Confused and in need of more simple terms...

Options
I just signed up, and am very happy with my decision to do so. I needed a lifestyle change, and I feel this site will do the trick. I try to read as many posts as I possibly can, so I can educate myself. Knowledge is power, right?!?

I have yo-yo'd my whole life. In my 20's I starved myself and used supplements to lose weight. It used to work well....then I hit 30!! It no longer works and I am more aware of how badly I hurt my body. I am using this site to jumpstart a healthier chapter. I checked in my goals and was given a daily number of 1200. I thought, great, that'll be easy, but as I am reading more and more, I am confused. Some posts say eat more than the daily goal...some say less. Not to mention, from starving myself for so long, I am finding it hard to eat so much all day. I need a simple explanation, without abbreviations or technical terms. And no offense, but please don't reply with just " eat more to weigh less". I can tear up junk food like it is my job, but that will not help me!

I plan on eating fruit, veggies, chicken, turkey, and fish. I cut out most cheese and am convedting my condiments to "light" or "fat free" versions. I added at least 30 additional minutes of activity a day...biking, walking, jogging, etc. Most importantly, I quit smoking and alcohol. To summarize, Do I eat the 1200 a day or more?

Replies

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    How much calories you eat a day really depends on how much you want to lose and how quick.
    MFP has set the minimum at 1200cals, because that is roughly the minimum your body needs to function. Lower than that would be considered a crash diet, bad for you. When you exercise, you should eat back the calories you have exercised off.

What I'm doing is that I eat 1200cals until I have lost 20 pounds. Then I add 200 cals every time I lose 5 pounds, to transfer into maintenance when I get to my goal.

And "eat more to weigh less" is when people are eating 1200 cals and still not losing weight, sometimes that can be just because their body isn't getting enough and then starts saving everything it gets. So sometimes it can help to eat more, but you can find that out later. Obviously eat more to weigh less doesn't mean junk food, but lots of healthy food.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You haven't really said enough, to be honest - are you a 4'-10" 130 lb person or a 200+ heavyweight ?

MFP works from an estimate of what you burn, based on what you tell it. If you set a modest weight loss rate of 0.25 or 0.5 lbs per week and it gives you a 1200 target then your being held up at the minimum setting and should eat that for a month to see what happens.

If 1200 is scary low for you, try 1500 for a month. If you persistently gain then knock 200 off.

Avoid low fat / diet / lean product things, they replace healthy fats & oils with modified starches, sugars and the like.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    Avoid low fat / diet / lean product things, they replace healthy fats & oils with modified starches, sugars and the like.

If you do this, you also won't have as hard a time eating all your calories. Foods with healthy fats, like nuts or avocados, have more calories for the amount that you get than would fat free or light foods.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If you do this, you also won't have as hard a time eating all your calories. Foods with healthy fats, like nuts or avocados, have more calories for the amount that you get than would fat free or light foods.
    [/quote]

This is so true. While reading labels is tedious, it is educational. Also, some of the chemistry used to make the lo-sugar, lo-fat, etc., choices to make them palateable cause unintended health problems, notably digestive problems.

Friend me if you wish.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options

... am convedting my condiments to "light" or "fat free" versions.

Don't. Fat is good for you and the low fat versions are loaded with sugar.

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but "eat more to weigh less" works. I'm 5'4" and have lost 37 pounds. I eat 1550-2000 calories per day depending on if I exercise or not. "Eat more" does not give you permission to load up on junk. You need a balanced diet with plenty of protein and you should be working in some strength training to build up calories burning muscle.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Start with the 1200 calories for now but go 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. Do this for a few weeks and see how you are responding. Adjust from there
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the above posters. MFP works if you use it properly and you don't need to know or worry about any fancy terms.

Enter your stats and activity level (this is daily activity not counting exercise). Set an appropriate weight loss rate as far as pounds per week loss -- most people set too aggressive of a goal IMO. I have seen this posted as a guide

75+ to lose = 2lbs 
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs 
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs 
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs 
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

Eat at least 1/2 your exercise calories back.

Obviously you also need to be obsessive about measuring food, eyeballing or estimating will usually leave you eating more than you think. Also agree that, especially if you are having trouble meeting your goal, don't eat "diet" products. You don't necessarily have to eat more to consume more calories.

Hope this helps.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

... am convedting my condiments to "light" or "fat free" versions.

Don't. Fat is good for you and the low fat versions are loaded with sugar.

I know you said you don't want to hear it, but "eat more to weigh less" works. I'm 5'4" and have lost 37 pounds. I eat 1550-2000 calories per day depending on if I exercise or not. "Eat more" does not give you permission to load up on junk. You need a balanced diet with plenty of protein and you should be working in some strength training to build up calories burning muscle.

Eat more to weigh less is basically just having a smaller deficit. Having as small a deficit as you can tolerate while still being satisfied with the rate of loss is the way to go in my opinion. I agree many people automatically pick the "lose 2 lbs a week" option, are put on a 1000 cal daily deficit, and it isn't going to work for any sustainable length of time unless you have a significant amount of weight to lose.

