I grew up in a veggie-free home...

Options
...I need some ideas for easy vegetable snacks. I love fruit, but just never think about veggies. I want to get healthy. Thanks.

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like snacking on snap peas, cucumbers, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, and green beans.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I fun a FB page dedicated to vegan dishes that are full of vegetables. You can use a lot of the dishes for sides as well if you like to eat meat. I love my veggies. https://www.facebook.com/VeggieKidAmanda

it has all my recipes with pictures of what it looks like. I hope this helps!
  • LadyCNE
    LadyCNE Posts: 13
    Options
    I love veggies any way. Love to roast them. Seen your post, for dinner I am having a bean burger that has veggies in it, I am roasting a mess of onions, trying a yellow squash, corn on the cob and potatoes fries...450 shake, after 20 min shake 20 min until veggies get some black marks. Oh and peppers. They are covered in seasoning. Spritzed with water several times to replace the water...you could use oil, I just avoid the oil...i

When it's done my hamburger will,have more veggies on it.
  • LadyCNE
    Options
    I love veggies any way. Love to roast them. Seen your post, for dinner I am having a bean burger that has veggies in it, I am roasting a mess of onions, trying a yellow squash, corn on the cob and potatoes fries...450 shake, after 20 min shake 20 min until veggies get some black marks. Oh and peppers. They are covered in seasoning. Spritzed with water several times to replace the water...you could use oil, I just avoid the oil...i

When it's done my hamburger will,have more veggies on it.
  • LadyCNE
    Options
    I am a Nutritarian, on my Pinterest site I save recipes. http://pinterest.com/ladycne/nutritarian/

My favorite is the stacked roasted enchiladas....the roasted veggie, really is the French fry recipe you can find there. Mynfriends that don't like veggies, eat them in there smoothies
  • gibsonland
    gibsonland Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I'm following it on Pinterest.

Carol
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I like eating raw veggies but my stomach disagrees. I can manage lettuce/salads/spinach raw, but most veggies I have to cook or I'll be in agony.

Some days I just chop up celery, onion, broccoli and stir-fry it with a little teriyaki sauce. Other days I'll put bean sprouts in it... or salads with chicken. I've also been making a chicken chilli lately and was going to add more veggies than just tomato as I did last time... corn, celery etc.

But I gotta cook 'em *sigh*
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm always snacking on raw broccoli, carrots and snow peas. If I want a little "something" with them, I'll mix some fresh herbs into some sour cream (works with all levels of fat) and dip away. :)

Kale chips are grand, too.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Carrot sticks and cucumber slices are the classics. I also like cold cooked cauliflower & broccoli florets (and cooked fresh fava beans in season). You could go to a cheap-ish produce place if you have one near you, buy small amounts of various veggies and try them out. You never know what you might discover, and if you don't like it you're not out much money. That's how I discovered fava beans.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i just naturally love plain raw veggies (thanks mom!) but if you wanna dip them in something, hummus is great, or i love to make a dip out of low or no-fat greek yogurt mixed with either a little balsamic vinegar or some sriracha hot sauce. The yogurt is thick and creamy and low fat/calorie enough that you can be generous with it, and it holds the flavor of whatever you add to it really well. (I LOVE the hot sauce/cold yogurt combo as a sandwich dressing too.)
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    veggies and fruit work best with natural fats..so put them with cheese, butter, olive oil, etc...celery and peanut butter, carrots and butter, broc and cheese....apples and bacon and cheddar ;)

dont be afraid of the natural fats - it will help you lower your carb intake which will help burn fat!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Anything dipped in hummus makes me happy.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a canned veggie home and my mom was not a good cook (sorry Mom!), so I had to learn how to eat them too.

I still don't like raw veggies, but I've learned to love roasted veggies.

Basically, take any veggie you want (I prefer tomatoes, green beans, and peppers), toss it with a little olive oil and spread out on a pan. Sprinkle with kosher salt or your favorite seasonings. Roast in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes or so (until the veggies look carmelized and yummy!). Enjoy!!