stupid question...alcohol??

Options
So I completely understand that alcohol is never good for a diet or losing weight....

but does anyone else have an occassional drink or a few..? obviously, it will be almost impossible to stay in calories on those days...but any thoughts??

I love a good glass of red wine, a bloody mary, or a fun, unique cocktail...and I would say that I have a couple of drinks maybe twice per week...

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yup. about once every other week i'll splurge on a drink or two. like tonight. i went all out and got non-sugarfree cocktails for once. it was kinda nice lol
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often (was like this before weight loss), but if I do I'll have a few. I try to account for it in my calorie goals but I tend to go over when I drink even though I don't drink much! The odd drink won't hurt, but binging twice a week will.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I generally have 1 alcoholic drink per day and I've lost 44 pounds since January. Funny thing is before counting calories I wouldn't have 1 drink per month! I think it helps keep me sane now :laugh: :laugh:

Edited to add that I stay within my cals for the drink
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    yup. about once every other week i'll splurge on a drink or two. like tonight. i went all out and got non-sugarfree cocktails for once. it was kinda nice lol
    You get sugar-free cocktails? I had no idea!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Ive only had 1 glass of wine since I started my diet couple weeks back... Although its no harm to have the odd drink id make it something special... A good whiskey, a really nice wine or a quality small brewery bottle of stout
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    As long as you're netting under your cals for the week, you're fine. I have been drinking beer (um, like 3 or 4 at a time, don't judge me lol) on a bi-weekly basis and I have still been losing. But I've generally been netting way under my goal for food cals as well...
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    a_stone_girl_dances Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking while losing, too. Usually a few drinks a week while staying in my calorie goal.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    alcohol is never good for weight loss...what? That's not true. I have a glass of wine with dinner 4-5 nights a week. It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all.
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot more, before I discovered I was pre-diabetic and had to religiously watch my carbs. Now I still find room in my diet for alcohol, usually wine with dinner now instead of Mike's Hard Lemonade or Long Island Ice Teas (which are too sweet and have a ton of carbs). Alcohol, like anything, is fine in moderation.
  • para999sal
    Options
    I cut out red wine a few months ago.
    Vodka has the lowest amount of calories.
    Since I replaced red wine with vodka and diet lemonade I have lost a good bit of weight.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I do vodka with tonic & lime or sometimes just plain chilled vodka.
  • teecangel
    Options
    skinny girl is a great brand.... they have a couple different varieties, mojito, margarita etc.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If it isimpossible for you to stay withincalories than I think you answered your own question- it isgoing to harm your efforts. On days Iwant todrink I workout! LOL yesterday I workedout twice....Insanity in the morning, then a nicebike ride, and ALMOST got a run in also. Just be super active, and eat REALLY healthy those days and you can have fun and still stay under calories. :drinker:
  • marybethnelson
    Options
    I have been having one drink per day, but I keep it within my calorie count.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Sure. It's logged in my diary and the calories are there. Alcohol has its health effects and you know them. The mixers (or the carbs, in beer) can be worse for your diet, though maybe not for your health.

Your calories have to average for the week, not each day.

And if you can't fit a drink (100-300 calories) into your days, maybe you should look at the rest of your diary.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have the odd drinks a week and still lose weight x
  • Audrilee1
    Options
    We usually have wine with dinner every night but I did stay away for the first couple weeks - I have enjoyed some over the last two days but have included it in my food journal -

*Note - Crystal Light has 3 Drink Flavors now - Marguerita - Mojito and Appletini - NO Cals NO carbs - NO fat! Tried all three and they are pretty good! Even with a shot of alcohol :drinker:
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yup, me and my husband are not big drinkers, but we do occasionally have a glass of rum & coke/orange or a few beers.
    Keep an eye on the calories in mixers though. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much as long as it isn't too often. Beer has a fair amount of calories in too.

What I generally do is if I think I'm going to be drinking this evening, I'll do a longer workout in the day to balance it out.

ALWAYS log it. If you go over your daily goal, so what? You will learn from it and it's much better than deceiving yourself as well as everyone else.

Everything in moderation, try to avoid depriving yourself of anything you enjoy.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    White wine and champagne are not bad calorie wise.

plan for it and don't over indulge
  • ambrosdm
    ambrosdm Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Alcohol in moderation seems to be fine, especially if you stay within your calorie goals. BUT, drinking often leads to over eating (at least for me). That one glass of wine makes those pistachios, cookies, crackers (whatever) in the cupboard that you've been saving as a special treat suddenly seem awfully good (and irresistible)! I find that when I drink I rack up the calories not with alcohol calories but with other food!