Is 30 day shred enough?

Options
Firstly, HI! I'm new here but not new to 30DS. I've never been able to do all 30 days but I have used it as a work out off and on. My question is, now that I'm serious about loosing some weight rather than just working out a bit, is 30DS enough?

I'm 5ft2, eating 1200 calories a day and am on day 4 of 30DS. I haven't noticed much change, I've been doing other workouts and eating 1200 cals for about 2 weeks now and I haven't noticed much change. I lost about 3 lbs, then for some reason since starting Jillian I gained weight back....!!!??? So now I've only lost like 1 lb in 2 weeks :(

I'm starting week 3 of my weight lose pretty discouraged and I feel like I'm not doing enough. What gives!?

Also I could use some support, so feel free to add me or friend me or whatever or however that is done.

TIA. Suzanne.

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    While there are other benefits to exercise, it isn't necessary for weight loss. In that sense, 30DS is adequate. If you opened up your diary, it would be easier to figure out what's going on.
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 30DS every day, you'll need to eat more than 1200 calories.
  • serentity78
    serentity78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    day 4 is barely into it....all forms of exercise take TIME and PATIENCE.......mostly your eating has to be good for it to have its full effects and 30ds is more intense than even most 40min workouts so its more than enough. But to lose weight mostly its about eating. I lost 6 pounds on 30ds and I didn't eat very well but lost many inches like 4" all around so sometimes with 30ds some lose more inches than weight.
  • suzebis
    suzebis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!

Spanaval I didn't know about the diary settings, I opened mine. Any advice is so appreciated. I had a date with my hubby last night and splurged on wine and cheese. My first splurge in 2 weeks - don't judge me! LOL
  • Spanaval
    Options
    First of all, make sure you are setting realistic goals. You are fairly close to goal weight, so something like a loss of 1/2 a pound a week is a good objective. Definitely no more than 1 lb per week. Eat more protein. MFP sets that target low. Try for 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Try not to drink your calories. You're better off eating fruits rather than drinking juice, for instance. Make sure you eat lots of veggies and drink water.
  • suzebis
    suzebis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks a lot for having a look. I don't track my water but I drink a lot of water or peach iced tea that I make myself with water and a tea bag. I just miss juice and soda, I used to be a junkie. So sometimes water gets boring, but I'm enjoying the tea I just discovered this weekend.

I guess it's slow and steady for me ...... you said before that exercise isn't essential to weight lose, can you explain?
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    Just make sure you "shake things up" a bit with your workouts after a while. Your body may get too familiar with the workouts and need to be challenged in different ways. But I've always heard GREAT things about the 30DS, so you should be fine :smile:
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have to reply, only because you remind me so much of myself last year. I am 5'3" and after I had my last baby and got rid of the initial weight, I was still about 140 lbs. I tried Jillian Michaels and did it for about four months, eating about 1200 calories a day. I was able to lose 8 lbs fairly quickly (more baby weight coming off, I guess) but then NOTHING for MONTHS. I started doubling up on the workouts and still no changes.

I bought Turbo Fire and it did two things: First, I lost all the baby weight and got down to 115 lbs in just over three months- that was amazing. Second, I HAD to EAT WAY MORE to keep up energy for the workouts. I ended up eating about 1600 - 1800/day, sometimes more. Oh, and third, it made me love to exercise. :-) It is a lot fun.

So I lost weight and ate way more and had a blast. Win. Win. Win. :-)

It sounds so crazy to eat more to lose, but even if you stick with 30DS, try increasing your calories. Your metabolism will stay slow unless you are constantly feeding it. I do wonder sometimes if I had increased my calories while doing 30DS if I would have lost more. I don't think I would have lost it all though. I never felt the decreased energy during those workouts that I did with Turbo Fire.

Good luck!!!!!
  • vicyvix
    vicyvix Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Stick to it. You may not be losing weight but everyone i've seen who has done it has seen fantastic results. Take pictures and measurements, often they are a better guide than purely relying on the scales!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate diet sodas or teas, but if you get too bored with water Wylers has a single serving powder pink lemonade packet that is really good.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    I guess it's slow and steady for me ...... you said before that exercise isn't essential to weight lose, can you explain?

It all pretty much boils down to a calorie deficit. Eat less than you expend, and you'll lose weight. You can create that with pretty much no exercise. In addition to its other benefits, exercise does give you more calories to work with, however.
  • MarthaLoraine
    MarthaLoraine Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how much weight people have lost doing the 30 day shred straight for all 30 days.
    I'm really hoping to get closer to my goal weight or even hit it by the end of thirty days. i only have like ten lbs left to lose.