Anyone have a Polar HRM? Anyone else have this problem?

Options
2»

Replies

• flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Wow. I have an FT4 and I've never had this problem. I agree that it sounds like a bad strap or one that isn't connecting properly.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 and have had it for ove 1year without a problem. Im think possibly you need to wet the strap more before putting it on and not too loose or try washing it may need some clean up. Also for women if you wear underwire bra becareful it dosent knock the transceiver off the strap. Just my opinion if it is defective definitely get that checked. And I agree its the store responsibility to do exchanges and such not the customer walmart try to do that with a tv I had ordered from the website but I stayed my ground and yup they did the work not me! GL!
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Just got mine this past weekend. Have not really had it long enough to notice any problems yet. So far it working fine. But just fine myself looking at the watch often to see if I'm in range. But will be on the look out for any problems.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am sick of my Polar hrm, I've sent it back to Polar twice now, the first time they said they replaced the battery and changed some electrodes in the strap. It worked for about 5 workouts when it went back to it's original problem, showing either no heartbeat or over 200.

The second time they sent me a new strap, it's worked for about 10 minutes and the same problem happened again. Don't know if I can be bothered to send it back again. :grumble:
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I quit using mine. I thought it was getting interference with some of the gym equipment.
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My FT40 has been going back and forth to Polar all summer. First it was the battery (or both batteries) then the strap was faulty and a replacement strap had a week connection. I was able to use my FT40 for less than a year with one replacement battery in that time and now Polar says all the pieces are good but it still doesn't work for longer that 5 minutes at a time. My FT6 on the other hand keeps on ticking away with no maintenance.

I'm convinced their quality control must be non existent.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started using it. I think it was because I was not getting it wet enough. I started really getting it wet. Running it under the water right before putting it on. I also wear it as tight as I can without being uncomfortable. Then the problem went away. I also rinse it really well when I am done and hang up to dry. Hope this helps. It did with mine.
    Never had any problems at all. Like the person I quoted, I run my chest strap under running water from the faucet just before putting it on. Try that and maybe it will help.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure the chest strap is cleaned good, I put mine in the dishwasher on the top rack and take it out when it hits the drying settings and hang it on a coat hanger to dry.
    2. When using it make sure the chest strap is tighten up... I have seen mine (FT60) lose contact when rowing,etc.. but once tightened up it was fine.'
    3. I have never just wet mine down, I use the Buh Bump electrode cream with mine, you can get it off Amazon. It does not gum it up, I simple rinse it under warm water when I get home and hang it up to dry. I put it in the dishwasher every 4 weeks or so.

Here is a link to the cream;

http://www.amazon.com/Buh-Bump-2-5-Ounce-Heart-Monitor-Electrode/dp/B000HZD2NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345944987&sr=8-1&keywords=buh+bump

Best of Luck
  • Andybeth
    Andybeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought the cream and will give it one more try. I've tried every permutation of tightening the strap, wetting the strap, washing the strap so maybe the cream will be the magic potion.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    It's probably the strap. Clean it good, wash it, dry it, make sure it's moist when you put it on.

I agree to try this. I wash mine once a week, like the instructions read....