Renaissance festival costume improvements.

Options
megmay2591
megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
Hello! The Renaissance festival is coming around soon (in my area) and I wanted to make some changes and improvements to my costume. I went for the first time last year wearing this dress:

33kf294.jpg

I really like the dress, but I want to add some detail or lace to the dress and also some accessories. I already have a circlet that matches. I was thinking of buying a hanging chain belt, but I want to add more. I'm not trying to fit into any particular era, I'm just going for a fantasy look. I'll also be carrying around a (sheathed and peace-tied) scimitar, but I don't know how I'm going to attach it to myself yet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, or links to websites with good deals, items, or sewing help.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Definitely the belt. This is tough. I see it and I know something is missing but I can't think of it!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A belt chain with the circlet would look beautiful!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you have a sewing machine, you can get some plain white ribbon (matches the ribbon on the arms) and run a straight stitch around the neck and at the base of the hem.

That might give it a little something else.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a short length of lacy ribbon that matches, I'm going to add that to the neckline since I don't have enough for both, but I may find a regular ribbon to sew to the hem instead.
  • ariadne1031
    Options
    I actually have this exact dress in blue. I can tell you from experience that accessories make all of the difference with this dress. A belt looks perfect with it. The neckline is low enough to allow you to accesorize with elaborate neckwear. A circlet would be beautiful. I always wear silver accesories to accent the trim of the dress. Mine has lasted me three seasons. It's definitely a great, comfortable dress!
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    That is such a beautiful dress, I wouldn't change a thing. Accessorize! A killer necklace, silver, Celtic, with green stones?
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Jealous!! :) I would love to do something like that.

Have a blast at the Ren fair. I'm hoping to go to my first one in a couple weeks.