too few calories?

Options
Hi! This is my first day using MFP. I thought it was going to be a bad day with food due to celebrating my son's birthday but I've actually ended up only consuming about 800 calories! Maybe a few more from, "let me taste your meatball" etc, but I'm definitely under my 1200 goal for the day. It's 9pm now - should I just eat a snack even though it's late to get to my goal. Is it bad that my calorie in-take is so low? Thanks!

Replies

• danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I"m glad you asked that question. I've been wondering if I should go ahead and eat later if I have not reached my calories for the day or not.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first day using MFP. I thought it was going to be a bad day with food due to celebrating my son's birthday but I've actually ended up only consuming about 800 calories! Maybe a few more from, "let me taste your meatball" etc, but I'm definitely under my 1200 goal for the day. It's 9pm now - should I just eat a snack even though it's late to get to my goal. Is it bad that my calorie in-take is so low? Thanks!

Yes, you should eat something. You should be aiming to meet your calorie goal every day. You can eat at night--your body doesn't process it any differently.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hm...I dunno...

The body is a pretty clever thing. It tells you if you're hungry. And if you're not hungry, then why eat? If you're not hungry your body's telling you everything's alright. If, however, you've come under by a lot of calories but then feel hungry, then obviously go for it.

I try not to eat *too* late, it's probably just a myth, but it's one of those things I was warned against years ago....because you can't exercise it off during the night like you can with lifestyle during the day LOL It's just one of those things that's stuck, even though that's probably not true.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, have a snack.

If not, just learn from this and try to plan ahead to get the calories you need,
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Can you at least have a piece of toast or sliced apple with some peanut butter? When you reach your goal weight you will want to maintain on as many calories as possible. You will want to increase your metabolism so you can eat more and still maintain goal weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your body has no internal clock, you eat to your caloric intake and hit your macro's that is it... but I would advise you eat to atleast your 1200 calorie intake anything lower than that for a long duration is not healthy weight loss... Best of Luck
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    A nibble here and a taste there can really add up over the course of the day. If you really are not hungry, then don't worry about eating any more tonight.

Work very hard to log every single thing you put in your mouth for at least the first 2-3 weeks you're on MFP. That will give you an accurate picture of what you are eating and where you need to make some changes.

Also, if you haven't done it already, buy a food scale (I actually use a postal scale, LOL) and measuring cups and spoons. I was shocked to see how off my perceptions were of food portions. A tablespoon of peanut butter is tiny! I was eating nearly 1/4 cup and logging it as a tablespoon. D'oh!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out if it's a one-off. If it's a common problem for you, try to plan out your meals ahead a little better.

As for tonight- If you're hungry, eat. If you don't want to, don't. If you want to carry over the extra calories to tomorrow and splurge a little- that's fine too. I personally balance my calories over a week rather than a day.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If it were me and I was under goal and hungry and it was at night i would go for a protein based meal and or veggies no complex carbs at night you won't burn them off. start fresh tomorrow but you have to consumme proper food as fresh as possible.:smile:
  • shannonmacquarrie
    shannonmacquarrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I set it to lose 2 pounds per week and then stayed under my calories every day. I began working out and never ate back any of my "earned" calories. I figured, great, right? I didn't lose ANY weight. Week after week... I started to get discouraged.
    After reading a few posts on these discussion boards, I decided to change my goal to 1 pound per week and try to eat close to my calorie goal every day (without obsessing about it). Guess what? The pounds started dropping off!
    If you consistantly deprive your body of the fuel it needs to survive, you will not do what you are here to do - lose weight.
    Please learn from my experience: eat your calories.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Gosh, supermodelchi, if your advice creates the kind of tummy in that pic, I'll do whatever you say LOL
  • VeganDeeva
    Options
    Honestly i miss the mark almost every day... i get full easily and though i eat all day most of the things i eat don't have many calories.....
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    have some cottage cheese or a spoonful of peanutbutter
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    A nibble here and a taste there can really add up over the course of the day. If you really are not hungry, then don't worry about eating any more tonight.

Work very hard to log every single thing you put in your mouth for at least the first 2-3 weeks you're on MFP. That will give you an accurate picture of what you are eating and where you need to make some changes.

Also, if you haven't done it already, buy a food scale (I actually use a postal scale, LOL) and measuring cups and spoons. I was shocked to see how off my perceptions were of food portions. A tablespoon of peanut butter is tiny! I was eating nearly 1/4 cup and logging it as a tablespoon. D'oh!

Great advice!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Gosh, supermodelchi, if your advice creates the kind of tummy in that pic, I'll do whatever you say LOL

Me, too!!
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

you should consume at least the 1200 a day in my opinion... your first day its okay and here and there maybe... but your body needs more.. and fruits/veggies too..u dont want to go so low that you crash your metabolism for the long run/long term!... oh and welcome to mfp!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

She looks great, but the idea of restricting particular macronutrients at night is incorrect. Night time carb restriction is something that bodybuilders and fitness models used to do with the misunderstanding that it created some sort of net fat loss advantage for reasons described in supermodelchi's post.

You can get a good explanation of why this isn't important, here:
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I set it to lose 2 pounds per week and then stayed under my calories every day. I began working out and never ate back any of my "earned" calories. I figured, great, right? I didn't lose ANY weight. Week after week... I started to get discouraged.
    After reading a few posts on these discussion boards, I decided to change my goal to 1 pound per week and try to eat close to my calorie goal every day (without obsessing about it). Guess what? The pounds started dropping off!
    If you consistantly deprive your body of the fuel it needs to survive, you will not do what you are here to do - lose weight.
    Please learn from my experience: eat your calories.

bump^^^^^ yep.. i hear this over and over.... im now 6wks in on mfp.. and the first mo i was at 2#'s a wk loss and only 1200 cals a day.. and i ate em all and when i exercise ( i do daily) I eat my cals back!! and ive lost 12#'s! in 6wks.. good and steady loss.. if you starve your body (not enough cals and dont eat exercise fuel cals back your body starves and stores fat/shut down mode!!! after a mo..(just under) i upped my cals and get 1380 a day now.. and have lost even more.. and have more flex now then the 1200 itty bitty cals! :bigsmile:
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with cbminstrel ...Why eat if you're not hungry?? I know they say ( whoever "they" are ) that if you don't eat your calories a day your body will start burning muscle. I don't go for that after talking to my Dr. He said, if you are not hungry don't force it...The body will tell you when to eat and on the plus side, less cals more weight loss and you're not hungry! Just my and my Dr's opinion. Good Luck