new to working out! Have some questions!

Options
So.. Im 280lbs and just started working out (elliptical 20 minutes and bike for 30 minutes) and Im wondering if thats good to start out.. also should I be lifting weights or something? I want to get stronger and work my muscles!! Any info or advice would be great :) Thanks :)

Replies

• RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would use a treadmill over an elliptical since the treadmill is more easier on the joints but yes you should definatley lift weights atleast 3x a week since your a beginner do full body workouts 3x a week and cardio 2x a week ( on your non training days)
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeap, definitely start lifting weights if you want to get stronger and have access to them. If not, a good start would be some decent calisthenic work (press ups, tricep dips, lunges, squats, burpees etc).
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would use a treadmill over an elliptical since the treadmill is more easier on the joints but yes you should definatley lift weights atleast 3x a week since your a beginner do full body workouts 3x a week and cardio 2x a week ( on your non training days)

how is a treadmill easier on the joints??? as far as i know, it's the elliptical that is easier on the joints.
  • musicalsoul207
    musicalsoul207 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to the working out thing myself. And elliptical and biking is both a really good way to start out. I started out with walking at the park and I'm slowly adding some strength training in. If you want to tone your arms lifting weights is a decent idea. I just bought the Jillian Michaels 30 shred and it's a pretty intense 20 minute work-out that incorporates strength training, cardio, and abs, and let me tell ya, it'll kick your butt. At least it has been mine. I've seen a lot of people on here singing it's praises. If you want to find some workouts on your own, pinterest is a good place to look (I found one pin that linked to a site with a good 50 dumbbell exercises which is great for toning). Just do what you feel comfortable doing and don't move on before you're ready. Getting into shape and losing weight and being healthier is a slow walk through the park, not a rollercoaster ride. But at the same time, don't be afraid to push yourself. And don't get too down on yourself if you have an off day (I totally did today). But like I said, the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, that'll totally work your muscles (and see pretty good at motivating as well). Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend.

7117000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • musicalsoul207
    musicalsoul207 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

how is a treadmill easier on the joints??? as far as i know, it's the elliptical that is easier on the joints.

I'm in total agreement with you, that's why I love the elliptical. So much easier on my wonky knees.

7117000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You should check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, it has great info for beginners on strength training. I LOVE STRENGTH TRAINING. Start it as quickly as possible. Strength training and eating enough protein (generally recommended as 1 gram per pound of lean body mass) will help you preserve your current muscle mass and lose more pure fat.

I started using an elliptical because the elliptical is designed to be easier on your knees -- I've been having some ankle problems in the last few weeks so I'm doing the treadmill right now because the elliptical motion kind of aggravates my sore ankles. But, really, the elliptical is great.

Feel free to add me and/or PM me, I started at 273 lbs and have had a lot of success with strength training. I am truly seeing the results in reshaping my body and making me stronger and just better-looking. LOL
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight doing cardio first. Then slowed down the cardio and started lifting. Elliptical is better on the knees and joints. No force contact.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

http://youtu.be/b5e76I1Fcm8 watch this and you'll know why
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like a giid start. you definitely want to add some weight lifting or general resistance training because it helps you to preserve as much lean body mass as possible so you can maximize losing fat
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    When I first got to the gym, I used the treadmill and elliptical to get used to the idea of being in the gym and to get comfortable. Then, I started lifting and it was the best thing ever. I'm loosing much better with strength training. I started with the machines only, but am doing more free weights and work with the cable machines, too.

Pick up a copy of "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and get thee to some weights.

If my fat a** can do it, anyone can! ;)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Have you considered working with a personal trainer - that was what helped me learn the right way to lift and also was a good way to learn core exercises like planks, kettle bells, squats, lunges - things other than cardio that definitely add toning and fitness to your routine. I vary between elliptical and tread mill - do what ever will get you moving.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/b5e76I1Fcm8 watch this and you'll know why

...and why should I believe 2 dudes who can't complete a sentence without cursing, and no research to back it up?

Most trainers and physical therapists would say that an elliptical is easier on the joints.