Pregnancy and Calories

Options
So we just found out that we are expecting and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was dangerous for me to stay on the 1200 calorie a day diet. And what is the minimum calorie consumption I should be eating to be healthy for me and the baby?

Thanks!

Replies

• angelface12004
    Options
    I think that you should stay healthy and eat right for you and the baby, and the good thing about being on this is that you know what you should be eating. You need more then 1200 cals a day now, i am sure your doctor can tell you what you need more of, lots of greens like spinach are great while pregnant, i know she/he will tell you that you can't diet while pregnant but you will still be able to eat sensible. congrats btw
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you will need more then 1200 cals per day, but it probably depends on where your weight is now. My guess is they will want you to maintain not lose while you are pregnant. My plan, when that days comes, is to ask my the nurse when I set up my first appointment how many calories I should be consuming.
    Congratulations!!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say for sure how many calories to eat, but having had two babies myself, I learned a LOT about pregnancy weight gain/nutrition/etc.

How much you should gain while pregnant largely will depend on what your starting weight is. Some women, who are extremely obese, can actually lose weight while pregnant. Some women shouldn't gain more than 10 pounds. The average woman of average size should gain between 25-30 pounds during pregnancy. Some women will need to gain more.

In the first trimester of my first pregnancy, I lost ten pounds. This wasn't intentional- I had BAD morning sickness. From what I understand, you do not need to change your caloric intake at all in the first three months (just eat to maintain).

In the second and third trimester, your body needs an additional 300 or so calories per day.

At this time, I wouldn't worry about losing weight- I'd focus on taking in enough calories to maintain your weight. Focus on growing a healthy strong baby! Weight loss will come once baby is born.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and for the amazing journey you're about to take!
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think the absolute best thing to do, and I think many people will back me up on this, is to ask your doctor.
  • guamchar
    guamchar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First, Congratulations!!!

Second, ask your doctor. If you are waiting for an appointment before you can see him/her, call and ask. Tell the nurse who answers the phone what your situation is, and I am sure that he/she will be able to help. If they can't help, you should immediately get another doctor and probably eat to maintain, not to lose.
  • kcatt
    kcatt Posts: 6
    Options
    Congratulations!