Anxiety and coping with out food comforting

Options
Now that I am not eating and drinking myself into a food coma, I find that my anxiety is taking over and making it hard to sleep and relax. Any tips? I am waking up early, thinking about everything I need to do and not getting the rest I need.

Replies

• SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I learned how to do deep breathing to combat my anxiety, which I battled for years and had led to depression issues.
    I also had a hard time falling asleep and started a bed-time routine of 1 hour of quiet time before bed, a bath, no electronics in the bedroom, and having a dark bedroom.
    I find that sometimes I need a before bed snack to calm me as well - a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast.
    Also keeping a note pad by the bed so I can write down those thoughts that won't leave me alone!! If I know they're written down it's like giving myself permission to leave it until the morning.
    Exercise is also great for combating anxiety - yoga, pilates, a walk or run or bike ride.

Hope that helps!!!
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Writing? Whether it's fiction or a blog, it can help get whatever's in your head out of you so you can enjoy other things. Even if you don't publish it or post if for others to see, just doing it can be therapeutic.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find that running until exhausted seems to help. Of course, not as much as crystal light and vodka.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I learned how to do deep breathing to combat my anxiety, which I battled for years and had led to depression issues.
    I also had a hard time falling asleep and started a bed-time routine of 1 hour of quiet time before bed, a bath, no electronics in the bedroom, and having a dark bedroom.
    I find that sometimes I need a before bed snack to calm me as well - a bowl of cereal or a piece of toast.
    Also keeping a note pad by the bed so I can write down those thoughts that won't leave me alone!! If I know they're written down it's like giving myself permission to leave it until the morning.
    Exercise is also great for combating anxiety - yoga, pilates, a walk or run or bike ride.

Hope that helps!!!

gr8 advice and tips ^^^ I dont have anxiety really.. but i understand writing things out to be able to be 'done' with em in your brain!!! and i exercise daily.. huge stress relief.. and sleep like a rock and i get to grub the cals back... LOL :bigsmile:
  • Littlegurl
    Littlegurl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Blondie, i suffer from anxiety too, and depression as well. Since I started eating healthier and exercising more I have noticed the same lack of sleep. My anxiety is also making the muscles in my back and shoulders very tight and sore. Lately I have tried to take a couple minutes during the late afternoon (alone in a dark room if possible). I do the deep breathing as well as consciously thinking only about relaxing every muscle in my body. I especially concentrate on relaxing the muscles in my back. It at least helps with the daytime anxiety. I'm going to see if that helps me sleep as well.
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have Anxiety/Panic Disorder but, when mine kicks in bad I do not eat. I totally lose my appetite...Also Depression will go either way eat more or don't eat at all. I am in the last group, I lose all appetite when I am having bad days. You will see a HUGE weight loss on those days/weeks from me but, that is not a good way :(
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    LOL@flobeedoodle ....I hear you loud and clear haha
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

I love this idea
  • sassyzta
    Options
    Exercise and cleaning the house helps me