Guilt eating after exercise

Options
Hi. I have been trying to lose weight because of health reasons. I'm at 290 now. But it's difficult to not feel guilty about eating after exercising knowing all the effort and time it took. Like today; I went out to ride my bike for 30 miles but I feel like all this exercise was 'wasted' as soon as I eat something that, say, is not a salad or vegetables...Sometimes I can go without eating for hours but then in the late evening I feel so hungry I have to have something. In other words, It feels like making $500 but losing them in the street accidentally later on...I'm right back where I started...Frustrating
Tomorrow I'm thinking about doing 40 miles on the bike...and then comes the guilt when eating...like all that exercise went to waste...
I know that, Logically, of course, we all have to eventually eat something sooner or later, but the thought is still there. Basically it would boil down to becoming primarily a vegetarian...I've noticed that when I eat mostly greens I tend to lose weight.
I wonder if other people have the same thoughts...?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You need protein in particular to help repair muscle tissue after exercise. It's also nice to replenish your glycogen supply as well. If you do not feed your body appropriately post-workout, you're not giving it enough to fully recover.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    aww.. sad.. i UNDERSTAND what you mean... but its not how i feel.. infact im the opposite.... i get excited to see the # of calories ive burned and that I can grub my exercise calories back! lol :tongue: ... try to look at it as 'math'.. u need calories for FUEL to do the 30 miles (which is gr8 btw!!!) and u need calories to 'live' breath and function.. and you are on this plan and your NET calories (after exercise) is set up LOW enough that you will loose wt..... eating (even non greens) isnt 'failure or 'wrong'... being healthy 90% of the time and random undulging of sweets or whatever (portioned wisely for cals) is fine!!!..and DONT go HOURS w/out eating.. w/these low of cals u should eat way more often.. i dont go more then 4hrs w/out eating.. i eat all freakin day, LOL.. but yeah like 6 meals a day.. or i'd be starving... bad for your metabolism to go HOURS and hours.. i USED to do that .. before MFP.. i would go 8hrs then be starving and eat a GRIP!!!!! and not the best choices...
    hang in there.. and be proud of your achievment on getting out there on that bike.. and eating is part of living.. dont look down on it.. just know its part of your day and try to plan it.. and count the cals.... go easier on yourself :smile:
  • nuphan
    nuphan Posts: 12
    Options
    I did the same thing. You do get super hungry after a whttp://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/718672-guilt-eating-after-exercise workout. What I do is I get full an hour before workout and then eat a smaller amount. I never try to eat back the calorie burned.
    You can definitely add me if you need support #:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • amdnra
    amdnra Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Geeky, MCC and nuphan...You're good people...
    "If you do not feed your body appropriately post-workout, you're not giving it enough to fully recover. " I thought to lose weight one had to create a definite deficit in calories, sort of to 'Shock' the body and jump start it....If I eat 'enough to fully recover', that will set me back to square one...
    "i dont go more then 4hrs w/out eating.. i eat all freakin day, LOL.. but yeah like 6 meals a day.. " Hey, more power to you :smile: ....but definitely not for me....the less the calories, the quicker I'll lose weight...
    Nuphan: Thanks for your support
    I'm thinking and 'digesting' :bigsmile: the rest of all the comments posted so far' For that, I Thank you all. :flowerforyou:
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You need protein in particular to help repair muscle tissue after exercise. It's also nice to replenish your glycogen supply as well. If you do not feed your body appropriately post-workout, you're not giving it enough to fully recover.

I agree...plus I always feel better after a workout if I get some protien. Keep in mind there are ideal things to eat before and after your workout to help maximize your efforts...so don't feel bad for eating after a workout, you still need nutrition.