Loose Skin from Rapid Weight Loss

Options
First, a little background:

I lost a massive amount of weight much too quickly: January 2010 I was 255 lbs (5'2"), dropped to 230 lbs by July 2010, and then dropped to 130 lbs by February 2011. I had adopted a very rigorous exercise regime and a dangerously low calorie diet (daily intake ~750-1000 cal), insomuch that I often had a negative calorie deficit of ~ - 1000 to -1250 cal/day. I was not on MFP at this time and did not have the wonderful and wise advise of all of you!

As a result, I became quite ill and lost a decent amount of hair. (ASIDE: To those of you wishing to drop weight very quickly, please do not. It is not worth it, and may cause severe health problems. I now have hypoglycemia and anxiety around weight gain and food.)

I had sustained many injuries from running long distances every day, and after the admonitions of a physiotherapist, took the last 6 months off of running and focused on low impact, lower intensity exercises. Additionally, due to my poor health I was strongly encouraged by my GP to increase my daily calorie intake to at least ~ 1400 - 2000 to aid in my recovery.

As a result of the sudden decrease in physical activity and increase in my daily food intake, I had gained ~ 20 lbs over 6 months. My physician said this was to be expected and encouraged given my current state of health. To be quite honest, I was not convinced given how hard I had worked, and have been quite upset since the weight started coming back on. However, I have regained my health.

Since I have been eating at least my BMR, my skin has shown massive improvement. I still have loose skin/flab on my mid-section and inner thighs. My first goal is to lose 20 lbs I had gained to go back to 135 lbs; my final goal is 125 lbs. This time, however, I want to do it slowly so that I can tone my body and not make myself ill.

Since I am 25, I feel that it should be possible to tighten this skin. I believe that with discipline, dedication, and the correct toning exercises surgery should not be necessary. I have heard many of you mention in passing Jillian Michaels (?) work out videos; I also could not help but notice that many of my fellow MFpals are incredibly toned.

For those of you who have lost weight rapidly, how have you addressed the flabby/ loose skin areas? Can anyone suggest or direct me to a resource that clearly and concisely outlines a regimen that could address particularly "stubborn" mid-sections?

Thank you!

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • csmoore039
    csmoore039 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Glad you are getting healthy again! I get discouraged when the weight is not coming off, but then I try to keep telling myself of the side effects if it comes off too quickly. I have about 70 - 90 more pounds to lose. My perfect weight according to charts and my weight I look healthy at varie. My fear is I am going to lose all this weight and then my skin be flapping around. I am exercising and have already told my husband if I can lose the weight and keep it off for a period of time, I will get suregery to remove the skin. Even if I have to pay for it myself!!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Glad you are getting healthy again! I get discouraged when the weight is not coming off, but then I try to keep telling myself of the side effects if it comes off too quickly. I have about 70 - 90 more pounds to lose. My perfect weight according to charts and my weight I look healthy at varie. My fear is I am going to lose all this weight and then my skin be flapping around. I am exercising and have already told my husband if I can lose the weight and keep it off for a period of time, I will get suregery to remove the skin. Even if I have to pay for it myself!!

I am glad that you are going slowly.

I was told by a plastic surgeon that because I am young and still have most of my skin elasticity, I have a good chance of not requiring surgery. There are many risks associated with surgery, and I do not want to simply go under the knife when hard work and dedication could achieve the same ends.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read on the subject of healthy eating and weight loss, this is what I've learned about tightening loose skin.

1) Weight train: lifting heavy weights (heavy enough that by the time you get to the 10-12 rep you can barely lift the weight) will not bulk you up but will create nice muscle tone to help fill in loose skin. Bonus is that it increases your metabolism and gives you a nice shape. My favorite ways to weight train are with Beachbody's programs: Les Mills Pump and ChaLean Extreme.

2) Get rid of as much sugar as possible: according to Eat Clean diet author, Tosca Reno, sugar attacks your cells and makes your skin look bad. If you cut it out as much as possible (ie don't add sugar to things, avoid processed foods. The natural sugar in the form of whole fruits is ok though) you skin will improve.

Hope that helps!

PS
    If you haven't read the Eat Clean Diet, you should! I learned so much about how to eat healthy in that book.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You might want to read this article (it's an intro to sell a book but it has very good points…): http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm