Lifting weights then running

Options
I just have a question, I have been lifting weights (nothing crazy) on a routine chest/triceps one day...etc, haven't been going to hard at the gym like i used to but i am eating about 1400 calories a day, all healthy food and running 2 miles everytime i work out..

now i hear lifting then running right away is really bad but other sources said as long as u keep the routine of healthy food running and lifting (but not all out lifting) will keep you better in shape fast...

I am doing this all wrong or should i stick to what i'm doing.. my main goal is to burn off pounds but get cut at the same time.. i am new to cutting weight

thanks

Replies

• safiresp04
    Options
    You're on the right track. It takes about 30 minutes of exercise for the body to start burning fat. If you lift, then do cardio, you'll burn more fat and have better results.
  • nemesisent
    Options
    Thanks! just a bunch of my friends are telling me i shouldn't lift then run 2 miles right after, they said its useless.. what im doing differently now is eating a lot better and keeping my calorie count really low, again the goal is to lose weight and get cut, so as long as it doesn't effect my weight loss i'm happy
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, that is absolutely false. Your body burns fat all the time, 24 hours a day and it gets the highest % of its fuel from fat while you are at rest. The idea that "if you lift weights first, you will burn more fat during cardio" is NOT true. It is urban folklore that has been discredited for at least 20 years.

Not only that, it is irrelevant. The fuel you burn during exercise has little to do with losing body fat. Even if you did "burn fat" during a workout, it would only amount to an ounce or so. Body fat loss occurs due to the overall energy balance in the body over a long period of time--not based on any one workout.

Whether you choose to do weights first or cardio first is a matter of personal choice and depends on what you what to emphasize, because one will affect the quality of the other. If you do cardio first, then you may not be able to lift as hard and vice versa. So, either do them on separate days, or choose which is most important.

For me--and this is my choice-- I find that, while doing my cardio first negatively affects my lifting, it's not nearly as much an effect as the lifting affects my cardio if do weights first. So I do cardio first--that's the best choice for me. And every 7-10 days I schedule a "benchmark" strength workout where that's all I do and I don't do any cardio at all except for a warmup.

That's just an example--it's not meant to be a recommendation. Do whatever works best for you.