detox

Options
has anyone done a detox whilst on any sort of healthy eating/diet plan and do they work, I eat and drink far to much rubbish and need to cleanse the system, do they work and what sort of detox do you go on. ie. day, week, etc. Thanks

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Drink water
    Let the liver do it's job
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't need anything special to detox. Stop eating the bad stuff and your body will take care of itself.
  • xoxobollywood1991
    Options
    Yes, I did a detox few weeks ago to flush out the sugar&toxins because of 3 parties in a row. I felt so sick after a weekend of only **** foods, so I had a detox where I only consumed fresh fruits & water. I did it for 3 days, and it was very hard to stick with only fruits but you 'll feel so much better!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'd go with your liver.

Stay hydrated and cut out really fatty foods and all dairy for a little while (like a day or 2), let your liver do its job!
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm going with what has been said. Eat properly, stop eating junk, and drink plenty of water. You don't need to detox, your body will do itself.
  • heathergd1
    Options
    Thanks Guys, info is very helpfull,
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
  • kevinsbarrett
    kevinsbarrett Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I started, I wanted to do this too; however I read exactly what a lot of people wrote. Start your diet and let your liver do it's job by drinking lots of water. One thing I would add that I have not seen in the postings here that I did based on what I read was to start on Psyllium Husk tablets - 6 a day for a week and then back-off to three per day. Trader Joes has them. This definitely helped cleanse the colon and I felt very good within a couple of days.
  • escobar80103
    Options
    Save yourself the money that these detox kits cost...just do what everyone is saying on here. I bought one of those expensive kits and ended up making myself sicker and had to be treated in the hospital.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did a detox few weeks ago to flush out the sugar&toxins because of 3 parties in a row. I felt so sick after a weekend of only **** foods, so I had a detox where I only consumed fresh fruits & water. I did it for 3 days, and it was very hard to stick with only fruits but you 'll feel so much better!

You do realize that it was more of the "3 days of staying away from "****foods" that detoxed your body. It had nothing to do with what ever "detox/flush" you ingested.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that says Liver. Unless there is something wrong with your liver, your body naturally detoxes all the time. One of the primary functions of the liver is to detoxify and purify your blood.

Certainly, you can do a liquid fast or a juice cleanse or whatever but those won't make your liver do it's job any harder or faster.
  • quamira_c
    Options
    you can try to water fast (look it up on youtube) or try juice fasting if you have netflix you can watch "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" that will give you all the info you wil need..detox kits are usually full of more chemicals that really are like taking a step backwards...good luck!!
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never tried it, and I wouldn't. There was an interesting episode of the Fat2fit podcast about this. You can find it here:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2008/04/fat-2-fit-show-28-detoxing-your-body/

They give a lot of info, but the long story short is that what comes out after a detox is actually what you put in FOR the detox.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i literally had the shakes.. rocking back and forth on the couch while weaning myself of a diet that was probably 80% carbs... it was a brutal week, but very, very worthwhile.
  • arose80
    arose80 Posts: 3
    Options
    I considered doing a detox but after reading all these posts on the subject I think I'll just force myself to drink more water, and cut all sugar and dairy for a few days. Quick question though ... when cutting out dairy, is it necessary to cut even 1 serving of Greek yogurt a day? Would it make that much of a difference?? Also, should I cut poultry as well? (I don't eat red meat, pork, or shellfish). As you can probably see I've never done a cleanse, so I could use some pointers :)
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    a lot of detox/cleanse kits are mostly herbs that help your liver be healthier and cause you go poo after lots of colon cleansing bulking fibre.

just drop some lemon slices in water (helps liver function) and eat lots of veggies and frutis (fibre)

easier on the body in my opinion.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have been on the detox diet, called Reboot, it is from the documentary Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I am on day 33 of just juice. I didn't think i could do it but i have hung in there and have lost 20 pounds in one month. I have hypothyroidism and a pituitary tumor, which produces lots of prolactin. I found it very hard to lose weight. So i tried this. I am taking one day at a time, and hope to do the full 60 days. One word of advice, if you do try this, use a juicer, I have the Omega, i have a Vita-mix too, the juice in the vitamix gets way too thick and is harder to get down. Good luck.

Or otherwise known as Anorexia! Your 20 lb weight loss is due to severe muscle wasting. You are doing yourself a huge disfavor and will end up in the hospital with severe damage to your body.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Quick question though ... when cutting out dairy, is it necessary to cut even 1 serving of Greek yogurt a day? Would it make that much of a difference?? Also, should I cut poultry as well? (I don't eat red meat, pork, or shellfish). As you can probably see I've never done a cleanse, so I could use some pointers :)

Unless your liver or kidneys are already damaged it won't make any difference at all.

You really don't need to cleanse at all. I do if I have had a really boozy, red meat filled weekend. But only so I feel a little more in control and virtuous.

This link says what I mean

http://boblloyd.hubpages.com/hub/Do-we-need-to-detox
  • nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "Drink water
    Let the liver do it's job "

I agree. However, the body absorbs Mg easily in a detox bath. I use it every chance I get as an excuse to relax in the tub. :)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A great big hangover will do a nice cleans. THen just eat healthful from then on.....................:laugh: :drinker: