Running in new shoes. foot pain - adaptive or not?

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
I decided to try out some mizuno inspire shoes - I usually run in Brooks Ravennas (and sometimes Adrenalines). The mizunos were cheaper and cuter, and you can get a women's shoe in my enormous foot size (I run in a man's shoe in brooks....)

I got a dull ache along the outside of my foot from running in them, getting worse as the run continued. I only ran three miles, got home, took the shoes off, and all pain quickly subsided.

I googled around and can't decide whether this is just an adaptation to the support of the new shoe that will go if I persist with the shoe, or whether I should chuck these ones in and stick with brooks? Thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but a focused area of foot pain isn't something I'd consider normal. Especially since it went away when you took your shoes off. I don't think they fit you right. I wear Asics shoes and they have been perfect since the day I took them out of the box. No break-in and no sore spots. I think that is the way running shoes are supposed to be.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    The mizunos were cheaper and cuter,
  • meerkat70
    Options
    The mizunos were cheaper and cuter,

I know it's vain. And I'm not normally turned by such things. I just fancied the idea of cute shoes for a change, instead of my black functional ones.... :-)

That said, when I say mizuno's are 'cheaper', they're far from being a 'cheap shoe' - they're still a top range running shoe, with a good reputation.
  • ashleyjoy80
    Options
    I've never switched shoes after I was fitted at a running store for my type of foot. I also have never had a bit a pain from a new pair of shoes either and I've gone through several pairs. I'm of the mind set if it's not broke don't fix it. I understand the desire for a cute pair but get a new pair of regular shoes and just keep your running shoes for running.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My gut reaction, if the pain starts and then gets worse as you run and then goes away after you take them off, is they don't fit right. Assuming the feel alright when you put the on and they aren't a big change is support style and they don't have any weird arch feel, they are probably too small by 1/2 size.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel any pain in a running shoe. Take them back and get something that doesn't hurt. If you can't put on a brand new pair of running shoes and go out and run your longest distance with no pain you've got a bad fit. Pain now will only get worse.

And ignore what they look like. Do I like having a pair of neon yellow shoes? Nope, hate how they look everytime I see them. Do they feel perfect on my feet and have never given me even a hint of pain? Yup, and that makes their hideousness worth it.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    See I would *love* to have a pair of neon yellow shoes... :-) Sensible gets a little boring after a while. I've been loyal to brooks, and they really are dull as dishwater to look at. Ok, momentary frippery has passed. Back to the old faithfuls it is.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I decided to try out some mizuno inspire shoes - I usually run in Brooks Ravennas (and sometimes Adrenalines). The mizunos were cheaper and cuter, and you can get a women's shoe in my enormous foot size (I run in a man's shoe in brooks....)

I got a dull ache along the outside of my foot from running in them, getting worse as the run continued. I only ran three miles, got home, took the shoes off, and all pain quickly subsided.

I googled around and can't decide whether this is just an adaptation to the support of the new shoe that will go if I persist with the shoe, or whether I should chuck these ones in and stick with brooks? Thoughts appreciated.

I understand your problem - I'm a 9.5 WIDE in a running shoe, and Brooks only makes one ugly blue and gray shoe that I can wear (Brooks Adrenaline). I would love to have bright, cute shoes too! Darn my wide feet :grumble:

That being said, pain like that is not good. Definitely take the shoes back and get a different pair. Maybe someday someone will make cute shoes for us!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 10 and a wide foot as well, with just a regular stride. (no over or under pronation) And there was a pair of pink Brooks that were in the final two that I made my decision between. The Nikes that I went with just felt better to me overall, but I probably spent about an hour and a half total going back and forth between the two to make sure.

I actually tried to convince myself to get the blue and grey men's version of the Brooks shoe I was looking it, but there was one little spot that it was touching the outside of my foot, right on the bone, which I knew would end up becoming a chafing point over time. But I desperately wanted the more "drab" looking shoe. I'd always worn grey or black shoes until this point, by choice. Heh

The Nikes I have and love (I'm on my second pair) are the Zoom Vomero+ 6. They were the exact same price as the Brooks I was looking at.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    did you break them in before you went for a run in them? i wore my new workout shoes to work for a full day before working out in them. my feet hurt at first but after they broke in they were fine

Properly fitted running shoes shouldn't have to be broken in. If there's pain, there is a problem with the fitting. Running shoes are a little different than other workout shoes.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Ouch - instant pain in my gut when I first read this post. Personally, I don't believe a good shoe needs to be "broken in" and I don't believe in running through a pain like you are describing. I would take them back to the running store and try something different.

Best of luck <3
  • ashblonde1
    Options
    Wait before you return them. I ran in Rebok running shoes for ages and then bought Asics. I was properly fitted, ran on the treadmill etc... and same as you I had pain around the outside of the ankle when I was running (after approx 4Km).

I was really upset, my new shoes were expensive. I went back to the running shop and they double checked my gait.

The shoes were right. I went on Runners World website and they had a forum comment that recommended for the first three weeks that you alternate your old trainers and your new trainers. The reason for this is that you may have been running with shoes previously that were causing you to use your muscles differently (different support, etc.)

Anyways, long story short, I alternated and after a couple weeks the pain went and I have never been happier with my shoes.
  • Janet1042
    Janet1042 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I have the exact same issue with Brooks. The color options are just bad. I, too, just decided to try out Mizunos (Alchemy) for the first time because they are so much lighter and less bulky looking than my bricklike Brooks Ariel. They are both "motion control" shoes, but have extremely different support plates. I wasn't overjoyed with how my Mizunos felt on the first 4 mile hilly run although absolutely LOVED how light they felt. It just seemed like they were making my muscles work harder than they used to, and not in a necessarily good way. I plan to try them out again before giving up on them. Mine felt OK to wear after I finished running which made me think it might be adaptive, but I'm really not sure. I think I should have just done a mile or two in them on a flat route the first time to adapt my feet to them slowly. And then traded them out slowly over a few weeks, much like ashblonde recommended. It's not so much that they need to be "broken in", just different technology, different support, different fit.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Interesting Janet - that sounds like *exactly* my experience, but in my case with a bit more aching on the outer foot. In some senses they felt nice, but in other sense ... nope.

I'd read similar things to ashblonde, re the adaptation idea. I worry a lot about my shoes, having run in bad shoes previously and having hurt myself, so don't want to take risks...

Ho hum. Not sure what to do now! I was toying with taking my brooks and these to the shop, and see what they think. (They're a very good shop, so I trust their judgement.)