The only problem with a smaller deficit is you have to be more meticulous about measuring calories in and calories burned because your deficit is more easily erased by estimation errors.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just signed up, and am very happy with my decision to do so. I needed a lifestyle change, and I feel this site will do the trick. I try to read as many posts as I possibly can, so I can educate myself. Knowledge is power, right?!?

I have yo-yo'd my whole life. In my 20's I starved myself and used supplements to lose weight. It used to work well....then I hit 30!! It no longer works and I am more aware of how badly I hurt my body. I am using this site to jumpstart a healthier chapter. I checked in my goals and was given a daily number of 1200. I thought, great, that'll be easy, but as I am reading more and more, I am confused. Some posts say eat more than the daily goal...some say less. Not to mention, from starving myself for so long, I am finding it hard to eat so much all day. I need a simple explanation, without abbreviations or technical terms. And no offense, but please don't reply with just " eat more to weigh less". I can tear up junk food like it is my job, but that will not help me!

I plan on eating fruit, veggies, chicken, turkey, and fish. I cut out most cheese and am convedting my condiments to "light" or "fat free" versions. I added at least 30 additional minutes of activity a day...biking, walking, jogging, etc. Most importantly, I quit smoking and alcohol. To summarize, Do I eat the 1200 a day or more?

Sorry you don't want to hear it, but eating more might be a solution to you. And no, we don't all "tear up junk food" to get our extra calories. And even if we did, most people here believe it's calories in, calories out. Eating "healthy" food has nothing to do with weight loss - it definitely has health benefits, but you don't need to eat certain foods to lose weight.

Also, don't go with the low fat, light versions of anything. What you save on calories is wasted on sodium, extra sugar, chemicals, etc. Not worth the trade off.

Check out this information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It shows you how to set up your calorie goal so you can lose weight and still have a good calorie goal (so you don't feel deprived). I think this is key - doing this in moderation will make you more likely to succeed long term.
  • lisa27midd
    Options
    Thanks all. I didn't mean to imply I would eat more by eating junk. Oops! And, I'll have to watch the low fat or diet options. I guess I need an example of a 1200 a day diet. I'm checking google...lol. The replies have made it easier to understand.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'd look for some friends on here who have open diaries and see what they are eating for inspiration. I eat more like 1450 calories a day, but am happy to have new friends.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Check out this very informative article to start out - http://www.yourmodernliving.com/dos-and-donts-for-increasing-your-metabolism/#
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Sorry you don't want to hear it, but eating more might be a solution to you. And no, we don't all "tear up junk food" to get our extra calories. And even if we did, most people here believe it's calories in, calories out. Eating "healthy" food has nothing to do with weight loss - it definitely has health benefits, but you don't need to eat certain foods to lose weight.

Also, don't go with the low fat, light versions of anything. What you save on calories is wasted on sodium, extra sugar, chemicals, etc. Not worth the trade off.

Check out this information: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It shows you how to set up your calorie goal so you can lose weight and still have a good calorie goal (so you don't feel deprived). I think this is key - doing this in moderation will make you more likely to succeed long term.

^^^^This! Check out this site. I so wish I had when I started. It will help you individualize your plan to meet YOUR body's needs. You don't have to be hungry all the time. Eating more is not what some people make it out to be. It's not just piling on the food, it's determining your TDEE and then eating under that by 20 - 30 %. As a woman, I thought you had to starve to lose. Turns out all these years of yo-yoing up and down has resulted in failure every time. This time, I am fueling my body correctly, losing weight and know that I can do this for the rest of my life. That's where your success comes in. Sustainability! Best of luck to you!
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Firstly 1200 does sound kind of low, did you include how many days you will exercise in the MFP questions? (Im losing weight on 2500)

I think where you may be getting confused is "Macro-nutrients". Its not all about whether you are above or below your calories, you need to have the right amount of carbs/protein/ and fat. FYI, 1 gram of protein or carbs is 4 calories whereas 1gram of fat is 9.

Fats should always be on 20% to start with. (% of calories, not weight)
    However your protein to carb ratio is where the experimenting comes in. Seeing as you are trying to lose weight and do not do heavy weights you only really need 30% protein with the carbs sitting on 50%. If you don't see results then you may be carb sensitive and would try swop ten % carbs for protein and see.

If you have a buggered metabolism then start eating 5/6 times a day, the constant influx of food kicks your metabolism back into shape
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    eat at least 1200 per day (or try to get as close as u can) and when u exercise you can choose whether or not to eat back those calories as well. if you are hungry, eat back your exercise calories, if not, don't. simple
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Lisa,

There are absolutely loads of opinions flying around - what I found best was to read a couple of the links here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

Its from the bods who created the site and who have done a lot of research into this area. Hope this helps.