Standing at work?

Options
Hi there! I am reading that "standing at work, upper body active" is burning 1300 calories in an 8 hr day at my weight (195lbs). While that sounds like an awesome thing, it does not sound realistic! I need some opinions on this!
Thanks! Lace

Replies

• macariaann
    macariaann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i agree. that seems highly improbable.
  • robynw0982
    robynw0982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds high. you should adjust your profile for how active your job is instead of counting it as excercise.
  • Lacebopp
    Lacebopp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. I'll do that.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    It is accurate if you're like a cashier or something. 8 hours for 1,300 is 162.5 calories per hour.. that could be less than what you burn if say you work at walmart and are scanning all sorts of heavy things like milk and vacums.

I have a friend on here who works in retail and she has one of those fitbits which calculates her heart rate, etc and she burns an additional 500-600 calories in 3-4 hours of work.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds high. you should adjust your profile for how active your job is instead of counting it as excercise.
    I agree with this. I am a critical care RN who works 12 hour shifts, and sometimes I really run my butt off!
    But I've been a RN for 15 years now, and I was still overweight for many of those years. So apparently that kind of exercise wasn't working for me. Neither did housework or carrying around children. :tongue:
    So I list myself as "moderately active", and I only count the exercise I do on purpose above and beyond my normal daily activities. That has worked.