Is Google maps an accurate way to measure a run?

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
I've been using the directions feature on Google Maps to measure my run distances and work out my pace. Are the distances on there accure enough for my data to be useful?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Its good enough, but it is easier to use a run-specific tracker like MapMyRun.com, especially if you want to run trails or search for specific distances in your area.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Get the Google tracks app. It uses Maps and keeps your time, pace, distance and elevation
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Get the Google tracks app. It uses Maps and keeps your time, pace, distance and elevation

I use this too. It's called My Tracks. (You also have to have Google Earth installed to use it.)
  • bjdw1
    Options
    Sadly, 3G data is way expensive in New Zealand.
  • jennynew00
    jennynew00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i know someone else mentioned it already, but if mapmyrun.com works for you in NZ, that's a great way to go. i use it here in the southeast US and it's great!
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    http://www.walkjogrun.net/ I use this an have found it to be better then google maps
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Try mapmyrun - you can plot your run out on there, and when you plot your route on the map, it 'snap to' the road, which makes it pretty accurate. (You can switch of the 'snap to' if you have to cross over a field or something, so you're not stuck with roads and paths only.)

There's a GPS app for it for smart phones, but I understand about the prohibitive cost. Your best alternative there might be to get a garmin, long term. It gives a more accurate reading than either plotting manually or using a phone based app. Mine is a basic model, cost me about £70.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used the runkeeper website before I had a smartphone to use the app. It tracked the distances just fine. But it's nice using the app that I don't have to remember exactly where I go or where I start.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another vote for map my run!
  • bjdw1
    Options
    mapmyrun is driving me insane. It won't let me register.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyrun.
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I use Run Walk Jog...
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been using Google Maps pedestrian routes too. Am I understanding correctly that everyone is saying this isn't accurate? Can anyone say how much Google Maps is typically off versus the other tools you've been using?

I'm surprised because I would have thought that Google was pretty accurate since they have that street level camera vehicle that drives around tracking everything. Do the other programs use government data or something?

Or is it a difference in app features versus accuracy?

Thanks.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    mapmyrun is driving me insane. It won't let me register.

If you have a facebook account, login through that. (For some reason that always works better for me, with these things!). But I seem to remember you can plot a run without being registered.

Runkeeper and endomondo will also let you do the same job, if you can't get mapmyrun to work. Endo is not quite as good an interface for online mapping, though.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I've been using Google Maps pedestrian routes too. Am I understanding correctly that everyone is saying this isn't accurate? Can anyone say how much Google Maps is typically off versus the other tools you've been using?

I'm surprised because I would have thought that Google was pretty accurate since they have that street level camera vehicle that drives around tracking everything. Do the other programs use government data or something?

Or is it a difference in app features versus accuracy?

Thanks.

It isn't more or less accurate - it's just easier to use bespoke tools.
    I haven't used google maps this way in a while, but the last time I did, it didn't give elevations at all? On the bespoke running mappers, it will calculate your climbs for you too, which can be very useful.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks meerkat70!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's that Google Maps is inaccurate (since I think that all other tracking aps use google maps as their basis). I think most people find that the measuring tools in mapmyrun are easier and allow you to be more precise.
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    You can also use the dailymile to track your runs too!
  • xowyomingox
    xowyomingox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this app yet...I use Nike Run. I love it. You set your goals and your guide tells you what pace you're at, how far you have to go, ect....and you can have people cheer you on on facebook while you run. It's a great app and it doesn't stop you're music if you're using a different app to listen to music while you run. Hands down my favorite app to use while running.
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    I've relied on runkeeper for most of my tracking but when I can't rely on a solid 3G signal I usually resort to mappedometer.com to do my tracking. In my city it is about as accurate as run keeper, as long as I pay attention to the settings I use on mappedometer. Don't let it auto calculate a running route for you, I just pick mapping points that are close together, that saves me the 3Km detours that the auto route sometimes adds.