Kitchen Hints and Tips - Let's list them!

Options

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bump. These are awesome :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Keep a pair of swimming goggles in the kitchen and wear them when chopping onions to prevent burning eyes and tearing.

Good olive oil comes in a dark bottle - clear or light colored bottles can let in too much light and ruin the flavor.

Freeze soups and sauces in freezer bags laying flat on a cooking sheet. When they are frozen, remove the cookie sheet and the bags can be stored in a stack or upright to save space.

If you only use part of the container of beef, chicken or vegetable stock or broth, freeze the rest in ice cube trays to use later (since the unused portion stored in the fridge needs to be used within 7 days).

Use lemon juice on apples to prevent browning.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    if you place 1 tsp of baking soda in the water that you boil eggs in, they peel easier. :)
  • Snoopaloop63
    Snoopaloop63 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Make your own salad dressings. Most store bought ones have partially hydrogenated oils and such, terrible for you! I have yet to find a dressing I couldn't make and they taste great, and save you money too!

If you're making a pitcher of iced tea, put a pinch of baking soda in. It makes it smoother tasting taking away any bitterness
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    B b b b bump! Thanks y'all!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I need all the help in the kitchen I can get. Thanks for the great ideas.
  • allnewellie
    Options
    Super quick egg salad method -

Place boiled, peeled eggs on an egg slicer, and make the slices
    Then turn the whole (now sliced) egg to the opposite direction and slice again.
    Now you have lots of perfectly sized egg bits, and it took about 2 seconds per egg!!!

Black office clips (aka "binder clips") are cheaper, last longer and do a better job that most chip clips - I used them on everything from cereal bags to potato chips.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump something I need to remember...freeze coffee, brilliant!
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    bump
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    rinse pasta off w/ cold water to remove the starch - keeps it from sticking
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    when cutting/chopping an onion, have a damp towel hanging close by, it soaks up the oils so you dont! (i usually hang mine from the bottom shelf of the closest cabinet to me)

invest in a cast iron skillet. from stove top to oven to table all in 1 dish, dinner is served!

invest in some good cooking sheers, you'll save money cutting your own meat

you can freeze fresh milk, bread, cheese, meat, veggies and fruit. fill up your freezer when stuff's on sale (we have 2 fridges with freezers AND a large deep freezer full of portioned out anything and everything, defrost overnight while you sleep)

invest in a 5 or 6 qt crockpot, i LIVE for mine, makes meal planning simple!

make meals in bulk and freeze in portions (or double portions)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Cut lettuce with a plastic knife - stops it from getting brown edges
    Put a wooden spoon across a boiling pot of water to stop if from boiling over
    Baked (boiled) eggs - put them into a cupcake tin, no need to add anything else and pop them in the oven for 28 mins at 160 degrees C , when done take them out and put them into ice cold water. They will peel easier and don't get the chalky yolk
  • alikat789
    alikat789 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Natural quick way to clean a microwave - place water in a microwavable dish (like a bowl or cup or my favorite a 2 cup glass measuring cup) and cook for 5 minutes, leave the door closed for at least another 5 minutes to let the hot steam build up. Open door, remove dish (carefully with oven mitts) Take a clean cloth and wipe down the microwave. If any spots/food particles remain, repeat the process.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oooh thanks for these!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Natural quick way to clean a microwave - place water in a microwavable dish (like a bowl or cup or my favorite a 2 cup glass measuring cup) and cook for 5 minutes, leave the door closed for at least another 5 minutes to let the hot steam build up. Open door, remove dish (carefully with oven mitts) Take a clean cloth and wipe down the microwave. If any spots/food particles remain, repeat the process.
    Add a lemon, sliced up, to leave the microwave smelling sweet
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Use a skirt/pants hanger (the one with the 2 slide-up tabs, or the duckbill clips) to hang recipes on cabinet handles while cooking.

love this, would have come in really handy before my iPad, but i will defo use it for the odd paper recipe i find x
  • santasmrs
    santasmrs Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump many thanks:
  • julzzz4
    julzzz4 Posts: 72
    Options
    :wink:
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    These are great, thanks.