Hurricane Isaac's coming! Indoor exercise options?

Options
Okay, I've got a unique situation. I don't want to get off my exercise routine, but walking in the evening will be out of the question Monday-Wednesday (and possibly Thursday) because I'll have Hurricane Isaac breathing down my neck.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Knowing that I'll be stuck in rainy and windy weather conditions for much of this upcoming week, this is where I can use the help of my MFP pals. What exercise options should I utilize when I'm potentially going to be stuck in my house for a couple of days? :ohwell:

Replies

• Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? A few runs up and down should help. Also, aerobic exercises like jumping jacks, grapevines and all that kind of stuff...do you have any workout DVDs you could do? Also, there's the option of putting on your favourite CD and dancing like a fool for half an hour. :happy:
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Maybe find yourself some youtube exercise videos? I like the idea of jumping jacks, jogging in place, etc. Also, walking or running up the stairs is a great idea!! BE SAFE during Isaac!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Isaac is spreading his 'joy' all over. I am in South Florida getting his rain bands.......

Do you have cable tv? Our Cable tv has an On Demand station that has a sport/fitness channel and you can get workouts to do....Other then that I would recommend jumping jacks, jogging in place, jumping rope, planks, crunches, ......

Good luck.. Stay dry
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here on the east coast of Florida. Tropical storm conditions starting here later today.

I like to do body weight exercises. Push ups, sit ups, squats, lunges, etc. As mentioned above, dancing can also be a fun way to burn calories indoors.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    Do some yoga, tai chi, march to the beat of a different drum (put on some music and walk on the spot, march, dance, work with a resistance band)
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    bump later
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Don't think I'll ever complain about running in English summer rain on here any time soon...!!!!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs
    Wii fit and other fitness games
    Lunges, jogging or running on the spot
    Sit ups
    Push ups
    Walking up and down the stairs

SEX lol :love:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks 1 minute
    burpees 1 minute
    pushups 1 minute
    plank 1 minute
    high knees 1 minute

rest and repeat 5 times.

edit..

ps. I did this exact work out last week with my HRM.. 462 calories in 32 minutes. Can't really beat that now can we :)
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you..I live in southeastern FL...we have a Tornado watch right now as a result of Isaac and Tropical storm weather coming through....

Be Safe is most important....
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Depending on your exercise level one of the Tough Mudder bootcamps will really kick it for ya. I'm started with the Maybe Mudder 3x a week for a month and am now on the Tough Mudder 3x per week.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Grab some beer and run like hell out of there. Cardio and weights, then rehydration.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Push ups, crunches, jumping jacks? I do yoga in the morning to a tv show.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs? A few runs up and down should help. Also, aerobic exercises like jumping jacks, grapevines and all that kind of stuff...do you have any workout DVDs you could do? Also, there's the option of putting on your favourite CD and dancing like a fool for half an hour. :happy:

For starters, my house is only one story, so no stairs on that, I'm afraid. I can do some aerobic exercises, and I have an exercise bike and ab cruncher machine in the garage (not the safest place, I know, but there's not a lot of room in the house). I also have a PlayStation 2 game called "Dance Factory," similar to Dance Dance Revolution, except I can use my own musical CDs and set my own pace. However, if the power goes out (which there could be a chance), I'll just use either my iPod or my cell phone (with access to TuneIn Radio) and make a complete fool of myself.

I just have to make sure both things are FULLY charged first, along with my laptop computer (for info if I have to shelter in the closet).

I live 200 miles inland from the coast, but I fully remember how much damage Hurricane Opal did in 1995. It was still a high-end category 1 when Montgomery did get considerable damage from that storm. I know I'll be on the dreaded east side of Isaac, so I'll be getting heavy rain, strong winds, and who knows what else?

I do appreciate the tips, so far, everybody. Keep 'em coming!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I live in the Panhandle not ground zero(yet, it keeps changing) but close enough. It's looking real good where I will lose power for a day or 2 or 3 or 4??? Trying to hold it together but my diet and exercise isn't the first thing on my mind. Think i'll hit the tread mill now while I still have AC and power.
  • kjjunior
    kjjunior Posts: 14
    Options
    Same issue! Except I've been using my treadmill everyday anyway. BUT if power goes out, I'm going to do some circuit training. Jumping jacks, butt kicks, push-ups, crunches, hand weight activities, etc. I have Jillian Michael's 30DS so I've memorized what she tells me to do. So if I don't have power, I can at least still do the workout
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    check out bodyrock.tv!
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in south Louisiana, we're prepping up too, I'll be doing workout dvd's or treadmill. Yard work in a bit and laundry house cleaning in a bit for our usual hurricane company to arrive when the have to leave the bayou areas.

STAY SAFE!!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight movements. I can't suggest these enough.

Squats, lunges, chair dips, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, primal movements like bear crawl, duck walk etc.

You can do these in your living room/basement (depending on how strong the storm is!) and you'll feel an improvement in a lot of your muscle groups. Good luck!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Well, Tropical Storm Isaac is here right now and for exercise I'll probably just do the sit-ups, squats, and dips challenge. Also maybe a Jillian Michaels workout :p