baked egg rolls

Options
anyone tried this? I was watching Just eat this today and he made some baked egg rolls with chicken and lettuce and they looked soooo good. Hopefully going to the store tonight and I will make my own version of these. If they come out good I will post the recipe.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    hungry girl cookbook or www.hungrygirl.com has a egg roll recipe that is under 200 calories ... i can either post the recipe or you can go to their website .. let me know
  • ACarp24
    ACarp24 Posts: 90
    Options
    go ahead and post it, that would be much easier than searching through the website :)

edit: found it, but it would still be nice to post it so that others can try it....it sounds like a pretty good recipie
  • cnbenton
    Options
    Here is the Hungry Girl recipe:

Ingredients:
    6 large square egg roll wrappers (found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket with the other Asian items)
    4 cups (about half of a 12-oz. bag) dry coleslaw mix
    One 6-oz. can (4 oz. drained) tiny shrimp, drained
    1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, drained and sliced into strips
    1/4 cup bean sprouts, chopped
    2 scallions, chopped
    1 stalk celery, thinly sliced widthwise
    2 tbsp. light or low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp. crushed garlic
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1/8 tsp. salt
    dash pepper
    Optional: sweet & sour sauce, for dipping

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Place slaw mix in a microwave-safe bowl with 2 tbsp. of water, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes. Drain any excess water, and transfer slaw mix to a large bowl. Add all other ingredients except for the wrappers, mix well, and set aside. (For more intense flavor, allow mixture to marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes.) Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying it lightly with nonstick spray.

Place two egg roll wrappers on a clean, dry surface. Evenly distribute about 1/2 cup of the mixture onto each wrapper, in a row a little below the center. Moisten all four edges of each wrapper by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly.

Fold the sides of each wrapper about 3/4-inch towards the middle, to keep the mixture from falling out of the sides. Then, roll the bottom of each wrapper up around the mixture, and continue rolling until you reach the top. Seal the outside edge with another dab of water. Carefully transfer egg rolls to the baking sheet.

Repeat process twice with remaining wrappers and filling, making sure you have a clean, dry surface each time.

Spray the tops of the egg rolls with nonstick spray. Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly. If you like, dip egg rolls in some sweet & sour sauce!

MAKES 3 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 2 egg rolls
    Calories: 189
    Fat: 0.75g
    Sodium: 949mg
    Carbs: 33.5g
    Fiber: 3.5g
    Sugars: 5g
    Protein: 12.5g

POINTS® value 3*

HG Alternative! If you're not into shrimp so much, just swap 'em for 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms and you'll have fantastic veggie egg rolls. Woohoo!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This looked soooo good until I saw the sodium count. Way to high in sodium for me and i don't think I could have just one. poo.
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    Oh! thanks for the recipe...sounds good!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    This one has the chicken in it:
    Rockin' Rolls!

Ingredients:

Eggrolls
    3 La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Low-Carb/Low-Fat Tortillas, Original (not Large)**
    1 oz. cooked skinless chicken breast; shredded
    2 tbsp. canned black beans
    2 tbsp. canned corn; drained
    1 oz. Lifetime Fat Free Jalapeno Jack cheese; shredded
    1 tbsp. diced red chili pepper
    3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach; thawed & thoroughly drained

Sauce
    1 tbsp. avocado
    2 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1/2 tsp. Hidden Valley Dips Mix, The Original Ranch
    1 tbsp. diced tomato
    dash pepper (or more, to taste)

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400. Combine chicken, beans, corn, cheese, chili pepper and spinach in a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds. On a clean, flat surface, lay out tortillas side by side. Put 1/3 of the chicken-spinach mixture in the center of each of tortilla. To assemble each of the rolls, fold the left and right sides in (so none of the filling escapes during the cooking process), and then roll up from the bottom of the tortilla until you reach the top (so they resemble eggrolls). Place all 3 rolls (seams down) on a baking pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes, flipping rolls over about halfway through cooking.

While the eggrolls are in the oven, combine the sour cream, avocado, and Hidden Valley Dips Mix in a small bowl -- stir until smooth and blended. Season to taste with pepper. Top your dipping sauce with the tomatoes just before you serve! Once the eggrolls are done baking, allow them to cool for a few minutes. Then cut each in half diagonally, arrange them beautifully on a plate, and serve with the dipping sauce. Mmmmmmm!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe (3 eggroll halves and half of the dipping sauce)
    Calories: 181
    Fat: 4.5g
    Sodium: 666mg
    Carbs: 27g
    Fiber: 14g
    Sugars: 2g
    Protein: 19g

POINTS® value 3*
    Thanks for the recommendation, looks delicious!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Sassy southwestern egg rolls (hungry girl cookbook)

For Egg Rolls:
    3 original(not large) la tortilla factory smart & delicious low carb/high fiber tortillas
    1 oz. cooked skinless lean chicken breast , shredded
    3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
    2 Tbsp canned black beans
    2 Tbsp canned sweet corn, drained
    1 oz. fat free jalapeno jack cheese, shredded
    1 Tbsp diced red chili pepper
    For Sauce:
    2 Tbsp fat free sour cream
    1 Tbsp mashed avocado
    1 Tbsp diced tomato
    1/2 tsp dry ranch dressing/dip mix
    Black pepper to taste

Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a small microwave safe bowl. combine chicken, spinach. beans. corn. cheese. and chili pepper. Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave.
    Warm tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds . On a clean, flat surface lay out tortillas side by side. Place one-third of the chicken spinach mixture in the center of each tortilla.
    To assemble each egg roll, fold sides in, so none of the filling can escape during cooking and roll up from the bottom of the tortilla.
    Place all 3 rolls seam side down on a bakling sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes flipping rolls over about halfway thru cooking, Egg rolls should be crispy when done.
    Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine sour cream, avacoda and ranch mix. Stir until smooth and blended Season to taste with black pepper.
    Once egg rolls are done baking , allow them to cool for a few minutes . Cut each in half on a diigonal and arrange them beautifully on a plate.
    Top dipping sauce with the diced tomato and serve your egg rolls, MMMM!!!!
    Makes 2 servings
    Per serving (3 egg roll halves with sauce) 181 calories 4.5g fat, 666mg sodium, 27g carbs, 14g fiber, 2g sugars, 19g protein
  • ACarp24
    ACarp24 Posts: 90
    Options
    made some of these tonight with my own recipe. came out pretty good. I will let you figure out the calories according to what brand you use go to http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=5.

Baked egg rolls
    makes 3 large egg rolls

4 oz of skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
    1 cup of romaine lettuce, chopped (you could also use cabbage)
    2 oz of shredded carrots
    3 egg large egg roll wraps

In a saute pan coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken breast strips on medium heat until done
    let the chicken breast strips cool, then chop them fine
    mix the chicken breast with the lettuce and carrots
    place about 1/3 of the mixture in each eggroll wrap, and fold according to the instructions on the package.
    coat lightly with cooking spray
    Bake in a 350 degree oven until golden brown
    not sure of the exact time, but it took mine about 20 mins to get done.
    enjoy!
  • Solandra
    Options
    Trying this tonight; I'd not thought to use cole-slaw mix instead of shredding the cabbage!