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
  • CrystalAHS
    Options
    Mix it once really well and then put it in the fridge. It won't separate again. Works every time. I eat any of them LOL. I really like almond butter. The one I buy is made locally.
  • toots99
    Options
    I'll try mixing and storing it in the fridge...thanks!
  • MartieKerr
    Options
    Safeway Organics brand has a non-separating version that is pretty good also, but the mixing and then refrigerating has worked well also.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Skippy Natural. No need to stir or refrigerate and tastes like the original.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    The problem with the kind you don't have to mix & refrigerate is that they're not so "natural" (at least all the ones I've seen & checked). They have additional ingredients and I think they've at least been heated which changes the molecular structure so that it doesn't seperate.

I actually prefer the generic Kroger brand of "natural" peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts, salt). Open it, stir it up really well and then keep it in the fridge & it doesn't seperate again.
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joes around you, they make an awesome natural, creamy no salt added peanut butter. MMMM!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    What I do is mix it up really good then divide it up into small Rubbermaid containers. It's easier to mix up a small container at a time.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I have not tried this, but..........

I have heard that you should mix it then store it in the fridge upside down. I guess then the oil separates to the bottom of the jar making it easier to mix it thoroughly when you take it out to use it.

Holly
  • toots99
    Options
    The problem with the kind you don't have to mix & refrigerate is that they're not so "natural" (at least all the ones I've seen & checked). They have additional ingredients and I think they've at least been heated which changes the molecular structure so that it doesn't seperate.

I actually prefer the generic Kroger brand of "natural" peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts, salt). Open it, stir it up really well and then keep it in the fridge & it doesn't seperate again.

Thanks! I live newt door to Kroger so I'll check it out!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I will store it upside down until I open it. That way all of the oil is at the bottom and easier to mix. Once it is mixed and put into the fridge, it doesn't separate.
  • yellowhouse
    Options
    I think the ones that don't require you to stir have oil added. I look for ones that only contain peanuts and salt (I don't really like unsalted peanut butter. I have been buying mine at Costco (Kirkland Brand). Like previous poster- I keep it on a shelf upside down until I am ready to open it. I stir it well with a knife and make sure to go all the way down to the bottom. I keep it in the fridge and have not had troble with separation.
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I will store it upside down until I open it. That way all of the oil is at the bottom and easier to mix. Once it is mixed and put into the fridge, it doesn't separate.

Ditto! Works like a charm!
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    this may not be the natural that you were expecting but Skippy's Natural Peanut Butter is delicious!!! It is so good. I think I may have become addicted to it...you may want to try it unless of course you are looking for something more natural, although I don't believe there are any perservatives in it.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Mix it once really well and then put it in the fridge. It won't separate again. Works every time. I eat any of them LOL. I really like almond butter. The one I buy is made locally.

I work with a giant (I am not being funny, he really is a giant and wrote a book about it even!) and I have him mix it up for me. I can't get it well mix so I tell him I need his man arms and it does the trick.

I would love to loan you my giant, but it will cost you! (Now I am kidding)

I would ask a co-worker, husband, friend, son, UPS man, ect ect to help you out with the first mix then you will be good to go!

Sorry I had to put in the UPS man because I just signed for a package while I checked him out-OMG me like :love: :bigsmile:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

I work with a giant (I am not being funny, he really is a giant and wrote a book about it even!) and I have him mix it up for me. I can't get it well mix so I tell him I need his man arms and it does the trick.

I would love to loan you my giant, but it will cost you! (Now I am kidding)

I would ask a co-worker, husband, friend, son, UPS man, ect ect to help you out with the first mix then you will be good to go!

Sorry I had to put in the UPS man because I just signed for a package while I checked him out-OMG me like :love: :bigsmile:

LOL or my FedEx man I checked him out LOL
  • CrystalAHS
    Options
    Jenn, you are SO funny! Thanks for making me smile :smile: .

I am definitely going to store my peanut butter upside down until I open it, what a great idea!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    My food co-op has the nuts and grinders (butter maker? Don't know what you'd call them) right in the store. You just grind up however much you want right there. I only do a little at a time, and I never have to stir in the oil!