Lunch foods

Options
Need ideas for quick and healthy lunch. So tired of salad.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is grilled chicken, beans (pinto or black), some plain greek yogurt, avocado, tomato, some lettuce, a little cheese, salsa - basically a burrito bowl - all the filling but no tortilla or chips. :smile:
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    What about a veggie/tuna/chicken wrap, or a PB&J sandwich. Or oven-baked vegetables? Yogurt with granola/berries???
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Last nights leftovers! A healthy dinner will certainly make a healthy lunch the next day, I even make a little extra on purpose so I can take it to work.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Usually have a turkey and cheese sandwich on low calory high fiber bread with a piece of fruit.
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Sometimes when I am busy with errands, or working around the house, I am thinking, "Ok what's for lunch?" You know how a little idea pops in your mind and it gets bigger and bigger and soon, You Need A Pizza. Well at least that is how I am. Sometimes a salad or a some steamed vegetables just aren't going to do it for me.

corntortillapizza2.jpg

Because I am gluten and dairy free, I am always trying to come up with quick lunches are are delicious, filling, and meet all the necessary requirements - they have to satisfy cravings. I have found making pizzas on gluten free corn tortillas are great. I use the Mission brand of thin tortillas (they are not too thin) and about 120 for 3. I keep 1/4 cup containers of Pregro Traditional sauce in the freezer - gluten free. I also like basic vegetable types of pizzas, but always keep any leftover from dinner to add some pizza interest. Even a bit of chicken mixed with wing sauce makes a great pizza.

Bake three corn tortillas in a toaster oven until they get very lightly toasted. Remove them gently, top with sauce, nutritional yeast - it's a great substitute for cheese. It tastes cheesy and nutty, seasonings, vegetables, bits of leftovers, and a sprinkle more of nutritional yeast. Put them back into the toaster oven for a couple of minutes on broil. The vegetables will cook down, and the flavors will get all mixed together... just like a pizza. If you can eat cheese, sprinkle some under and over the vegetables.

When I was working, I had a toaster oven at work, and I would bring a small plastic container with all my chopped vegetables ready and mixed into the sauce. I just browned my corn tortillas and then topped with the prepared sauce and veggies and turned to broil. Within a couple of minutes I could hear everyone going "Mmmm pizza".

Prepared as written without cheese the total calories for 3 pizzas is 200 calories. And they satisfy all my cravings - tomato sauce, crunchy, hot and filling.

If you would like to see a step-by-step with pictures, please visit my MFP blog: It is the fourth recipe down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I was getting sick of salad at dinner and my Mum suggesting adding things to it. I put peppers in with my lettuce, and a fillet of fish or a slice of grilled chicken really jazzes it up.

Other things you could try are a small bowl of couscous, a bowl of soup with a low-fat bread roll...
  • Staceychanges94
    Options
    I'll eat pasta with soya mince and cheese. I'll eat salad too.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Need ideas for quick and healthy lunch. So tired of salad.

A can of tuna with a tablespoon of mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato, on Arnold's Double Protein bread. It gives you about 40 grams of protein for approximately 400 calories.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Quick and healthy lunch - Ask yourselves. What would the french do? </remove lurpak reference>

Omelette. Nomnomnomnomnom!

You can even make it before you go to work, put it in a lunchbox, and warm it up in a microwave!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Leftovers is an excellent idea.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I often take bolognaise with Feta or a chilli, both with wholewheat pasta. Works out at 300 for the bolognaise, or about 400 for the chilli (depending on how many kidney beans you use).

Next up I'm gunna try making my own version of a shop-bought flatbread I really love. Falafels, tomato chutney, hummus and salad in a wholewheat wrap.

If you have a microwave at work then you can take virtually anything!

Chickpea curry, stir-fry, soup, wraps, sandwiches, pasta... :love:
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    I come home for lunch almost daily, usually I make a turkey sandwich w/ olive oil mayo, mustard, cheese, lettuce and tomato. It's under 300 calories and keep me full until dinner. Hillshire Farms Honey Smoked turkey is delicious also.
  • lilaclove2
    Options
    Great ideas!!!

Thanks! :-)
  • SeaFan
    SeaFan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nortx, What a great idea, thanks for posting it!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    My quick go to lunch meal while on a budget is a can of Stagg's chili beans con carne and chips. If not, a Costco polish dog and iced tea :-)